In Praise of Going Solo

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
Comes now Boreas, making the mountaintops white once again and undoubtedly also prompting the usual seasonal admonition to the would-be soloist: "Nevermore. Well, at least not until spring."

As counterpoint I offer the following from Horace Kephart (1862-1931). Kephart deserves more recognition from us outdoor enthusiasts than he usually gets, IMO. Here's an excerpt from his argument for going solo, published in his Camping and Woodcraft, Vol. II, "How to Walk" (The Macmillan Company, 1972). (From reading his works, I like to think that in the intervening years he would have learned not to exclude half the population by his choice of gender nouns and pronouns. I have left them intact here only to avoid trampling on the rhythm of his words.)

“To the multitude, whether city or country bred, the bare idea of faring alone in the woods for days or weeks a a time is eerie and fantastic; it makes their flesh creep. He who does so is certainly an eccentric, probably a misanthrope, possibly a fugitive from justice, or, likely enough, some moonstruck fellow whom the authorities would do well to follow up and watch.

“But many a seasoned woodsman can avow that some of the most satisfying, if not the happiest, periods of his life have been spent far out of sight and suggestion of his fellow men.

. . .

“From a selfish standpoint, the solitary camper revels in absolute freedom. Any time, anywhere, he can do as he pleases. There is no anxiety as to whether his mates are having a good time, no obligation of deference to their wishes. Selfish? Yes; but,
per contra, when one is alone he is boring nobody, elbowing nobody, treading on nobody’s toes. He is neither chiding nor giving unasked advice. Undeniably he is minding his own business -- a virtue to cover multitudes of sin.

“A companion, however light-footed he may be, adds fourfold to the risk of disturbing the shy natives of the wild. By your self you can sit motionless and mutely watchful, but where two are side by side it is neither polite nor endurable to pass an hour without saying a word. Lonesome? Nay indeed. Whoever has an eye for Nature is never less alone than when he is by himself. Should a strain of poetic temperament be wedded to one’s habit of observing, then it is more than ever urgent that he should be undisturbed; for in another’s presence:

‘Imagination flutters feeble wings.’

“Solitude has its finer side. The saints of old, when seeking to cleanse themselves from taint of worldliness and get closer to the source of prophecy, went singly into the desert and bided there alone. So now our lone adventurer, unsaintly as he may have been among men, experiences an exaltation, finds healing and encouragement in wilderness life.”

Last edited:
I would highly recommend Camping and Woodcraft for anyone who spends any amount of time in the wilderness, alone or not.

My version is the 5th printing, 1999 Tennessee Press, it contains volumes I and II.

This post raises an interesting question. Can going solo ever be safer than going with others? In mountaineering, at least on the cutting edge, it can definitely be safer. When Tomaz Humar soloed the south face of Dhaulagri, he moved so quickly and efficiently that he exposed himself to fewer dangers. On nightmarish terrain like that, the only viable option for a party would be a running belay - setting up a traditional belay and climbing one at a time just takes too long - and often, the running belay does nothing more than assure that both climbers fall instead of just one. Fot the more modest things that we do - winter mountaineering in the northeast, for example - does this ever hold true? My initial reaction is that it depends on your partner: if you have a good partner you are safer, if you have an incompetent schmuck, you are probably better off alone. What do you think?

It's always a balance.

One side is "In the mountains, speed is safety." Almost always, a soloist can move faster than a party, on any terrain and in any conditions, including just walking down the road.

The other side is the safety value of the additional person or persons.

There are many factors to weigh on each side.

Some on the "Speed is Safety" side are the skill level of the traveler and the degree and constancy of the objective danger. Obviously Tomaz Humar is going to move faster than any of us. And on that kind of terrain, most of us wouldn't move at all unless Tomaz was there to lead. Objective danger varies with conditions. The North Face of Gothics, or Pinnacle Gully, right after a big snow, are just as dangerous as Dhaulagiri. But the danger is usually temporary around here, whereas in the big ranges, it's constant. So the smart soloist can wait until conditions are less dangerous (note I didn't say "safe").

