Irene -- Please use this thread for NH/VT/ME road closures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mt Nancy trailhead is also reachable using Rte 302 from the West :>

The person I reached at the Notchland Inn this morning was very concerned about reports that the road is closed - he stressed it is restricted to prevent lot's of traffic driving all the way to the bridge to have to turn around, not closed.

The person I reached at the Notchland Inn this morning was very concerned about reports that the road is closed - he stressed it is restricted to prevent lot's of traffic driving all the way to the bridge to have to turn around, not closed.

Agreed -- and if you check out the web site for the Notchland Inn, the same thing is being said:

"We are open for business and connected!!! ...

The Inn is only accessible by traveling Route 302 from the west however Route 302 is not yet opened from the East. You can also access the Inn by traveling a Northern Loop (Route 16 to Gorham, then Route 2 to Route 115 to Route 302 in Twin Mountain)."

the 511NH site has now been updated the Rte 302 information to indicate you can drive to the bridge from the Twin Mountain area:

Comment: Local businesses on US 302 from I-93 area heading east through the Crawford Notch until Sawyer River Road in Hearts Location are open. Note: the Sawyer River Bridge is closed. There is no through traffic over the Sawyer River Bridge to Silver Spring Road in Bartlett..

I see that Jeremy has now updated his site to show this.

I see NHDOT still can't spell Hart's. That's okay, for a while shortly after Irene it was the Slayer River. :)

Last edited:
I see NHDOT still can't spell Hart's. That's okay, for a while shortly after Irene it was the Slayer River.

Yeah - lot's of little mistakes have been made that have been misleading, but given the fact that things are changing quickly, and some of the people out in the field are not familar with the area that they have been tasked with working at, overall the Forest Service, AMC, DOT, and others have done a great job of trying to keep the public informed.

It's really amazing how much they have fixed so quickly!

...overall the Forest Service, AMC, DOT, and others have done a great job of trying to keep the public informed.

It's really amazing how much they have fixed so quickly!

I could not agree with you more and many, many NH businesses are extremely thankful for this effort.

Let me know when you plan to go out there, Jacob, maybe we can join forces!
:D

I think I will take you up on that. There is at least 1 blowdown for sure that I could use a hand with. :eek:

And I know Edmands could use a bit of work too ;)

Last edited:
Using the topo map that comes with Terrain Navigator Pro it appears that the end of Sawyer River Road is about 780 feet from the center of the bridge, so looks like it just makes it.

I did a rough measurement on AMC online maps and Sawyer River Rd. is about 790' from the river. Not sure why that map of there's does not show the road, it should. That closure circle of there's seems go out, centered on the river. If that's the case. Sawyer river Rd. should be just out side it.

Using the topo map that comes with Terrain Navigator Pro it appears that the end of Sawyer River Road is about 780 feet from the center of the bridge, so looks like it just makes it.

Yeah -- that was my thinking, too, from looking at the map that accompanies the order.

Sorry to be dumb, but it accessible from the east (N Conway side) or the west (Crawford Notch) side?

Came across this collection on facebook of ground and aerial photos (helicopter) on some of the damage to Vermont.

Unreal.

Last edited:
Sorry to be dumb, but it accessible from the east (N Conway side) or the west (Crawford Notch) side?

The bridge worksite is to the east of Sawyer River Road. To get to SRR, you need to approach from the west. (Unless you're a local or otherwise have express permission to use the temporary pedestrian bridge. Many locals who work on one side and live on the other have staged cars on both sides.)

So it sounds like the 750' number may have been specifically crafted to allow public Sawyer River Road access? If true, woot, I say, woot.

From the language in the work order, it looks as if you cannot access Sawyer River Road from the east (North Conway, et al.) unless you are one of a group of exemptees -- for instance, persons who live in the area or have trade/business in the area, etc. (see the original order for the list).

My take on this is that persons wishing to access the road for hiking would not be exempt from this work order, and would therefore need to approach from the west (Crawford Notch, Twin Mountain, etc.)

(MichaelJ beat me to this.)

RR closures?

I don't see a note for railroad closures, but from I-93NB just S of exit 29 it looked like the adjacent rails and ties were hanging in air. This line connects to Clarks and Hobo RR but there is no regular service so I doubt it has much priority for repairs. Even track cars and snowmobiles should stay off now.

I don't see a note for railroad closures, but from I-93NB just S of exit 29 it looked like the adjacent rails and ties were hanging in air. This line connects to Clarks and Hobo RR but there is no regular service so I doubt it has much priority for repairs. Even track cars and snowmobiles should stay off now.

They are, indeed. Along Rt. 3 in Thornton there are numerous small washouts on the line. I noticed one large one through the woods adjacent to the Pemi River Campground just north of the Exit 29 onramp.