Major Noreaster Coming!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr. Dasypodidae said:
Right, as any low pressure system (the current Nor'easter, a hurricane, whatever) moves over a location, the winds blow counterclockwise into the center of the system (as opposed to wind flow that is clockwise outward from a high pressure system). So, as a low pressure system moves over the New England area, winds begin from the south, then shift to the southeast, east, northeast, north, and finally northwest and even west as the system passes.
When the wind is at your back the low is to your left.
I also remember reading that barometric pressure is much less important than changes in wind direction.

Neil said:
When the wind is at your back the low is to your left.
I also remember reading that barometric pressure is much less important than changes in wind direction.

Barometric pressure can be very important with a storm, especially if you are looking for a blizzard.

Usually there is a cold hogh pressure system north of the storm, and west of the storm. Isobars are lines of equal pressure, and if the isobars are packed really tightly together then your wind velocity will be much higher. So usually, with a deep storm, the isobars are tightly packed because the storm has such a low pressure, hence the stronger wind.

Yeah Snow!!!!

Well over 2 feet at this point in Danville, VT (just west of St. Johnsbury), probably be close to 3 feet by the end of the storm. Spent some time walking around in my yard. Should be fun breaking trail for the next couple of days!!!

In South Hero, somewhere between zero" and 3 feet have fallen. With all the blowing I would not know where to measure. On the 6pm news they said 15", so I guess that is as good as any number, probably 2-4" have fallen since then, but I have no clue. The wind is kicking up allot of snow that has already fallen, so it is tough to tell. Let's just say that snow I have been wishing for all winter, I said "when" around lunch time, where I would have estimated I had shovelled about a foot (say 4-5" this morning and another 8" around noon time, before the wind picked up in earnest). but mother nature is still answering my wishes for snow.

I just walked around outside and the best I could tell is about 22" here in Quechee, but the wind is REALLY starting to blow, so it's going to get tough. I live about 150 yards from Route 4 and it is drifting in pretty badly across the road. I don't think the roads will be in good shape tomorrow morning at all -- maybe impassable altogether. As much as I'd like to hit some powder at Sugarbush, I think I'll stay off the roads. Fortunately, I know some good BC on the hill above my house. ;)

"In the shadow of Mt Cube NH" Lost the ruler so we're measuring snow fall the old fashioned way

Stepped outside by back door and post holed

Drifts are now over our heads

Lost the kids in the back yard, located them by the tassel of their knit hat sticking up from the snow

School now cancelled for the second day in a row

Strongly considering a plow for Christmas next year

Yea Snow!!!
:D

Well we have 18 inches now at Lebanon and a few more should accumulate. There is a small feature that has developed called a zipper low and is enhancing the snowfall for the White Mountains and some of the foothills. The rest of the snow in Vermont and New York is now dissapating...finally..I was a bit jealous at times. Overall and amazing snowstorm with the mountains of Vt, NH, and ME getting 2-3 feet with isolated places over that. -Mattl

Skied at Sugarbush today, 14 buck lift ticket for V-Day. Lot of snow, don't know how many inches. Lets just say enough to make the tree skiing sweat. Glad I brought a shovel along, my car was completely cover by days end. Only downside was a long nast drive back to Montpelier. Secondary roads are impassable, unless you have a 4 wheel drive and serious snow tires. Oh did I mention lots of snow!

Blue Sky in Colchester now. Cold & windy with an inch of frozen concrete, you can't even tell I drove over it. Small limbs down due to freezing rain. Trees look pretty covered in ice.

Madison, NH...we got about 2', give or take 4". It's hard to tell excactly because of the driting. The snowflakes were small the whole time, very fine powder this morning. I'll bet Tuckerman Ravine got alot of drift snow from the summit. Tried out my new 36" Tubbs yesterday afternoon :D

Happy Trails :)

Encased In Reading, MA

We got light snow in Reading, MA all Wednesday morning. The temperature started out around 20. There was around 4-5 inches of accumulated snow by 3:00. I watched the temperature climb from 24 to 30 degrees in a matter of only 30 minutes and I knew what was coming. I went out to try to clear off all the snow from the cars and driveway when the skies opened up and it poured. All the light, powdery snow turned to slop. Then the temperature dropped and the rain turned to sleet and everything froze solid. The cars looked like they were sprayed with shotcrete. Luckily, I had tarped the cars, so it only took me a couple of hours to chip them out.

I'll take 4 ft. of snow any day over this crap!

About 2 ft. of snow in Bethel. I hear that Gorham & Berlin got closer to 30 inches.
-vegematic

We ended up with about 21 inches here in Lebanon, what a great storm! The totals for the whites are strange to say the least..they got hammered and yet they seem very low. I really think drifting and settling was a major player. Zealand Notch reported 17 inches from this...which is definetly not right. Bretton Woods got 30 inches!I know it can be variable, but since they waited till morning to measure, I imagine it all blew into drifts and settled. Yes I know, Vermont destroyed NH, Jay got about 60 inches, stowe almost 50. I bet some areas of the whites got that as well...It was still a 2-3 foot storm for most of the north. -Mattl

in concord it looks like we only got about 5 inches..flakes were tiny tiny, hard to tell with all the wind blowing the snow around, but there arent really any big drifts to speak of either. must be in a pocket. driving sucks

Sixty inches at Jay? Hmm, if you measure every 15 minutes maybe. Not taking anything away from this storm, it certainly was a humdinger if you sat in the middle of the heavy snow bands, but, 60 inches? Gimme a break. Sixty inch drifts maybe.... Stowe supposedly had 48 and they sat in a heavier snow band longer. Well if the 60 inches is true that will settle down to like 20 in no time.

Somesone needs to go to Jay today, ski it and report back. I'm skeptical. Skeptical about Stowe as well. Most big ski areas in New England got close to 30 inches, and the heaviest snowfall I could find in an elevated town in VT was 36 inches. Hmmm....

Meanwhile, Lebanon picked up between 20 and 24 inches, kind of tough to measure. If I measure in a drifted area, there is 3 feet, in a not so drifted area, there is 10 inches. Average seems to be about 22 inches. Twas a good storm for many.

grouseking

Southern and Central VT got slammed, on the news this a.m. they called this the second largest snowfall in VT weather history.

Edited to correct: the second largest snowfall within 24 hours in VT history.

Last edited:
Saddleback, ME is reporting 40" and Sugarloaf is reporting 31" at the base. These obviously should be taken with a grain of salt but the NWS is reporting that Eustis, ME got 29.8 inches which could validate the above claims.

We only got around 9" in mid coast Maine.