Singepole Ridge 9.1.07--SherpaKroto is Back!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Townie

Reaction score
We all get a little banged up from time to time, and sometimes it even makes us skip a hike or two. But everyone here knows about SherpaK's accident, how he was much more than a little banged up, the setbacks he's had, and how long it's been since he did a hike.

Well, everybody cheer, because SherpaKroto is back on the trail!!! :) :) :)

On September 1st, he and I and some of his neighbors from the camp climbed Singepole Ridge, just outside of South Paris, ME. It's not the highest or longest hike in his book, but I'll bet it's one of his most fulfilling. Singepole Ridge is somewhere around 1700 feet high, and the hike is about a 3 mile round trip. Sherp put on his pack, grabbed his poles and set out for the open ledges of the ridge summit. Oh yeah, and he did wear his compression stockings, too. :D It was a beautiful clear day and he was feeling good. :cool:

Along the way we made sure to stop fairly frequently (amazing how many excuses a few friends can come up with :D ), and everyone was watching out for any sign that things might not be going well. None of those signs ever appeared, and he worked his way up the trail and the ledges, taking his time but intent on the goal. You should have seen his face when he got to the top! Happy doesn't even begin to describe it.

We were sitting there admiring the view and the accomplishment when a couple families arrived. The parents were trying to tell the kids what mountains they were seeing, without much success, and Sherp in his inimitable, friendly way began to recite them.

Now if anyone here should think a hike like this isn't worth taking unless you, like Sherp, are returning from the dead, let me set you straight. The views are unbelievable! Starting from the southeast you see Pleasant, Chocorua, Passaconaway & Whiteface, the Tripyramids, Carrigain, and a bunch of summits neither he nor I were sure about. Then there was Kearsarge North, Washington with Isolation in front and to the side, Jefferson, Adams, Madison. Then there was the whole Carter range: Carter Dome, Hight, South Carter, Middle Carter, North Carter and Moriah. In front of them were the Baldfaces and the whole Evans Notch set of mountains, ending with Shelburne-Moriah. And I'm probably forgetting a few. He beamed as he went through the list, and the listeners were amazed at how much this fellow knew about the Whites. His pleasure grew with the name of each mountain, all of which he has climbed.

A bit later Sherp was looking around at the summit ledges and the views, and he said to me, "I can do this. I can do this." At that point I just about lost it.

We stopped briefly on the way down to admire a quarry full of water, but this wasn't a swimming day. When we got back to the trailhead Sherp's calves were a bit sore, but it was muscle soreness and not the kind of discomfort that has kept him down for so many months. He was (and we were) relieved and happy.

It was so fantastic to see him back on the trail, in the environment he loves so much. I wish everyone on VFTT could have been there to see it. But since you all couldn't be, here are a few photos of the man and the event.

So DougPaul, Cath, Bubba and anyone else out there who's on the physically unable to perform list, take heart! You can do this! You can do this!

Awesome that he is back... and I think the PUP list needs updating! ;)

Welcome back!

Great! Those first hikes are a little like getting out of jail...

Mad Townie said:
So DougPaul, Cath, Bubba and anyone else out there who's on the physically unable to perform list, take heart! You can do this! You can do this!
Hey I made it out to the mailbox and back... :)

Actually, I was able walk 2 mi along a paved rails-to-trails path. Slowly, but I just had another operation (to remove some bolts and screws) 2 weeks ago. Still pretty lousy on gentle downhills...

Anyhoo, keep at it Sherp!

Doug

Last edited:
An amazing testament to what the human mind and willpower can do _ especially in the company of great friends! Nice pix and TR, MadTownie...

Same way I felt when he summited on his other "first hike back" a year ago! (and his first cross country ski back - March) How many of these first hike, ski, paddlea back is he gonna get, before he is officially back...? :p LOL :D :D :D

Oooooh, how much for de vehcile???

Last edited:
Hot d@mn! You rock SK. I never doubted you.

GREAT TR, MT.

How many of these does he get? As many as it takes. :cool:

Looking forward to the first 3,000 footer TR, the first 4,000er TR, the first downhill ski TR (that will be a doozy)...

Maybe we'll even get you out there in the BC...

:D

I've never climbed Singepole Ridge and wondered what trail you hiked. Whatever it's called, I suggest renaming it the Comeback Trail. Great that you're back at it, Paul!!
And thanks for the inspiring TR, MT. Made my day.

These hills are a healing place for us all!

You certainly CAN do this!

:)

I never doubted that this day would come. Congrats SherpaK. Remind me to raise a toast in your honor next time we are together.

I knew he would be hiking again in my heart.

SK - of course you can do it. Whenever you think you can't -remember columbia crest!

Last edited:
Dude, let's do Rainier again.. :) :p Things are looking up again SherpaK, glad to read this on a tired monday morning..

Jay