Lost Hiker on Mt Lafayette - FOUND!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frodo said:
Nothing like a happy ending! :)

This reminds me of a similar situation a few years ago when a Canadian hiker became separated from his group in a whiteout on the summit of Lafayette and also went down into the Pemi. The only difference is he ended up hiking all the way out to the Lincoln Woods parking lot and did not need to be rescued. (I bet Mohamed remembers that one)

just wondering but any news on why he did not try to walk out?

Frostbitten feet. Lost. Don't they teach you just to wait it out instead of wandering around endlessly?

Variocana said:

One of the news sources (Nashua Telegraph, I think), said his boots were frozen solid. Plus, he didn't even know what side of the mountain he was on. Probably best that he stayed put.

Edit: What dug said ;)

Variocana said:
None that I am aware of.

Possible reasons:
* People are often advised to stay put and wait for rescue if lost
* Frostbite
* He was weak. His first bivy was described as a "makeshift shelter", so he likely didn't have a tent. He may also not have had a stove (required to make water) or much food. The group gear was presumably divided up among the three and we don't know who had which gear.

Note the SAR choppered him out rather than walking him out which suggests that he was unable to walk that far by the time he was found.

Doug

edit: guess I type more slowly than dug and Nutsosa... :)

Last edited:
Good ending to the story... for some time there I was kind of expecting the worse - I mean, stuck out there for 2 nights with the recent temps?!!
He really pulled it off and mucho kudos to the SAR folks - they are just amazing.

I'm curious what the rescue cost? I'm not suggesting that he should be charged, just curious as to the overall cost.

dug said:
Lost. Don't they teach you just to wait it out instead of wandering around endlessly?

Map and compass??? Or are they not carried anymore?

This is not the first case of someone descending the wrong side of a ridge, including Franconia Ridge. It is understandable, especially to anyone out in those conditions, how easy it is to get disoriented but what I always ponder is, where is the compass? Descending the west side of the ridge, at worse, leaves one a few rugged miles from a road. Descending the east side still leaves you many miles and possibly treacherous crossings from civilization.

There's always joy in the rescue. It reinforces being properly equipped. It also reinforces the point of staying put rather than wander aimlessly. I shiver at the thought of what that cold was like. My thumbs are still a bit numb for just a half day skiing ... my toes still tingle from sitting in my kitchen over an uninsulated crawl space.

I think a map and compass would have helped him. Even if he didn't know what side of the mountain he was on, he could have figured it out based on, hey if I go west I go up, and if I go east I go down -- I'm on the Lincoln Brook Side of the Mountain. Now trudge on Southeast, I'll pick up the Lincoln Brook Trail. He could have probably found a logging road that brought him to the old rail road bed.

Speculation. We could analyze what he did wrong and whatnot till we're blue in the face but I just think that a map and compass is important. If he had frostbite, that's another story. But still, it can't hurt to have a map and compass. At least he could have told his friends when he called approximately where he was.

And if he was really ambitious, he could have hiked up Owl's Head on his way out.

-Dr. Wu

Stan said:
This is not the first case of someone descending the wrong side of a ridge, including Franconia Ridge. It is understandable, especially to anyone out in those conditions, how easy it is to get disoriented but what I always ponder is, where is the compass? Descending the west side of the ridge, at worse, leaves one a few rugged miles from a road. Descending the east side still leaves you many miles and possibly treacherous crossings from civilization.
Think about it...
* descending to the west would have meant going into high winds. And it is a long way to cover on Greenleaf Tr. There would most likely have been some protection from the terrain on the east side. People lost in such weather often go downwind.
* The west is steeper (between N Lafayette and Little Haystack)--some of the terrain on that side is at least semi-technical.
* When the winds are high and it is too cold to take your gloves/mittens off, gear can get blown away and it may be difficult to dig navigational gear out. (Of course, he could have used the wind itself as an approximate direction indicator.)

* Others have missed the turn-off to Greenleaf Tr in bad weather, resulting in a fatality a few years ago. (AFAICT, we don't know which trail he was trying to descend.) The result may have been that he was stuck on the ridge and didn't know where he was.

Doug

Last edited:
Has anyone here ever carried their map and compass - in their pack? I always used to do that until I learned that I found it to be such a PITA to dig it out and start looking at them trying to figure what's going on that I would wait too long. Especially when my mind was in "follow the trail" mode. I can only imagine such a scenario in a blizzard when it's freezing. That may not be the case here but maybe it was.

