Knife recommendations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bucking the trend, I own a couple of Swiss Army Knives, but they stay home a lot. They're cute, but they just don't cut it. I like to carry a fairly substantial fixed-blade knife, which is my 40 year old Buck Pathfinder, honed to a fine edge by Lucy Hardware in Intervale. My favorite feature of the Swiss Army Knife is the corkscrew. :D

Pete_Hickey said:
My son claims that knives (and nalgene bottles) are 'shared things' You loose it, and find another. They are really owned by the mountain, who just loans them to you.
Whoever found my ancient Nalgene on Passaconaway, enjoy it, but I'd appreciate it if the mountain would loan me a new one soon, so I don't have to buy it.

Steve

Last edited:
jfb said:
I just carry a small Swiss Army Knife , mostly for the scissors and a Lexan knife for cooking/eating.

Me too. Actually, I've switched to the keychain SA knife to save weight on backpacks but still use the SA Climber on dayhikes. I use a knife so rarely that I find it hard to justify carrying anything else, bigger, different or supplemental.

I've noticed that "carrying" a knife is not always the same. I was on a hike where the participants collectively had over 100,000 miles under their boots. Someone needed a knife to cut a fraying seam so it wouldn't completely unwind. When asking if anyone had a knife, there were multiple responses "in my pack" Then I pulled out my keychain knife on the lanyard inside my shirt. It did the job.

I also have one on my keychain for work. About once a week I use it, usually cutting open boxes or packages. It's amazing how things can get delayed if you have to go find a knife, but most people just turn to me when one is needed. They usually just hand me the item to be cut vs. asking to borrow it.

Don't get me wrong, I too have a collection of other knives that accumulated when I thought they would be useful and nice to have. Most of them are sitill good and not used.

JHS

Some of you guys really use the cork screw?

Nice to see all the responses. My justification for carrying something a little more "robust" then the standard Swiss Army Knife is the simple fact of "be prepared" mantra from boy scouts. Sure the SAK will work 98% of the time, but it would be nice to have that "just in case" knife. I really wouldn't want to scale or gut a fish with a SAK.
Interesting to see the different views here. I tend to be the type of person who goes into the woods thinking, what if I need to spend a day or two in here for some unknown reason.
I carry about 8 feet of rope, matches, fire starter stick, not to mention extra clothes (socks, tops, warm layer even in summer)
I'm enjoying the replies, but I'm curious as to how many of you are lugging bottles of wine around in the woods? :rolleyes:

onrhodes said:
I tend to be the type of person who goes into the woods thinking, what if I need to spend a day or two in here for some unknown reason.
I carry about 8 feet of rope, matches, fire starter stick, not to mention extra clothes (socks, tops, warm layer even in summer)
I'm enjoying the replies, but I'm curious as to how many of you are lugging bottles of wine around in the woods? :rolleyes:

I think that two large plastic bags and some extra food would be way more useful for your agenda than a large "just in case" knife. IMHO

I do transfer the wine into a soda bottle. After all if I'm going to bring glass into the backcountry, it will be leaded crystal wine glasses

JHS

Pete_Hickey said:
My son claims that knives (and nalgene bottles) are 'shared things' You loose it, and find another. They are really owned by the mountain, who just loans them to you.

Best quote EVER!

I wrap about 3' of duct tape around my nalgene bottle just in case I need some tape on the trail (or if the next guy needs it). It also adds to the 'mountain man' look :cool:

Last edited:
John H Swanson said:
I think that two large plastic bags and some extra food would be way more useful for your agenda than a large "just in case" knife. IMHO

JHS

I didn't list food, because I figured that was a given. I easily carry enough food to last me a few days. You'd be surprised how far a few cliff bars, some gorp, and a PB&J can get you.

I guess I fail to see the utility of a sharp blade more than 1" for general backpacking.

For first aid and sewing repairs, a small pair of sciccors is infinitely better.

For woodcraft, a small folding saw is much, much better.

For meal prep, a lexan type of knife is still overkill. I get by fine with the dull end of my spoon. Its not like I'm cutting meat or veggies generally.