On the "additional persons" side you have the skill of the persons, the number of the persons (if you get hurt in a party of two, you still have to wait alone for rescue), and how much equipment you do or don't have to carry because of those persons. You have to weigh how much the people can help you survive, vs. how much they slow you down.

In the bigger picture, you also have to think about who loves you and/or depends on you, and the risks to potential rescuers / body recoverers, to determine your risk tolerance.

I would say it's case by case, and the responsibility of each soloist to decide
each time. Personally, I don't solo off trail in Winter, because I know that to survive an injury (which is fairly impotant to me, based on my personal risk tolerance), I would need to carry at least a bag and a bivy sack, extra food, maybe a stove...all of a sudden the pack gets heavy, and it starts to defeat the purpose of soloing. But that's just my decision.

TCD

Hey Wild,
How Does An Incompetent Schmuk Gain Experience? By Traveling W/ Others That Have More Experience. No?

Deematic
Great question...here's a guess that schmukness may have less to do with experience and more to do with personalities.
I think in my readings I have seen references to some incompetent schmuks at great altitudes...those that leave their hiking partners or expedition members to fend for themselves when in need come to mind.
Of course on the great mountains they might (technically speaking) be competent schmucks.....
I think the books have many such a story.

Solo Outings

and I quote: "The man who walks with the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been". Alan Ashley-Pitt

kathiecamper said:
and I quote: "The man who walks with the crowd will usually get no further than the crowd. The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been". Alan Ashley-Pitt

Well said.

sardog1, beautiful quote. I've never read the book, but I will now.

As far as the schmuckness is concerned, the old adage adequately declares,"When the blind lead the blind, they both fall in the ditch." :p

Hiking solo has brought me immeasurable rewards...... that being said I also like to hike with others as well.

As far as being an incompetent schmuck goes..... well, you learn as you go and as time goes on you become more competent, that is if you're willing to try new things and learn from your mistakes. I think all of us have great characters inside of us as well as schmucks. The problem is knowing which character is speaking through us at any given time. :D

great quote, kathiecamper!
I'm going to borrow it next time someone says "you aren't going alone are you?" :eek:

:p

"My best friend should be my tent companion"
Thoreau

She is. Much as I understand the desire and enjoyment of solitude,the experience of being in the woods is one that is most enjoyable with my "tent companion".
Often,we will hike for hours on a trail,sharing the experience,with very little needing to be said.

Incompetent Schmucks

I guess I was talking about people who are irresponsible, reckless, and inexperienced. You can be totally new to hiking or climbing and still be a safe companion, provided you keep your head about you and make sensible decisions.

I personally enjoy hiking alone and with a few other people. The experiences are totally different for me, and thus both equally enjoyable. Like Pete, I don't think I would enjoy hiking with a large group.

Solo thoughts.....

I solo more than I should, but less than I want. There are probably as many tangible reasons for solo hiking as there are against solo hiking. But it's the intangibles that seem to intrigue me and keep me coming back for more. Like spooking a foraging bear on the shores of Round Pond after a day on Dix or standing on the summit of Whiteface in the middle of winter with no one else around.

When I solo in the winter, I try to stay on more popular routes where there is a greater chance of "hiker traffic" for safety reasons. Since my retirement from 33 years of teaching, I truly enjoy the solitude of weekday hikes and not have to wonder about the weather for the weekend. But I also enjoy the excitement of a sudden t-storm or the insecurity of being overtaken by thick fog.

It also seems that when I hike alone, the mountains ask more of me and I gain more from them. I am totally immersed in every aspect of the experience from listening to the late afternoon songs of the Wood Thrush to hearing snow land on my shoulder.

But I do have a few very close, trusted and valued hiking partners. It has taken years to find these kindred spirits. Their hiking pace is just right and they appreciate and have the same sense of wonder for everything from target lichen to Alpine azaleas to cloud formations...just like me! Those folks I would gladly share a solo hike with, anytime.