Irene -- Please use this thread for NH/VT/ME road closures

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barnes and Dolly Copp have been open since at least last weekend, with the caveat that you must approach on the Pinkham B road from the west due to the washed out bridge over the Peabody River at the Route 16 entrance.

Does your information source say if that bridge has been repaired?

Dolly Copp was, but Barnes was not as of Tuesday morning, today is the first time I saw Barnes open, but guess it opened sometime Tuesday. Both now who that you have to approach from the Rte 2 side in Randolph.

Last edited:
Maybe they reclosed it for the weekend? On Sep 2, USFS announced Barnes, Dolly Copp, Osceola, and Jigger all would be open.

Ah, well, it's only the future that matters anyway. :)

Word around the Pemi valley is the Kancamagus Highway will reopen ahead of schedule on Sunday the 11th! Cheers to NHDOT!

I haven't found anything official in writing to back it up, anyone?

EDIT: Closest I could find is on the White Mountains facebook page.

Last edited:
Or just another example of a list not getting updated????

JUST IN:

THis was just posted on the White Mountains New Hampshire's Facebook Page:

If you are planning a Sunday drive this weekend, you can DRIVE ON THE KANC!!! It reopens, in its entirety, on Sunday. Four days ahead of schedule. How AMAZING is that??

Awesome! I bet these crews put in some hot, long, hard, late-summer hours to get this project completed early.

Hats off to NHDOT
Press Release

:D

Snap to that. I think the cultural descendants of the "Old Man" pioneers can be found in those who drive, and, especially, maintain, New Hampshire's roads. I noticed this one snowy April Fool's Day, with two feet of fresh powder over a sufficient base that the berms were higher than the plows..., and none of the locals seemed to even notice.

But this has been extraordinary! Hats off indeed to NHDOT and all hardy New Hampshirites, see you soon.

On the Woodstock Inn Brewery Facebook page the following rumor was just posted - hope that it is true!

Woodstock Inn Brewery

RTE 302 hopefully open this Friday as the rumor goes!!

En route to Vermont yesterday, I noticed the abutment washout at the Wild Ammonoosuc crossing of Tunnel Brook Rd appeared to be repaired (or close) and the road looked open (no barrier.) This was as I drove by on Rt 112 and did not inspect further. The Forest Rd status page still has it listed as closed.

So you can take this info as you will. But it appears that it will, at least, be opening again soon.

Last edited:
Updates?

Hi there...

Been off the forum for a while and there are a LOT of posts about hurracaine dammage to review...but...

getting ready to hike Jefferson on Saturday...probably Castellated ridge and down Lowes or Isreal Ridge...

Anything I should know...road (we come in Rte 2 from maine) or any of the trails or water crossings?

Thanks for the info.

No issues doing Jefferson from the north. You definitely want to check out the recent thread on Castle Ravine hike as it shares the the initial section of Castle Trail. Definitely and issue if you need to drive Jefferson Notch Road as its closed.

Not coming across JNR...just rte 2 to Bowman...

Any issues with the lower Castle Ridge, Lowes, or Isreal Ridge? Or any watercrossings on the trail?

Not coming across JNR...just rte 2 to Bowman...

Any issues with the lower Castle Ridge, Lowes, or Isreal Ridge? Or any watercrossings on the trail?

See http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41978 .
There's only one crossing on your way up Castle Ridge trail, right off the bat and it was easily rock hopped last weekend. If you descend Israel Ridge you'll encounter the numerous crossings on the lower section of the trail I described. They'll likely involve wet boots since it appears a lot of the nice stepping stones are gone but they're nothing to get worked up over, I dont think I encountered water that even came up to my knees.

Pat