MAGIC - The gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Saturday morning, Laurie and I arrived at the Catskill gathering dubbed MAGIC, (a host of explanations are available, including Make A Great Inclined Climb), and met quite a few people finishing up breakfast. Some of the usual suspects were there, including JayH, Chip, RockySummit, ColdFeet, Doodles, etc.

A few people went off to do Friday and Balsam Cap, but most of us saddled up around 8:30 and headed down the short road walk to do Van Wyck. We found the old road that parallels the Bear Hole Brook, and off we went. With JayH leading the way, we found 2 plane wrecks along the way, and stopped briefly at each one to check them out. After the 2nd wreck, we could clearly see the summit of Van Wyck just ahead of us. It looked like it was going to be steep and it was! We had to do about 500' up and over and around ledges and muddy, icy, steep rocks. But we all made it with only minor scrapes.

The view from the Van Wyck lookout (just a few feet from the summit) over towards Table and Peekamoose was great. We even spied Mohonk Tower.

The weather was calm and clear and just a tad chilly at this point. As we started to get ready to head on, Snickers finally realized that we were going on to Table and Peekamoose! :eek: :D Oh well, it was not the most organized hike in the world, but we did manage to stay together most of the time. Not bad for a group of 12 on a bushwhack.

We headed down the col towards Table first. This was pretty easy, but the climb up the other side was another 1000' of gain. Eventually, we were within feet of the summit, but now we had to fight our way up some cliffs and thru some moderately thick firs. We made it and caught up to Jay and a few of the faster ones standing on the trail! What a relief to see a trail marker! :D

In just a few seconds we were at the summit. This was Cam's first 35'er! Congrats Cam! :D You did it the hard way! :D

Off we went down and back up the relatively easy col to Peekamoose. Here, we finally had enough room for a group shot.

http://home.hvc.rr.com/trankin/DSC00343a.jpg

Then we walked down to the ledges and admired some more views. Eventually we came to Reconnoiter Rock. We tried, but we couldn't get it to move! :D

http://home.hvc.rr.com/trankin/DSC00349a.jpg

Eventually, we got back to the trailhead, and made our way back to the campsite. After a few well earned brews, we headed off to a nice dinner at Brio's.

A great day, with some new and some old friends. Thanks to Jay for putting this together! :D

Last edited:
It was a fun time, although I had to bail on Saturday am due to a cold... I got home and after enjoying some cold meds, slept most of the day.. :(

It was fun to meet all of you, it sounds like a great day out, the weather was going to be top notch.

Kevin

Nice TR Tom, and nice meeting up with some new friends (hope you're feeling better Kevin) and catching the familiar ones. Thanx to Jay for getting the ball rolling. I'm sure we'll being meeting up again soon.
-Tony

It was great seeing some old faces and meeting new ones ! We were quite comfortable Friday night. Burgers, steak, veggies, drinks, cookies and chocolate cake were shared fire side. Low temp (outside my tent) was recorded at 24 degrees that night, but the Jay H crew claimed some sort of colder artic air vortex enveloped their tent, who knows ?!!!
Saturday morning we headed up Van Wyck and with the help of 2 or 3 GPS units made it straight to the military plane crash site and then closer to the summit of Van Wyck, the civilian plane crash site. All a bit somber, but interesting to come upon in the woods, regardless.

At the summit area of Van Wyck we stopped for an early lunch break. I was looking forward to the whack between Van and Table as I heard it got a bit thick in there. On the way I learned the answer to an age old question was a resounding "Yes !" After some open woods and a short push through some thick spruce and ledges we were at the summit of Table. A quick jog down the trail (I like trails !) brought us to Peekamoose. We took a few group shots (Tom got a great one of us all) and observed a small memorial to the hiker who had died there this year. It was all down hill and good views from there. Looking back southwest we had a good view of Van Wyck and the shoulder below Table. Jay H's friend Cam enjoyed her first Catskills peaks Saturday, although she is an experienced hiker, having done some 30+ mile day hikes.
After we finished I headed home just before sunset as most of the rest of the group headed off to dinner at Brio's and another night and day of camping and hiking.

Last edited:
Great shots, everyone!

The Moose and Table were my very first hikes in the Catskills and I've enjoyed hiking them several times in the years that have followed..thanks for sharing your photos, I really enjoyed seeing them!

Looks like everyone had a great time!

Sabrina

Chip said:
It was great seeing some old faces and meeting new ones !

Indeed it was. Nice meeting you Chip, and everyone else as well.

This turned out to be a great hike on a beautiful day. We held together quite well for a group of 12.

Nice TR Tom. Hope your leg is allright. I guess it's not a bushwack unless a little blood is left behind.

Congrats to Cam on her first 2, 3500 peaks and 1st HH. Hope you continue on in the Catskills.

Thanks Jay, for getting the trip together and leading us flawlessly to the wrecks and the peaks.

Take care all.

George

Last edited:
Doodles said:
Nice TR Tom. Hope your leg is allright. I guess it's not a bushwack unless a little blood is left behind.
As they used to say on TV or in the movies, "It's just a flesh wound"! :D

Yes, I had a fine time, plenty of food and didn't freeze. Hopefully next time I'll feel up to one of the group hikes.

Saw an interesting thing on Tremper Sunday. There was water flowing down the trail several places, and the old road often has culverts for water to cross. This particular spot, the water flowing down the trail just flowed over the culvert and kept going!

Thanks for everybody having a good time... It was a lot of fun!

Cam, Mike, and I showed up friday afternoon after stopping in the Hannafords in Kingston to look for buffalo burgers. We did see buffalo steaks and ground buffalo but the packaging showed they seemed to be from Denver, CO... Who want's Buffalo from CO? Everybody knows that the Catskills are famous for buffalo.... So we bought Porcupine...erh I mean regular cow burgers and headed out to find a grill top.

Got to Sundown around 1pm and setup tents and then proceeded to lazily walk up towards Buttermilk Falls which we explored for a bit.

On Sunday, David, Cindy, Cam, Mike, Kathy, Steve, Brad, and I hiked up to Ashoken HP on a warmer but a bit more hazy day. David, having knee problems turned around almost to the trail junction where it turns steeper. Up at the summit, we had a good view of Mohonk again and the reservoir and of course, little Ashoken. We did the loop but didn't see any signs of the plane wreck this time so we headed back down the same trail. I pointed out Mombaccus and Little Rocky which are on the Hundred Highest to the others... Got back to the cars and we all proceeded back to reality...

Jay

it was a great hike up to van wyck, table and peekamoose. the weather was perfect. very nice meeting everyone and met some cool people from my neck of the woods (mid hudson valley). rob. :)

Oh BTW, there were some unclaimed stuff at Sundown on sunday morning when we packed up. I think they are Kevin's (gunksclimber):

I know the VT maple syrup was yours, I claimed that as it was still only half empty. The oil that was in the Shampoo bottle was tossed. And I think you might of left 2 chairs at the campsite.. One was a brown camp chair with no arms I think with a matching case and the other chair that was unclaimed was a small beach-like chair that was multicolored and low to the ground. I think they were yours...

We gave them to Pudgy_Groundhog and Halfmoon knowing all of you are in the Poughkeepsie area...

Jay

jay... Yes, the low beach chair was mine... That is all from your list... I will get a hold pf PG to get that from her....

Jay H said:
Thanks for everybody having a good time... It was a lot of fun!

Cam, Mike, and I showed up friday afternoon after stopping in the Hannafords in Kingston to look for buffalo burgers. We did see buffalo steaks and ground buffalo but the packaging showed they seemed to be from Denver, CO... Who want's Buffalo from CO? Everybody knows that the Catskills are famous for buffalo.... So we bought Porcupine...erh I mean regular cow burgers and headed out to find a grill top.

Got to Sundown around 1pm and setup tents and then proceeded to lazily walk up towards Buttermilk Falls which we explored for a bit.

On Sunday, David, Cindy, Cam, Mike, Kathy, Steve, Brad, and I hiked up to Ashoken HP on a warmer but a bit more hazy day. David, having knee problems turned around almost to the trail junction where it turns steeper. Up at the summit, we had a good view of Mohonk again and the reservoir and of course, little Ashoken. We did the loop but didn't see any signs of the plane wreck this time so we headed back down the same trail. I pointed out Mombaccus and Little Rocky which are on the Hundred Highest to the others... Got back to the cars and we all proceeded back to reality...

Jay

Sounds like a great hike.

Natasha and I were breaking camp when you guys were coming up the trail. We didn't know it was your group until David, bad knee and all, caught up with us on the way down. The VFTT gave him away.

Van Wyck sounds (and looks) like a very pretty mountain. Great pics, Chip. I'll have to climb this one sooner rather than later. Nice TR, Tom. Sorry we didn't get to meet everyone on Saturday evening. In addition to the 2 hour drive home, Sean had been to a wedding the night before, and didn't get to bed until 1:30am ........ we were both pretty tired after leaving Ralph's home and decided to hit the road ........ next time we camp, assuming no weddings the night before. :rolleyes:

Thanks for organizing Jay, we had a great time! Nice trip reports and pics everybody. It's a bummer to be back at work after such a nice weekend. :(

I'm at work so I'll add pics later...

Jay, thx for the gathering, the moon looked awesome both nights...

I went to the Balsam Cap/ Friday bushwack with Tony, John, Jim, Sean, Rob and Ralph led after I got them through the tough part (logging road) :rolleyes:

Ralph got us up to an old plane crash from the 40's, it's really big and sad to see because of the casualties, it's at the 2600 ft level and 1000 ft short of the peak...

One of the most difficult parts of the hike was the leaves because they filled in the gaps between the rocks and when you stepped into them you went down from a few inches to a good foot or two...I think Sean took a bad drop into one of them...I took a few slides onto my butt because we were walking a little sideways on the switchback...that does make my ankle a little soar..

After seeing the wreck it was a good steep climb up to Balsam Cap....there was a little powder at the higher elevations...The guys showed spots of bear droppings along the way....We got some nice views between the trees at certain parts...We went back down a little ways, ate lunch and went back up to Friday...I think the time spent relaxing was more hurtful for me because my legs relaxed and then we had to climb up again....it was probably only a 1/2 hour hike to get to the cannister....i wore goggles at times because I heard about the thick Balsam, but Ralph led us a different way that was easy on the skin and face...

At the 6 hour mark coming down I felt a sharp pain in my knee, I knew there was a problem before that but I figured "mind over matter"....we were back at the cars about a hour later...I ate 2 Aleve and 4 Advil that day but it didn't help....

Went to Ralphs for a drink and snack...thx to his wife Maddie for allowing us in her house and letting me call my worried wife...

The temps were better that evening and I was able to use the propane stove to heat up food.....the guys collected loads of wood that afternoon and I started the fire....

Had a big breakfast in the am and I attempted to join them on the Ashokan trip...1 hour into it I knew that it would be foolish to continue because my knee hurt....really was my first time I bailed in my short hiking hobby, I was upset for a few reasons, I don't mind being the slowest but I still want to get there...seeing the Dr. next week...wonder how mant times my knee can get scoped?...been done 2x's already...

Will post pics...also making plans for winter gathering, even if I can't hike I can still cook!

Thanks for the organization skills Jay. Had a nice time Fri nite meeting everyone, wish I could have stayed Sat night or got back Sunday. Met alot of people and saw some old friends, but I'm terrible with names so if I pass any of you on the trail or in the woods, say something.
There was a cold vortex in the open areas, I don't think it got under the trees. Cam, sorry again about scorching your cook pot. Brown chair is mine, it was dark when I dropped Dave off and forgot about it .PG ,keep it , toss it, or I'll get it from you some time your'e in the Cats.Its been everywhere.
Coldfeet, did they bring you anything back for dinner?

David, sorry to hear about your knee, hope you get it on the mend! I'll go up Ashokan High Point with you in the future if you want, it's one of my favorite mountains with its multiplicity of views....

funkyfreddy said:
David, sorry to hear about your knee, hope you get it on the mend! I'll go up Ashokan High Point with you in the future if you want, it's one of my favorite mountains with its multiplicity of views....

I'd like to climb that one too. It's on the Cat100 list as well. :p

Multiplicity ....... I like that word ........... neat movie too.