I post trip reports because:

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why do you post trip reports

• Total voters
Because I love to write and enjoy being read. I'm generally going to write a trip report anyway, because I relive my hike through my words and the trip report provides a record alongside the myriad of photos I usually take. It's only a minor step after that to "publish" the trip report.

I've actually been fairly lackadaisical this past summer with writing trip reports; I need to get back into it.

No offense taken Chip. Given that some days most of the threads are trip reports, and they generate posts, then there must be lots of others like you who enjoy reading them. Personally, I'm just not that interested in reading about a hike I may have done 50 times myself unless as Pete says, there's something unusual about it. And I've already made my views clear on what I consider self-promotional/bragatory trip reports. But again - I've read a few and there's a pattern - the same people will say "Oh my god, I can't believe you did that", and "You're awesome and I want to have your baby", and "I want to be just like you when I grow up".

But, I'm probably in the minority on this one. That's OK - trip report away people and enjoy. Am just an old fhart disappearing into the Sierras -

I chose "I'm proud of my accomplishments and I want to share that feeling with others" Although 2 out of the 3 reports I posted were not much of a accomplishment, but I felt like they're worthy experiences to me (a positive spin on my failures :p) and would like to share them.

I also chose "I like getting encouragement, especially green squares", I don't post my reports to collect green squares, but I'll always welcome them. I keep a log of all my hikes on my website, on it I do try to post pictures that may be helpful for others or me in the future, for example I like to take pictures of every junction, especially confusing ones or herd path entrances, etc. The biggest encouragement for me is when people tell me they enjoy my website :).

The truth is, I think it's a good way to fool myself and others into thinking that a really boring and dull hike was actually fun and exciting. I'll look back at some trip report in a year or so and think, "yeah, I really did like that bushwhack -- I'm going to go back!!" and then once I do go back and I'm swimming around in flesh eating sea of spruce I'll have one of those "DOH!" moments where I realize that I've been had -- by myself!!

It's really the ultimate expression of self-hatred and loathing, I think. I'll think to myself, "Gee, I'm unemployed and fat -- I'm going to do this hideous and irrelevant hike now and then write a trip report convincing myself that it was fun" with the full intention that a year from now when the actual memory fades and only nostalgia remains I'll reread that trip report and get really excited about going back. Of course it's a time-bomb that I planted because even if my life has improved or I'm happier I'll immediately return to those gross feelings of shame and self deprecation.

Of course said trip report will also be a magnet for green squares, people admiring my mental toughness and sheer tenacity. And it'll make me only feel worse once I realize how I lied and deceived everybody. Not only am I a loser but a shameless and needy liar as well.

Gee, I don't see this as a selection in the poll -- can somebody go back and edit it in, please?

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
What inspired me first to write any trip report, before I ever heard of VFTT, was having read Dave Metsky's trip reports. Most of what I post here is from my own personal (and not published, limited bandwidth) site of trip reports and photos, which is a log of doing something I really enjoy. I share this with family and friends, some of whom are disabled and can only enjoy the outdoors vicariously.

I post to "give back" to VFTT, as I have gotten so much. The WMG is a great resource, but I really like seeing the pictures of previous hikes, and being able to recognize them when I'm on the actual trails. Note that as I gain experience (I've been doing this since last May) I find it is not as necessary to be fully-armed with photos, trip reports, memorizing the trail description, etc. Lately I have enjoyed more of a mystery to the hikes, so I can discover something new.

With 95% of all internet content being junk, I try hard to add to the 5%, at least from a quality point of view.

Now I have to write a Trip Report for yesterday... (Isolation)

Tim

(Note: this reply was also posted in Frodo's anti-TR thread)

I used to post trip reports for many of my hikes because I wanted the respect and admiration of my peers. I used to think that if I set some kind of record I would become a hiking celebrity. Now I think I'm at a place where I'm satisfied with who I am and what I've done. The only person that I have to impress or hold accountable is myself.

On the other hand, I would say I still occasionally post trip reports if I come across something I think others would find particularly interesting or unusual. I will admit it is fun to share the exhilharation of completing a list - to let other finishers know that there's a new member in their club. Other than that, I hike because I enjoy being outside. We all do. I'll let the people that are more eloquent or poetic tell the stories. Most of my hikes are beautiful, uneventful, and only meaningful to me, and that's just the way I like them.

I think I have determined to write TRs only when they serve some use -- either by relaying information that is not easily found elsewhere, or by providing some entertainment value. I only read TRs with the same criteria.

Relaying new information is pretty rare in the summertime. The trail conditions don't change much, and nearly every hike and bushwhack has been described and discussed at some point. Unless there is really something new and different, I usually won't bother.

Maybe I'm a snob, but my time is fairly limited, so I usually don't peruse the TR section of VFTT for literary or entertainment value. There have been some really nice TRs, of course, but mostly I'm just looking for info, maybe some personal perspective. If I can offer something entertaining or some interesting reflections on a hike, then I may share it. Generally, though, most hikes are better experienced than read about.

Kevin Rooney said:
I may get blasted for saying this but ... some of the trip reports are clearly self-serving, like the kind that say I did 427 peaks on 12 continents in 2 days, 22 minutes, in the dark, with sneakers, a broken flashlight, 2 liters of water and an old baloney sandwich. While on one level I appreciate the athleticism, I also wonder whether some would do them if VFTT didn't exist.

I agree. This reminded me of Brian Regan's "I Walked on the Moon" comedy sketch. :D

After living in Boulder, Colorado, for some time, physical accomplishments don't impress me much anymore.

Kevin Rooney said:
I may get blasted for saying this but ... some of the trip reports are clearly self-serving, like the kind that say I did 427 peaks on 12 continents in 2 days, 22 minutes, in the dark, with sneakers, a broken flashlight, 2 liters of water and an old baloney sandwich. While on one level I appreciate the athleticism, I also wonder whether some would do them if VFTT didn't exist.

I find some members that don't write trip reports do just as much of this. There have been several occasions when I've noticed people not writing trip reports but managing to slip a mention of where they have been into other threads. Feels like some sort of discreet chest pounding to me.

(This also posted in the other "why post" thread)

Why I post or more accurately used to post TRs?

1. I used to post trip reports all the time, mostly because it helped me keep track of what I have hiked, sort of like a journal.

2. I also like telling creative and fun stories . . . which I used to be able to do back when I was a newbie and weird and funny things used to happen to me more often because I was still doing silly "new hiker learning" stuff.

3. I also used to take a gajillion pictures and wanted to share those pictures with my new found hiking friends . . . which brings me to . . .

4. I used to hike alone ALL the time because I didn't have any friends who hiked. Then I found VFTT, began posting a zillion Trip Reports and it was a great way for people to get to know me and to hike with me. This resulted in new found hiking partners, who quickly turned into friends and now I have friends to hike with . . . and that brings me to

Why I don't post Trip Reports as much anymore.

1. I just seriously don't have the time anymore, crazy busy hectic job instead of grad school, new (not that new anymore) man in my life instead of being single as I was when I was first on VFTT posting all those trip reports.

2. I just don't care to keep track of what I hike anymore. I hike so much now and am not new at it so it isn't so much an accomplishment to talk about as just another weekend spent doing what I love, being in the woods.

3. I don't have very many interesting or creative stories anymore and gushing about the profound spiritual part of hiking gets a bit overdone after a while . . .

4. I don't take as many pictures, so just listening to me ramble without the reward of pretty pictures means no one will likely enjoy reading my reports.

So, now I only write reports if I have done something worth telling about, had an unbelievable experience, want to give trail conditions data during winter or share pictures, or get talked into it by hiking partners or am plain procrastinating doing experiments.

All of the above applies to my posting frequency in general, not just trip reports.

Interesting thread, both of them . . . :)

sli74

Rik said:
I find some members that don't write trip reports do just as much of this. There have been several occasions when I've noticed people not writing trip reports but managing to slip a mention of where they have been into other threads. Feels like some sort of discreet chest pounding to me.
Ok, I'll momentarily delay my daily 50-mile run to comment:

I don't see what the fuss is about complaining about "discreet chest pounding" and "self-serving" TRs. We're all posting something on here for someone to read in a public forum. If all TRers weren't self-serving to an extent then they would keep a personal journal or log to themselves and discreetly post conditions on the trail conditions section.

And about athleticism:
Let's not forget that somebody's 5 mile hike might be another's 1 mile... or another's 20 mile, or another's 50 mile.

If someone posts about them finally accomplishing a tough nemesis hike just under book time we should post "way to go! you persevered"!
But if someone posts about how they did a hike 4X the length in the same time we should tell them to get off their high horse?

And if you think someone is arrogant... well, then don't hang out with them and don't read their TRs.

cbcbd said:
Ok, I'll momentarily delay my daily 50-mile run to comment:

I don't see what the fuss is about complaining about "discreet chest pounding" and "self-serving" TRs. We're all posting something on here for someone to read in a public forum. If all TRers weren't self-serving to an extent then they would keep a personal journal or log to themselves and discreetly post conditions on the trail conditions section.

And about athleticism:
Let's not forget that somebody's 5 mile hike might be another's 1 mile... or another's 20 mile, or another's 50 mile.

If someone posts about them finally accomplishing a tough nemesis hike just under book time we should post "way to go! you persevered"!
But if someone posts about how they did a hike 4X the length in the same time we should tell them to get off their high horse?

And if you think someone is arrogant... well, then don't hang out with them and don't read their TRs.

Since you quoted my post I'll delay my 60 mile run to respond. :rolleyes:

My post was just an observation on this topic. Hope I didn't sound like I was making a "fuss" about anything. I wasn't complaining just something I've noticed that relates to the question. Also, didn't call anyone arrogant or tell anyone to "get off their high horse". I have no interest in telling others what they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT do.

marchowes said:
I have similar sentiments to several other opinions brought up in this thread (especially SLI74's comments).

:D :D :D . . . I like when people have similar sentiments to me :D :D :D

marchowes said:
Maybe if people saw what kinds of hikes I was doing and what lists I was working on I could get people to join in with me.

I think that was the right thing to do, because about 2 months later I went on my first VFTT hike through Mahoosuc Notch with Albee, and I'm pretty sure the reason he offered me to come along was he knew I could handle it because of what I had written about in my trip reports.

Hahaha . . . I am lucky that people read my trip reports and come hiking with me ANYWAY :D

sli74

Rik said:
Since you quoted my post I'll delay my 60 mile run to respond. :rolleyes:

My post was just an observation on this topic. Hope I didn't sound like I was making a "fuss" about anything. I wasn't complaining just something I've noticed that relates to the question. Also, didn't call anyone arrogant or tell anyone to "get off their high horse". I have no interest in telling others what they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT do.
Ok, point taken.
Rik, I have to admit that I just quickly quoted your post because it quoted Kevin Rooney's and both touched a similar topic which I wanted to respond to - my response wasn't to just you and I should've left your quote out.

ps-we should go running together sometime

Last edited:
All those reasons but mainly because it helps me learn writing in english. I don't really care if people reads or not, post or not, or gives rep points.

Can't be an ego thing because I usually say that I was miserable and very tired. Or maybe I want people to think I am weak because I feel bad about the big hikes that I do, and want to diminish my accomplishment...Ok, where's the shrink ? HELP !! :D

I write trip reports because I'm the type that needs to see things documented. I also enjoy writing, and have often gone back to old trip reports to refresh my memory about favorite trips. I frequently go back and look at the photos and videos I have taken. Documenting this online is easier to find than paper written notes.

I post TRs to share my experiences with anyone who cares. I don't expect very many to care, but if only a few care that's great. There are different styles and personalities here. We have extreme trekkers and tree-huggers. I know my experiences with moose and plants will get yawns from most, but they don't have to click onto my TR. I yawn at the idea of list completions, speed records, etc., and it's a real turn-off when someone complains that a trail isn't super-awesome-steep-difficult-extreme-dangerous-blah,blah. But I don't have to click there either. I consider every inch of forest beautiful.

I think we should all be happy with our differences, and not be unhappy that others hike and post for different reasons.

Happy Trails :)

I like to post trip reports because I just like to share my thoughts and I like reading other people's reports, so i kind of feel like giving back to anyone who is entertained by my incoherent rambling thoughts. I can never promise that they will be any good, but i just try to write what I am feeling without looking too much like an egomaniac. I generally like to share about accomplishments like climbing "X" number of vertical or so many miles, etc.... I haven't posted too much this year, b/c I have not climbed many new mountains, I have spent more time playing co-ed softball and drinking beer. Am I allowed to say that we just won the championship? (It surely wasn't b/c of my play) I was thinking of taking the trophy to the top of Mt Washington and taking a pic, kinda like when the Stanley Cup travels around the world after the finals.

Damn I guess this turned out to be egocentric and self serving... Where's the delete button?

One benefit of TR's

There's many reasons I think TR's are good and helpful ... especially in winter. Here's one no one's mentioned yet. VFTT is a dating service and Sargeant Peppers lonely hearts club band!

One Saturday last winter we had a heavy snow the night before and I missed the start of group hike up to Whiteface and Passaconaway. I saw Ed and Duffy at the TH recognizing them right away form someones pictures and knew from his TR's that he and I would be compatible so I asked him if he'd mind hiking Passaconaway with me. By virtue of his TR's I knew we'd do well together on a winter hike to a 4K. And so we did the hike and enjoyed having his and Buffy's companionship on the hike. Salvaging a long trip up north. Without this virtual introduction, I probably wouldn't have introduced myself. I also met Sapblatt. When I go to NH by myself, but I almost always run into people from VFTT.

Besides not all of us have friends and neighbors who can relate to each of our dozens of hikes with same level of interest. Unless something unique happens, to my wife and kids all these mountains and trails look like all the others. Yet I can post 50 pictures of some hike and some obscure mountain ridge and have my hero NHMTHIKER point out I missed identifying the Captain. That's Cool!!!

I'm sure we all have certain favorite people's TR's we always read because we share certain attitudes or hiking styles. Then there's the superhuman exploits of some members that entertain, amuse, and inspire although we'd never stand a chance of keeping up with them on a hike. And adds something special to any hike when you meet them on the trail and give them a high five. Then there's certain TR that is entertaining and informative. Everyone gravitates to the type of TR they find interesting. There's something for everyone. :D