MAGIC the gathering IV

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was leaning more towards Peekamoose/Table & back for Saturday and Ashokan High Point on Sunday as I know I will not be up for the mega traverse. If it was May I might try it with the longer daylight - but 12 hours - no I am not a night hiker. However, I will go with the flow if there are other peaks that people want to challenge.

Sorry to say but it looks like I won't be able to attend the gathering....family obligations :mad: but I'm still exercising and getting knees ready to work on my winter peaks.....have fun

I am 100% in unless the forecast is calling for rain all weekend :eek:

So lets see! I am a newbi, never been to the Catskills, so what should I expect? I want to hike one of the 35 or multiples on Saturday. I will be arriving midafternoon on Friday or I can be there earlier if peeps are hiking Friday.

I also need driving directions so PM if you like. I am coming down Interstate 88 from Binghamton.

Thanks,
Adam

Bump, traverse is still on for saturday, rain can kiss my shiny metal *ss. :)

Am going to be setting up camp friday morning and then hiking... I have a small 2 person Walrus tent..

Jay

I will be there! I am leaving tonight sometime and meeting Snickers at the Slide trailhead tomorrow at 730am if anyone is interested. Then her and I are hiking Balsam and Grahm on Saturday if anyone is interested. We are both camping at Sundown Friday night and I will be there Saturday as well. I think Snickers is parting ways Saturday after our hike.

I can't seem to get on the adkhigh peaks forum. I am ready to go Sat..I will be at the Peekamoose trailhead at 7:00 a.m. Sat.to take some people over to Moon Haw to start the traverse.I will need a ride back after.It's up and running now

Last edited:
I can't seem to get on the other forum. I am ready to go Sat..I will be at the Peekamoose trailhead at 7:00 a.m. Sat.to take some people over to Moon Haw to start the traverse.I will need a ride back after.

Yeah, it seems like adkhighpeaks.com is down. I'll meet you at the Peekamoose trailhead at 7:00 AM. See you!

Seems AHP is down, I haven't been able to even ping the site since late afternoon...

Jay

We're planning on coming, but taking it easy this weekend. We'll arrive some time Saturday for the potluck and camping and will do an easier hike on Sunday. I was hoping to see the other thread to see what was needed for the potluck ... we're still not sure what we are bringing.

If you have a car camping propane stove, that would be handy. I'm not sure if Dick/Jo are still coming and they are the only ones with a propane stove. I am bringing a port. BBQ with some briquettes but the propane would be more even heat..

Don't sweat the potluck thing, a whole bunch of us probably will be very hungry!

Also, if one has a canopy tent, that would be very helpful, I have a tarp but no poles and Sundown isn't that conducive to tarps...

Jay

Unfortunately, we only have a little charcoal bbq grill (we have a propane Coleman stove).

We don't have a canopy either, but I think Brad might have one. I can ask if we can borrow it.

Attending - maybe?

I am looking at the weather as I have to admit I am a fair weather hiker. Hiking in the rain does not appeal to me and camping in the rain appeals to me even less. I also have no intention of doing the traverse. So tonight (Friday night) it is 50-60% chance of showers between 2-6 AM. Then the chance of precip decreases for awhile to 30% but goes up to 50% from 11AM-1 PM Saturday with scattered thunderstorms. The threat of precipitation is over around 6 PM. True this weather event is showers (not an accumulating drenching all day rain) but still the chance of precipitation is great enough to say why deal with this dampness when I don't have to. So what I have decided is that if the sun comes out in Warwick by 3 PM, I will be there at Sundown by 6 PM Saturday evening to dine, camp and socialize. If it is not clearing by then I will just dayhike Sunday. Either way I have decided to go on the Catskill 3500 Club offering Sunday which is North Dome & Sherrill (Spruceton Road approach). I will be leaving Sunday from Sundown (if I am camping with you folks) at 7:30 AM for this hike. If I am going straight from home, I will go directly to the hike. If anyone is interested in this hike Sunday, drop me an e-mail for the leader's phone/e-mail address. You must pre-register to go on the hike. The weather on Sunday sounds excellent, so I am committing myself to participating on Sunday's Catskill 3500 Club hike. Hope to see you Saturday evening/Sunday.

Sorry that you guys couldn't make it, It never rained on saturday or sunday, though it did rain friday night a bit. We had a good time on the traverse on saturday. Trip reports are coming and pictures maybe a long time later since the photographer has sloooooww internet. I was hiking on friday and never read your messages til now. (You can see my report on my friday's hike).

Maybe next year, if I am still in the Catskills area..

Jay

I had great time on our 5 mountain traverse. We expected rain,but it was a no show.I am looking forward to seeing Swedes pictures and report.It was nice seeing everyone again,sorry I could not stick around Sat. night and party. Thanks Jay for organizing it.

Last edited: