Irene -- Please use this thread for NH/VT/ME road closures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem from 93 to 3 to 115 to 2 to 16 - only minor traffic hassles from route 302 detour.

Rest of post copied from Success Pond Rd thread:

Success Pond Rd is washed out right at the Speck Pond Trail trailhead: Sucker Brook now flows through a vertical-sided gully five feet deep and fifteen feet wide, with the culvert pipe visible off to the side of the road and some of the larger abutment boulders still in place.

attachment.php

I drove the road from Berlin to that point in a compact car without any real difficulty. I saw a pickup truck arrive from the other direction, don't know how much clearance is actually necessary on that end.

Do exercise a bit more than the usual care, there are a couple of holes (culverts now partially overt) that'd certainly cost you a wheel.

The Latest Proclamations

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/index.php

It's getting a little weird keeping track of these separate announcements, but as of Sep 5th, we have a specific announcement about several areas prohibiting ALL access:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/exhibitA_allclosure_09052011.pdf

Greeley Ponds
Jewell Spur
Kancamagus Highway
Lincoln Woods Suspension Bridge
Otter Rocks
Sabbaday Falls Trail
Upper Falls

We also have the closures to motorized vehicles of these roads, trailheads, and sites:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/exhibitA_motorizeduse_09052011.pdf

(too long to list)

Now, since that second list is the motorized vehicle closure, and the lists were presumably separated for a reason, one could potentially assume that means the sites listed on it (like Sawyer River Road) are open to travel on foot; however, only Wild River Road explicitly states that foot and mountain bike travel are allowed so don't take *my* word for it.

I didn't miss it, I hadn't got to it yet. Problem solved :D

(and note that it was not obvious to me, sitting at my computer, that this workaround was available.)
Back in the "good old days" (ie before the formal LW parking lot), we used to park at the clearing on the W side of the river and walk right in along the RR right-of-way.

Somehow, the footbridge always seemed to be a bit superfluous to me. (Ie the money might have been used to better advantage elsewhere.)

Doug

MichaelJ,

Thanks for those WMNF road closure links!

Just spoke with the WMNF Campton - they appreciate that the clearance to hike and bike at the Wild River road, as stated, creates confusion as to whether those activities are legal on the other roads closed to motorized vehicles.

The fellow I spoke with says they will address that issue. Meanwhile, he said that UNLESS OTHERWISE POSTED, all closed roads may be used for hiking or biking.

He emphasized to park one's car well away from the gate and well off to the side of the road to allow emergency maintenance crews to come and go with their equipment; otherwise your vehicle will be towed.

Sorry, Doug, no reference here ... what I have is FIRST HAND INFORMATION from a coworker of mine who was in Crawford Notch this past weekend.

There is a DOT truck at the top of the notch. They stop and talk to every car, and let through local traffic, turning back attempted through-traffic.

You can drive all the way to the Sawyer River bridge, which means you can drive from the west all the way to Sawyer River Road (which remains closed by the USFS). The Notchland Inn is no longer isolated. The bridge site is pretty cool to see. They're working like mad on the temporary traffic bridge. There is a temporary pedestrian bridge already in place.

Persons who live on one side of the Notch and work on the other have been leaving cars on both sides of the bridge and using the temporary pedestrian bridge.

The State Trooper at the site told my coworker that it's possible they might even have the temporary replacement traffic bridge open by this coming weekend.

Note that the Willey House did not have any power yet, thus no ice cream.

We can confirm the DOT truck at the top of the notch. When we told them we were going to the Ripley Falls parking area the response was "I have no idea where that is, but your good for another 10 miles"

On the return later in the day there were 3 Forest Service Rangers with maps assisting people with alternate ways to get south of the bridge.

Lincoln Woods Bridge

Lincoln Woods Suspension Bridge? That has pretty serious ramifications. Any one know why (specifically) or for how long?

Tim

When we were there on Saturday, we were told one of the supports on the western side of the bridge had a crack. They were limiting the bridge to no more than five people at a time. Perhaps further examination led to it being closed.

We were also told they would not be putting in fill by the major washout close to the start. The near-term solution would be to move the trail up against the bank to the left (west). In the longer term they might build a diversion higher up on the left. Either of these would probably eliminate trucks using the road.

I hope they reconsider and try to keep the original roadbed. It is nice to have a trail that tourists can walk on and even take baby carriages.

Your information on Route 302 from the west is incorrect. Access is available all the way to Sawyer River Road. Multiple people have done it since the weekend.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/roads_status.php

The Forest Service has clarified that:

These are the locations to which ALL ACCESS is prohibited:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/exhibitA_allclosure_09052011.pdf
Greeley Ponds Trail
Jewell SPUR Trail
Kancamagus Highway between the current barricade locations
Lincoln Woods suspension bridge
Otter Rocks
Sabbaday Falls Trail
Upper Falls

These are the locations to which motorized vehicle access is prohibited, but other forms of travel allowed:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/conditions/exhibitA_motorizeduse_09052011.pdf
(too lengthy to copy here)

Your information on Route 302 from the west is incorrect. Access is available all the way to Sawyer River Road. Multiple people have done it since the weekend.

That is correct!!!!!! People are getting confused by the truck at the top of the notch I think and what is on the NH511 site where they mention the Willy House, but suspect they use that as the only well known landmark. Suspect that the Davis Path parking lot is accessable as well since it is not listed as closed on the FS site.

I don't think it's incorrect - the listing on NETC reads: "Closed from east of Willey House to east of Sawyer River Road (Sawyer River bridge out), though some may be able to obtain additional access on the west side."

Two VFTT members visited the area yesterday - "people I spoke to said it was closed"

According to DOT, the road is technically closed beyond Willey House Station.

Some have been able to drive it, but until it's officially open, I personally wouldn't bank on it.

Last edited:
I just called the Notchland Inn which is well past the Willey House who confirmed that Route 302 from the West (Twin Mountain) is OPEN. Their is a DOT truck at the top of the notch turning people away who are trying to go all the way to Bartlett, Glen, or North Conway, but letting anybody who is not through. The DOT guy we talked to this weekend is not from the area and did not know any of the roads/trailheads etc...

You CAN drive down to the bridge area.

Where exactly is the "Jewell Spur Trail" does anyone know? I assume they are not referring to the entire Jewell Trail which afaik is open. Is it the part that connects the trail to the lot at the cog station? The lower lot? Or the part that connects to the Clay loop or Gulfside at the top? Anyone know how far up Jefferson Notch road it is closed (entire length?)?

(Really I'm looking at my options for accessing the Boundary Line trail...)

Where exactly is the "Jewell Spur Trail" does anyone know? (Really I'm looking at my options for accessing the Boundary Line trail...)

The Jewell Spur trail is the trail that connects the Cog parking area up by the building to the Jewell trail. The rest of the trail, starting at the official hiker parking lot is open.

I don't think it's incorrect - the listing on NETC reads: "Closed from east of Willey House to east of Sawyer River Road (Sawyer River bridge out), though some may be able to obtain additional access on the west side."
Two VFTT members visited the area yesterday - "people I spoke to said it was closed"
According to DOT, the road is technically closed beyond Willey House Station.
Some have been able to drive it, but until it's officially open, I personally wouldn't bank on it.

According to a live person on the scene or according to the now-ancient comment on the 511nh website? The link you present is of someone who approached from the east. I will take the words of the several different parties I know who actually approached from the west and drove the road in question. Anything else is hearsay.