Major Noreaster Coming!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here in Elizabethtown NY we received 26/28 inches but the Plattsburgh news mentionned 38" !!!

Of course with the high wind some drifts are twice as high....

Cambridge, which is 15-20 miles north east of Burlington near Mansfield picked up 36 inches. Awesome storm! We picked up 1 of our 2 feet of snow in about a 3 hour timeframe yesterday afternoon/evening when the storm was just bombing out up here.

It snowed,then rained here. Then everything froze overnight. I did get to wear my new Bugagootoo's and Black Diamond contact strap crampons out as I chipped away at 3" of ice in the driveway. So who's breaking out which trail this weekend? :)

I just got back from trail breaking on Mt. Major (Alton, NH). I'd say about a foot of new snow, summit is blown clear but drifts can be knee deep or more. After 2 1/2 hours (~4 miles) I'm a bit tired but conditions were fantastic. :D

The Dark Side of Big Snow

24 hours ago, I was praising Big Snow as a savior that shined down from above, illuminating my life like a Halloween pumpkin. I was dancing with joy like a hippie as the snow steadily accumulated and our global warming theorists were hung from the galleys, like the traitors they were.

Then a funny thing happened. The endorphins wore off, the jubilation ended, and morning started. I slumped into the car, drove in to work, and found that the roads were.......closed? Do they know I have snow tires? Where are the plows? I drove an alternate route and soon found a disturbing pattern. None of the parking lots in town had been plowed. After almost getting stuck in a faux lot, I resolved to head to the main parking lot and ride the bus!

While riding to the main lot, i heard a catchy jingle. After assertaining that it was not the voice in my head, i answered my phone. "Hello, Roadside grill, you kill we grill 'em" i said, the voice on the other end said "Yea, my roommate dropped me off at the bus lot, but there are no busses here." So i picked up the straggler and headed off to whore myself out for THE MAN. I parked in the parking garage, took my ticket, and walked through the deserted mall.

After an hour or so of pretending to be nice to people that are border line mentally handicapped or have intense anger managment issues, we were told to evacuate the building as there was a gas leak. Feeling woozy, I waddled out like a Duck on crack, and headed into the 5 degree temps outside. The next few hours are a blurrrrrrr....

So the day ends, and I leave the parking garage. $15 to park for the day. Waaaaay over the full price that they can charge for a full day. Then the day really begins. The normal drive home is 6 miles and 10 minutes. But today is different. The main route home is closed due to no snow plows working in the city. I have a window office seat and i saw ....0 snowplows drive by all day. The drive home takes an hour and 15 minutes. Yet I feel calm... I start to wonder, are all the wonder fluffy flakes worth it? I pull into the driveway, bring some groceries in and open an envelope. $200 hospital bill....I start to wonder who is conspiring against me.

Then I think about skiing this weekend, and i start to remember the big snows i saw when i was a kid and i remember that it is all worth it. Maybe i was smaller then or the snows were bigger, but it was always awe inspiring. I remember how my heart palpitated last night when the snows were pouring down. i am giddy to go ripping through the snow this long weekend on my big boards, and feel the adrenaline rush thru my system as i wonder if i will avoid disaster as i fly over hills and cliffs. I'm alive, be it for good or worse, i feel something..

Obvious, but just a reminder, expect the trails in the White mountains to be buried if you're hiking today or early tomorow, or if you plan on hiking on seldom-used trails. The snow here was very fine, tiny flakes, and the wind blew it all over the place. From the valley, the summit of Mt. Chocorua looks excactly the same now as it did before the storm.

The weather is looking good for hiking this weekend!

Happy Trails :)

My plan to hike Washington does not seem all that promising at the moment. Winds will still be in the 40 to 50 mph range with higher gusts expected. Time to look elsewhere. Any thoughts?

Pemi

MadRiver said:
My plan to hike Washington does not seem all that promising at the moment. Winds will still be in the 40 to 50 mph range with higher gusts expected. Time to look elsewhere. Any thoughts?

Gotto go with the Pemi for this one: Garfield, Twins, Bonds, Hancocks, you name it: if you're looking for a Washington replacement, go with the wilderness.

What a personal question!

Good luck.

go up the carters, and look across the street at big george. mostly wooded, with nice views from outlooks on the ridge.

A favour, if you please...

Could somebody please break out the Mt Osceola trail for me tomorrow at about 7am? It'll be the first time this season I've worn snowshoes and I'm feeling a trifle delicate.

Thanks in advance! :D