It's heerrre . . . maybe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snow was all melted at 1600 feet in Waterville Valley (looks like up to about 2500' was snow-free), but there was still a good coating on the ski trails at 3000' when we left town this AM. Not quite hike-and-ski yet, though.

Am I reading the current maps right? Looks like the main energy for the upcoming storms is going to kick to the South & east or the Whites. PA & maybe Southern Catskills & NY to get most of the snow & ice.

May be hard to get from Southern NE to the trails on Saturday AM, a lot of rain. Whites & especialy Greens may not get too much through Saturday.

Wet snow in Colchester CT this afternoon, not sticking to the road & barely sticking to the grass. As system approaches should turn to an early cold (GnR) "November Rain".

If you can believe the weather folks, looks like a non-event for the Whites & Greens. Catskills & PA likely to be the recepients. or course a non-event (stray flurry) in say Gorham or Thornton equals a CT snowstorm

Looks like the Allegheny Nat'l Forest is the place to be;

map_spectrop06_ltst_6nh_enus_600x405.jpg

Either vehicle will work as long as you bring the right attitude and slow down if the roads get slick. Early season drivers use the "lemming" approach where several drivers will tend to drive far faster than the conditions warrant. A lot of the back country dirt roads start getting muddy with the freeze thaw and some precipation. If you want to do those roads, there is a lot to be said for a Subaru. Generally I can delay putting the snow tires on until mid November.

About 0.5 inch of wet slushy snow on the Shawangunk Ridge, NY

I was hiking on the Shawangunk Ridge (about 80 miles northwest of New York City) Thursday afternoon on a photo hike when the wet snow began to fall. It accumulated about 0.5 inch which made the top of the cliffs and trails a bit slippery. The snow is already gone, and the temperatures will hit the mid 60s again next week.

What a difference an hour (actually 80 minutes) makes to this scene of the fading "New York" ferns against a pitch pine trunk. You may click on any of the thumbnails to view a larger version of the photos:
:

I was there to primarily to view the autumn foliage and to photograph my favorite "hanging garden" in the Gunks. The cliff side "garden" is in the Peterskill Rock Climbing area on Route 44/55 west of New Paltz, a bit east of the main entrance to Minnewaska State Park. What appears to be haze at the top of the left photo below is actually the falling snow:
:

I hit the peak autumn foliage just a bit early for the red blueberry leaves in the "garden"; although many of the yellow birch leaves had already fallen from the prior winds (which is par for the course most years here and throughout the Gunks).

Read today's post from the MWO.
40 "unprepared" hikers saved from the summit.
http://www.mountwashington.org/ (dated 10/11)
I bet they were happy about this.
I am....I love snow and ice, but mostly snow:D

From today's MWO Summit Forecast...

And anyone planning on summiting should remember that you are responsible for hiking up AND down the summit as the auto road is closed, and the cog is only operating two trains a day, which are usually sold out.

Talk about an uncaring group expecting so much of their visitors... :rolleyes:

:eek: I would settle for a little longer Indian Summer and get in some "light" pack hikes before winter sets in for good. Warm days .. cool nights ... awesome :D