Mcrillis Tr in winter (Whiteface)?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
I'm thinking of heading up to Whiteface next weekend and would like to descend via the McRillis Tr to a spotted car at Whiteface Intervale. I've been told that it shouldn't be a problem to park at the Flat Mtn Pond TH (where we would come out via McRillis) as some people hike out to the pond in winter, but I'm not sure how easy route finding will be on Mcrillis. There's virtually no mention of it on VFTT. So, is it well blazed? An obvious path through the woods? Any tricky spots to be on the lookout for?

I'll have at least two other experienced winter hikers with me, one of which will have a GPS, so I'm hoping it will be doable.

Thanks for any input you folks can offer :)

It's practically a forest road in the lower parts -- maybe a slight exaggeration -- and I've even skied those parts. Keep on keepin' on southward until the hard right to the west, and you should be fine. (Unless some midnight planter has been sticking striped maple shoots in the trail since the last time I was there. ;) )

There are some tricky places as you ascend the flank of Mt Whiteface - open woods with very few blazes - but I think it will be easier to follow on the descent. Of course, the trail may not be broken out. And the crossing of the Whiteface River can be difficult. Otherwise (or because of these challenges?) it's a great trail!

Note: This applies to McCrillis TRAIL, not McCrillis PATH.

Last edited:
If the river crossing proves daunting, you can keep to the same side and hike out to the road. There is a private home there, but the land wasn't posted when we did it about 7 years ago and you can stay in the woods near the river.

Descending, the sharp right turn off the old route about 1/2 mile above the Flat Mt. Pond Trail was obscure last year. Woods are open there so a compass/GPS course to the latter trail should be easy if you can't find the turn.

McCrillis used to be the easy way up Whiteface and was well-used and easy to find, as compared to BL which had no plowed parking and could be tough up top

Now that the kind WODC plows the Ferncroft lot and McCrillis has been relocated to be much longer, everybody uses BL and with Wilderness rules McCrillis may be getting hard to find

I tried it in March 08, and was not able to follow it up. Got lost about 1-1/2 miles from the trailhead and could not find the trail after lots of backing up. Even bushwhacked for a while, but still gave up... Tough trail to follow in winter down low...