How much snow in your backyard?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in the 12th Snowiest City (per -USA TODAY-), we got a paltry 8 inches (on top of the 12 we had). Which brings our yearly total to 50.8 inches, just above the typical norm of 47.5 inches at this point.

Needless to say, enough snow to ignore the posted "travel advisory" :eek: and head to our favorite local playground to romp in the deep, unbroken white stuff :cool: .

Last edited:
23.5 inches thus far in the Blue Hills and still coming down pretty good. I suspect we will see a huge turnout of people here when the storm breaks.

Took the dog for romp this am and he looked more like a mole going through dirt. :D

To bad the Patriots are not playing at home today.

Peace and Happy Shoveling! :D

By the eyeball estimate, over 20" in Leominster. You can all thank me for this -- my snowthrower died Friday while testing for this storm :D

Now I've got to go out today and buy a new one :mad:

Mark

NY's Hudson Valley-hard to say for sure since I haven't been out yet, but it's less than I expected. Maybe 6-8 inches. It's drifted around in weird ways due to all the wind. Should at least have been enough to help snowshoe/ski conditions in the Catskills and Shawangunks. Weather here in New Paltz tends to a lot more mild than much of the surrounding area since we're down in the Wallkill Vallley. Hopefully the Catskills got closer to a foot.

Matt

I am guessing about 20" here in Georgetown. I shoveled last night around midnight to try and get a jump on it, but it's all drifted in now. I figure after shovelling this tonight I can feel good about sleeping in and skipping the gym before work tomorrow :)

About 20" here in Phillipston too, still coming down pretty heavy. Lots of drifting. The temp is 0, I don't know with the wind but I'm about to find out. There's an undeveloped area across the street from my house, so the big white dog and I are headed out for a few miles of snowshoeing. I'm not as ambitious as Bobmak, I'll wait 'til it's mainly over to shovel. There's a small flock of brave looking dark eyed juncos flitting around in the shrubs.

North Reading, MA

I'm guessing a foot and a half in North Reading, Mass. I just got in from shoveling out my car. I'm thanking as many gods as are out there that this stuff is light and fluffy. It was very easy to shovel. The tough thing is that I'm at the end of a dead end street, and the plows use my back yard/side yard as the dumping point for snow.

Anyone wanna make snow angels???!!! :D

We've got about 17 inches so far in Mansfield, MA... and it's still coming down pretty hard. We're planning to head out snowshoeing in the woods near the house, but the shoveling is calling first, unfortunately!

- Ivy

The media is stating 27 inches in Topsfield, MA and 34 inches in Middleton, MA. My measurements here in neighboring Boxford, MA have been inconclusive due to drifting, but it appears about 28-30 thus far. Should be a challenge getting into work in Boston tomorrow. Worried that my bus line won't run and that the MBTA lots will be unplowed.

18" in Derry, NH with some pretty rad 3 foot drifts. Wheres the damn mailbox?!

Looks like 12-16 inches in Long Island..Used the snowshoes to walk 1/2 mile and back to a friends house because I left the oranges in her truck, my wife made me go. The plows keep pushing the snow back in my driveway and I keep cleaning it..Kids get $30 a house to clear the driveway and steps, not sidewalks. Anybody else out there have sidewalks?..If we don't clear them I was told you can get fined.

The snowplow crushified my mailbox yesterday. Short of using an auger, it aint gonna be right till April. (Got the post standing inside a stack of cinderblocks real classylike) Here in Bow we got about 14-16". Nice and light though. Even with my Tubbs 30" Ive been sinking a bit in my yard.

Hard to say. Officially we got 11.5 inches (Albany Airport). Looks like a little more to me. That is, it did until the winds picked up and blew the stuff all over creation. Still gusting here. Nothing as bad as MA (or as good, depending upon your point of view).

wmur said this about Nh because I wondered how much snow the mountains got.
Snowfall totals from around the state have been very impressive, with most of southern New Hampshire receiving at least a foot of snow, and up to 2 feet in some locations. Central New Hampshire totals are averaging 6 to 12 inches, and the White Mountains have reported 3 to 5 inches on the ground.
3 to 5 inches..not huge..should make my trailbreaking this week not SO bad..

Downeast Maine

Acadia is getting swacked with heavy snow and high winds. Hard to tell how much has come down because of the drifting but after Wednesday's snow, this place is set up really well for excellent x-country in the near fuuture.

Took the dogs out for a run in the Georgetown-Rowley State Forest; I was the first and only person there. We snowshoed for a few miles with the dogs mostly following in my tracks. Most of the snow I was breaking through was 1/2 way up my thigh. It was so deep that the smaller dog Rosie, about 35 pounds, could just barely get her head out of the snow when she was running through the fresh powder. I am going to play with my skis before work tomorrow. :D