Neil said:
Has anyone here ever carried their map and compass - in their pack?
I don't have the patience to keep taking my pack off (it keeps my back warm), especially in a storm.
If going above treeline - around my neck, with key bearings written on the back.

At this point it's all would'ves, should'ves, could'ves... I'm just glad he came out of this one alive and can learn from this experience. Considering the situation, he made a lot of good decisions out there.

Neil said:
Has anyone here ever carried their map and compass - in their pack? I always used to do that until I learned that I found it to be such a PITA to dig it out and start looking at them trying to figure what's going on that I would wait too long. Especially when my mind was in "follow the trail" mode. I can only imagine such a scenario in a blizzard when it's freezing. That may not be the case here but maybe it was.
Are you saying it's a bad idea to carry one? I probably wouldn't pull it out during a blizzard (map and compass that is) although usually I have them in my pocket anyhow so it's not so much of a problem. Either way, if he had it, once he got below treeline he could have identified which side of the mountain he was on, most likely. And then bagged Owl's Head if he was a list person.

-Dr. Wu

cbcbd said:
At this point it's all would'ves, should'ves, could'ves... I'm just glad he came out of this one alive and can learn from this experience. Considering the situation, he made a lot of good decisions out there.

In general some will have their analysis of what he should of done. However, none of us were in his shoes, (boots) so we are not in any position to judge what he could of done differently. It's apparent his experience, gave him the common sense to stay put, stay as warm as he could and made it out alive. The main thing in this incident, is that he survived and that is all that is important.

I usually have my compass hanging around my neck with a plastic whistle. If I have hiked the trail often my map will be in my pack. If I have only hiked it once or twice, I keep the map in my jacket pocket. If the weather starts to turn, I have my map at the ready just in case I have to retreat quickly. I would be surprised if he didn’t at least have a compass, let alone a map. If he was a certified First Responder as the reports indicate it would be foolish not to have had both items.

In either case, kudos to him for surviving.

dr_wu002 said:
Are you saying it's a bad idea to carry one? I probably wouldn't pull it out during a blizzard (map and compass that is) although usually I have them in my pocket anyhow so it's not so much of a problem. Either way, if he had it, once he got below treeline he could have identified which side of the mountain he was on, most likely. And then bagged Owl's Head if he was a list person.

-Dr. Wu
I forgot to add that now I almost always carry both my M&C around my neck, not in the pack. The map tends to blow around and be a pain in high winds but it's worth it.

sardog1 said:
Some more details in the Union Leader this morning: Lost hiker found alive.

Here's the Obs' Higher Summits Forecast from last Friday for Saturday. Saturday was the day they started on the hike to the summit of Lafayette:

Precipitation ahead of a low pressure system along the eastern seaboard will continue to move over the summits this morning as the low moves up. The heaviest snow fall amounts will occur in the southern and coastal regions although the summits will receive a fair amount. The main story is as the low pulls away to the north today, it will deepen and the pressure gradient will grow tighter. This will cause winds to increase today into tomorrow night with winds gusting increasing rapidly to hurricane force this afternoon then averaging at least 100 mph tomorrow. Winds will also shift to a northwesterly direction as well bringing in colder conditions. This will allow wind chills to reach almost 60 below by Saturday as winds stay high and temperatures plummet. Snow showers will linger through the period as well as a decent upslope snow event occurs. Loose snow and high winds will also lift snow off the ground creating near white out conditions as well at times. Windchills will be 10-20 below today, 40-50 below tonight, and 50-60 below tomorrow.

Here's an excerpt from the USFS Avalanche Advisory for Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines for Friday. it is often useful for trip planning, even outside avalanche terrain:

The other main concern besides snow stability for tomorrow will be very high and very gusty winds with a dropping temperatures. We are expecting gusting over 110mph (177+kph) with a high temperature of only -15F (-26C). As tomorrow is a Saturday this is very concerning as more people will consider attempting to go to the summit. Do not consider this a personal challenge to overcome. If the forecast plays out these are truly desperate conditions. High winds are underestimated by many because they have been in 70mph (112kph) winds so what could another 40mph (65kph) matter? Trust me, A LOT! Anyone being out at all should have the best arctic mountain clothing possible. Feet, hands, and face are the locations have we have seen the most frostbitten. So good boots, mittens and the often-neglected face gear is extremely important.

Going out in light of this forecast is not a smart decision. Thankfully he made it, but you can't overlook the risk he put the SAR folks under.