For equipment repair, a multi-tool, mini-vice-grip or other dedicated tools are better. For ex, a racheting screwdriver is a part of my ski wax kit.

For survival in the northeast, water and warmth are more important. The folding saw wins here, by far.

I'm not dissing knives, nor those who choose to carry them. IMO, they are very powerful cultural icons that get imbued with all sort of deep meaning. And there's really nothing wrong with that so long as those ounces of pack weight add to one's experience and doesn't hurt others.

BTW, I carry a Leatherman WAVE in the winter, which has locking 2" blade. But, I carry it for the burly pliers (ski repair), folding saw blade (fire), awl (ski repair) and various screw drivers (ski repair).

Last comment.... If you are doing stuff that involves rope-craft of some sort (eg. climbing) then a knife becomes important as a safety tool.

"Jonathan,..... cut.... the ..... rope." <- name that flick

I think Peter cut the rope in Vertical Limit and Simon cut the rope in Into the Void. ;)

Dave M. makes a good point. If your equipment requires maintenance you'll need the right tools.
A big, heavy knife is rarely required while a plier or awl could save your outing.

Chip said:
I think Peter cut the rope in Vertical Limit and Simon cut the rope in Into the Void. ;)

Oh, the movie I'm thinking about way, way predates Vertical Limit.

OnRhodes,
I recenty joined up here and my first question was about carrying some sort of protection in the woods.
Most people thought it was unneccessary to protect oneself from wildlife or a troublemaker.
As far as general use, I carry a leatherman, which is very versatile.
But, I still feel that I am better off with something else on my belt for self defense. I don't know if it's just me, I just feel safer this way.
For this use, I like the Kabar marine corps knife, or some other kind of fixed blade.
I am not an ex marine, or a secret commando nut. I simply prefer to be cautious.
Take care, Eric

redcloud said:
. . . As far as general use, I carry a leatherman, which is very versatile.

But, I still feel that I am better off with something else on my belt for self defense. I don't know if it's just me, I just feel safer this way.
For this use, I like the Kabar marine corps knife, or some other kind of fixed blade. I am not an ex marine, or a secret commando nut. I simply prefer to be cautious.

As in most things, there is no "right" or "wrong" knife to carry. You do what suits your own preference and sense of comfort for the tasks at hand. My guess is that as your experience and confidence in hiking through the woods (alone or with other folks) grows, your idealized knife-for-comfort will get smaller and smaller. I think that's a pretty common evolution in this game.

G.

Grumpy said:
As in most things, there is no "right" or "wrong" knife to carry. You do what suits your own preference and sense of comfort for the tasks at hand. My guess is that as your experience and confidence in hiking through the woods (alone or with other folks) grows, your idealized knife-for-comfort will get smaller and smaller. I think that's a pretty common evolution in this game.

G.

I have to agree. My bil bought my wife a Marine Kabar when we first returned to hiking. It only took a few trips before we realized that the weight of the knife far outweighed the sense of personal safety. I now carry a small fixed blade knife that fulfills my needs, but doesn’t add too much weight to my pack. The Kabar has since been relegated to the gear locker.

Chip said:
Eiger Sanction ? I need to watch that again, I don't remember the scene.

The reason why that scene is important is because Eastwood just discovered that George Kennedy is the operative that he has been hutting all along by the way he is limping. For Eastwood to cut the rope when he knows that Kennedy now knows that he is the operative, is in essence, placing his life in the hands of Kennedy.

I use a Benchmade Nimravus Cub 145 SBT attached to My hip belt. Being a soloist, I don't leave home without it!! It is a fixed knife with a 4'' blade and not too heavy or bulky. Hey, You never know when You have to cut something (or someone) off!!

I carry two of the Leatherman micros (or something like that). One with the scissors is attatched to my firstaid kit and the pair with the pliers is carried with my emergency stuff ie duct tape, cord, etc.. I don't like duplicating the tools that are on both, but the tools weigh so little they don't really add up.