Is Macomb A Safe Hike?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPG848

Reaction score
I am planning to hike Macomb via Slide Brook and return the same route. Is this a "safe" hike. Some reports cause me to ask the question, but I think they are talking about the Lillian Brook route, not the Slide Brook route.
Thanks,

In July, T-Max, Guiness and myself did the Dix Range beginning w/ Macomb via the slide. It was my first (and so far only) slide, and I didn't think it was all that hard. It's pretty easy to find the herd path, which more or less follows the brook to the base of the slide. When we did this route the blowdown had been cleared up to a point.

Once on the slide, just be very careful to not kick rocks back at others behind you-it's what slide-climbers call a "dirty" slide, meaning there's a lot of debris. It's a pretty short slide though, and while steep, not any steeper than a lot of trails. Just two points I'd make:

-You're planning on coming down the slide as well-descending this type of thing is generally harder/more dangerous. Just be careful though and you should be fine. Two guys coming out to the Elk Lake trailhead after us had gone down that way. Even more importantly:

-I wouldn't want to do it if it's wet. Try to go on a day when it hasn't rained for a day or two and there's very little chance of rain.

Just the fact that you're posting about this shows that you're thinking it through carefully. I'm sure you'll be fine. Good luck.

Matt

I have been up Macomb twice, and I've also descended via Lilian Brook, but not since the big blow. Audrey is correct, "safe" is relative (the only time I did real bodily injury to myself (broken wrist) while hiking was on Noonmark, a much easier hike. Anyway, we found the Macomb slide quite doable. Best to spread out and not hike directly in front of or behind hikers because of the scree. Nice lookout rock before the summit.

Descending Macomb

I will be hiking with JPG848 on Macomb this weekend and I am more concerned with descending Macomb than the ascent. I was told not to go down the same way you went up as it was too difficult (loose rocks). Looks like there are only 2 ways down, West Slide or Lillian Brook. Sounds like West Slide is the preferred descent? I have some fear of falling (slipping on loose rocks). Any suggestions on how to get down safely?

You will have experienced the conditions on the way up, so you'll be an expert by the time you descend. :)
Macomb is very doable, both directions, and in my opinion, it's a lot of fun.

I might suggest hiking pole(s).

I wouldn't worry too much about going up or down the slide.... I've (with kids) have been up and down it several times. There is a lot of loose dirt/rocks that are more irritating than dangerous (IMO) but nothing that would make me avoid it as a descent. I would definitely avoid the Lillian Brook route....

Like HikerDad, I've gone both up and down it with my kids, also when it was wet and when it was dry. Never had much of a problem. I actually find the "gravelly" nature does not hinder you footing much. There are a few spots you may want to cross over to the other side of the slide to find a more comfortable way up, but as slides go, its pretty benign.

Actually, the most dangerous time to do this slide is on a "bluebird" sunny day. The view is so spectacular, you'll likely to be so much time watching it, you'll walk right of the side of the mountain :D

(just kidding)

I did the slide in October when there was a thin sheet of ice in many places, which made it a little more tricky. I opted not to go back down that route but went over the Dixes and Hough, and down the main trail from Dix. In those conditions, I was quite cautious, but I didn't think it was dangerous.

I think the only discomfort you may experience on the descent of Macomb Slide is that you may get a little gravel down the back of the boots. Unless you're wearing gaitors. It's a lot safer than going down a bare rock slide.

Lillian Brook

The Lillian Brook route isn't that bad (thanks again, Doc McPeak!) if you don't mind dodging and weaving through the numerous blowdowns. It took less than 2 hours to get from the Hough-Pough col back to the trail. The route takes you up on the ridge to the left of the brook. There's a faint footway once you get into the thick stuff, and we never lost it by more than a couple of steps. It sure was preferable to climbing back over the Beckhorn at the time!

The Macomb's Slide is safe to ascend or descend. I have done it, in dry, wet, icy, snowy conditions. Never had a problem. Stay to the far left coming down the slide. The trees will help in aiding you down. Also the right side of the slide on the way up, is easier than the left, I think. That is usually how we do it. Just be cautious on your footing and you will do just fine.

Having just spent the weekend with Pete Hickey, I happen to know that the ADK Trail Crew just re-located the herd path heading up to the slide this past week. As he explained it, the trail now stays out of the brook and enters the slide a bit further up.

The Macomb slide is one of my favorite hikes. Pete also mentioned that the slide has really changed over the past several years. Much of the scree has been washed away in several areas.

As far as safety is concerned with getting around on the slide, if you are traveling with others, spread out and don't follow one another. The bigger danger is dislodging a larger rock that falls onto a campanion.

Dual poles make the descent a piece of cake.