Kayaking Muscongus Bay - Maine Island Trail Association

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carmel

Reaction score
S. Dartmouth MA, Seekonk MA Avatar: Kauai
I'll keep this as short and simple as possible...

We (Shizz, Dan, and I) left Mass. Friday around noon, got lost on our way to the Broad Cove Marina (near Damariscotta, ME)...got there as the sun was setting...waited for Shizz to pack up his kayak :) and headed out in the dark to Hungry Island...(something I do not recommend and will probably never do again when i'm unfamiliar with the area..sshhhh...this is top secret, don't tell anyone we did that...)...however, it was REALLY COOL kayaking at night with a sky full of stars!!!! we must have seen 20 shooting stars between the three of us! I can't even describe how awesome it was to be out there in the quiet at night...it was unbelievable...

The next day we hung out at the camp in the morning, had a few beers, napped in the sun, ate, hung out and then went for an early afternoon kayak, stopped by the marina for some lobster and some more beer...then kayaked around the area and back to camp to watch the sunset, had a few more beers, and then we had a nice campfire...the weather was perfect...and it was a great day...

I think we were the only people on the island that was about a mile long...but I'm not positive....I was VERY impressed with the area and how beautiful and quiet it is!

The next morning we slept in, packed our stuff up, and headed out for a few hours of kayaking and then back to the marina...it started raining while we were kayaking, which was a really cool feeling too. it was the first time i had kayaked in the rain.

anyways, after that we packed up the truck and headed home...

I strongly recommend to anyone that paddles that you join MITA and do at least an overnight somewhere along the coast, it was really awesome...

next time we plan on doing more paddling and less drinking...:)

the end.

Kayaking Pics

(Be forewarned...I haven't had much time to organize everything, so i just attached every pic that Dan took...its hard to take a clear photo when you are bobbing up and down in the water...AND the best day's pics were never taken because dan forgot the camara the whole day saturday when the weather was the nicest)

oh yeah...for anyone that read a previous post about "holding it"....yeah...i sucessfully "held it"....as far as shizz and dan.....:)

Nice pics Carm!

As far as holding it. Isn't that what the bilge sponge is for? :eek:

Jay

p.s. just joined MITA a few days ago. :)

Nice! Sorry we couldn't make it, looks like a good time. We ended up yakking in the Scarborough Marsh, which made for a pleasant day paddle. Glad you guys had fun!

darren said:
When the cat is away the mice will play...

- darren
No, when the cat's away, the mice go wild :)

Looks like so much fun, but my littel 11.5 ft yak wouldn't be much good in that water. I need to get (borrow...) a sea yak so I can join in the fun.

Shizz could make a bundle sending Foster's pics to their website. Call it the oil can tour :)

So can I... I'd like to get a 16-17' yak, but frankly, my 14' Impex is actually quite decent, but in rougher seas, I have to really pay attention to trimming the boat to get it to track straight via the drop skeg or paddling. Especially in following seas where a longer boat will be much better... Keep looking at the Impex Force 3s (like daxs has) and some of the LV P&H's

Jay

SherpaKroto said:
Shizz could make a bundle sending Foster's pics to their website. Call it the oil can tour :)

All he needs is a good agent ;)

OK..the secret is out-everybody goes zipping up to Stonington,and they pass right by some wonderful kayaking on the way. Muscongus rocks!!

Paddling over at night could be a real trick when the current is running,and the rocks pop up in the middle of the channel. The trick is to plan with the tides and get a free ride both ways,but usually the tides don't co-operate.

Did you get to see the schooner that's scuttled just south of Crow Island in the harbor? There is so much to see in Muscongus,I never get tired of going there-in fact we'll be there this weekend!

Any paddlers going this weekend?-look for the yellow NDK Explorer,and the Blue Boreal Ellesmere-it's me and Mrs KD!

Jay H said:
So can I... I'd like to get a 16-17' yak, but frankly, my 14' Impex is actually quite decent, but in rougher seas, I have to really pay attention to trimming the boat to get it to track straight via the drop skeg or paddling. Especially in following seas where a longer boat will be much better... Keep looking at the Impex Force 3s (like daxs has) and some of the LV P&H's

Jay

P&H P&H P&H!!!!!!!!

Ok, I am biased. ;)

Carm does really well in the Impex Mystic. In following seas, you might be better off in a shorter boat. In general a 17' boat will track better than a 14' boat, but if you get in following seas the extra length can make you swing around pretty quickly and if it does there is no bringing it back. Carm can surf the 14' Impex like a champ while I have mastered the broadside to a wave high brace in my 17' er.

- darren

Re; Following seas, could be the rocker in your 17'? In my experience when off the shore of Long Island, playing in the following seas, my mystic would want to follow the current and had to constantly correct it via paddling or play with the skeg. The mystic is pretty manueverable, a very slight edge will turn the boat fairly easily.

Jay

p.s. off to Vinalhaven monday... :D

Yah, but that is the point, in a shorter boat you can paddle and correct it. If you are in a 17' boat and it swings around on a wave, you are not going to bring it back straight. It is going to swing around and before you know it you are broadside and you have to brace in a hurry to keep from flipping. Keeping a 17' boat straight in following seas is not easy.

If you are worried about going straight, don't play with the skeg, just drop it all the way. Your boat will track like a train.

:)

- d

Shizzmac

A new artistic exploration for me....

I call it "Shizzmac: A Seasonal Study"

- darren

Okay, I'm missing the next trip for sure...

Perfect: "Shizzmac": A Seasonal Study...Darren, those pictures were so funny.