Major Noreaster Coming!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there are only about 4 inches of snow here in Concord, NH, the snowflakes are so tiny it doesn't seem to be accumulating much. Maybe it will start snowing harder, it will have to to even begin to reach the accumulations they are predicting. I guess it is sposed to snow all night too.

Here in Rochester the storm is on it's way out and dumped about 20 inches in my back yard. We will most likely see another 5 or six over night if some Lake Snow develops. I would expect about 2 feet when all said and done.

14 or 15 inches in Quechee @ 2:45pm. The snow and wind have picked up in the last few hours, too. Holding at 9 degrees. Visibility is probably ~300 yards. Route 4 has a couple of snowpacked inches on it.

Around 8 inches of snow in SE NH, (Hampstead) and a mixture of sleet and snow keeps changing back and forth. Winds pushing the snow all around.

sardog1 said:
We have the real deal now in SE NH. Heavy snow, winds gusting over 30 mph, and 11 degrees Fahrenheit. Twelve more hours of this and I'll be happy. :D

12 more hours of that and I'm heading to Florida! :eek:

Still sleet and mostly rain in Boston. Looks like ice will be the issue down south.

12 to 14 inches in Thornton. Wind blowing snow all around. About 22 degrees. I'm trying to decide if I want to walk the 500 yards to the William Tell restaurant and have some escargot.

grouseking said:
This is not only a nor'easter, but will turn into an all out blizzard. A nor'easter is a storm that usually develops off the Virginia/North Carolina coast and moves northeast. On the cold side of the storm winds are from the northeast. Thats pretty much where the term comes from. Most winds with the storm right now are out of either the north, or northeast.

I can't remember all the blizzard criteria, but I think it goes somethin like this.....Temps below 20 degrees, heavy snow, less than 1/4 mile visibility and winds of 35 mph for 3 hours or more. So not only is this a classic nor'easter, but it will turn into a classic blizzard especially across New England. BTW, we have close to 10 inches in Lebanon as of noon.

LET IT SNOW

Hmmm..."as I understand it..." I guess I was a little off. :eek:

Thanks for the clarification, Grouseking.

I was looking at the definition that says
a cyclonic storm that moves northeastward within several hundred miles of the eastern coast of the U.S. and Canada, particularly in fall and winter, its often strong northeast winds causing high seas and coastal damage and bearing rain or snow.
but not taking note of the northeasterly motion of the storm. It's wild to me that the thing is moving NE, but will have the winds from the NE as well.

Got another 8-10" since this morning. Heading out to snowshoe after I snowblow tonight.

Be safe out there!

jbrown said:
I was looking at the definition that says but not taking note of the northeasterly motion of the storm. It's wild to me that the thing is moving NE, but will have the winds from the NE as well.

Right, as any low pressure system (the current Nor'easter, a hurricane, whatever) moves over a location, the winds blow counterclockwise into the center of the system (as opposed to wind flow that is clockwise outward from a high pressure system). So, as a low pressure system moves over the New England area, winds begin from the south, then shift to the southeast, east, northeast, north, and finally northwest and even west as the system passes. The source of the low pressure system is not as important as the characteristics of the system as it passes over us here in the Northeast, hence the term Nor'easter (aka Nah'eastah). Wind direction is also a great forecasting tool when out in the mountains (i.e., a wind shift could tell you when to bail out, or not).

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/

Definitely northeast

Good to hear 12+ inches happening in VT and NH!! Not so much around here (Bflo) but the winds were certainly different. Overnight the snow drifted in completely different that usual patterns, coming around the house from the northeast. Lake effect, naturally for us - would be the typical SW to W winds usually setting up narrow bands of snow. The bands typically oscillate, but if one stagnates you'll get dumped on -- Hello OSWEGO!! :) Hillman???

Overall, I'm thinking the old weathermen over-hyped this storm for us. Strangely, predictions of 2ft became several inches. Having rec'd 6-ish and calling for another 3-6. Pretty whimpy for our blood!

Well it just took me 45 minutes to drive the ten miles between work and home, and there were some serious white out conditions on Rt 7 -- I am just VERY happy to have made it home and doubly happy to have found MichaelJ and my farmer neighbor out plowing with the tractor (yes folks, city boy MJ has been working on the farm here this weekend and seems to really be liking it!)

There is now about 16-18 inches in Central Vermont, the snow is still coming down very hard!! Woo hoo! Too bad tommorrow isn't saturday!!! :p

Okay, well, I may work near Boston, but I grew up out in the sticks of Western Mass, playing on my great-grandparents' former dairy farm, and drove the tractor long before I ever drove a car! :p

My only regret is that I have to telecommute; I can't play hookie and go skiing at Killington ... right down the road ... with all this fresh snow ... aiiieeeee!!!

Seriously, if you're a skier, start thinking about getting to a VT or NH ski area on Friday. Thursday, maybe, but it depends on the roads. Although the snowfall is supposed to taper off after midnight, with the winds and drifts I'm expecting the morning to still be somewhat impassable up here.

Just in case you were wondering, I did walk the 500 yards and did have the escargot with an amusing white wine. It's still snowing. Do I feel a sniffle coming on? Oh no, I just might have to stay home from work. ;)