Missing Hiker in Northern Presidentials - Found safe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that reporters use the terms "ice pick" and "metal spikes" because they and most of their readers do not know what "ice axe" and "crampon" mean.

I'm glad this kid was found. I wonder if he tried to drop down into the Great Gulf and found the traveling too tough and decided to head back up to the ridge where he would have more chance of being found or at least travel would be easier?

Here's the latest F&G press release:

LOST TEEN HIKER FOUND SAFE IN WHITE MOUNTAINS

CONCORD, N.H. - At approximately 10:35 this morning, April 28, 2009, a search team on foot found 17-year-old hiker Scott Mason of Halifax, Mass., who had been lost in New Hampshire's White Mountains since Saturday. Mason is reportedly in good condition. His family is in the area awaiting his return to the base of Mt. Washington.

Mason was found on the Sphinx Trail in the Great Gulf Wilderness, headed west back toward the summits of the Presidential Range. The search team will hike with Mason back to the summit of Mt. Washington, where he will then ride a Sno-Cat down the auto road. Because of where Mason was located and conditions on the ground, this is the only prudent exit from the mountain.

Conditions in the White Mountains became increasingly treacherous over the course of the search, because rain and rapid snowmelt made many small streams impassable. Search teams needed to use rope traverses to cross raging waters. Yesterday's search crews were exhausted, and additional personnel were sent out this morning.

The NH Fish and Game Department coordinated the search. Trained staff and volunteers from Mountain Rescue Service, Androscoggin Valley Search and Rescue, Pemigewasset Valley Search and Rescue and the Appalachian Mountain Club participated in the search. A Maine Forest Service helicopter conducted an aerial search on Monday afternoon, and a Vermont National Guard helicopter did an aerial search this morning.

Mason was missing for three days, having left the Appalachian Mountain Club's Pinkham Notch Visitor Center at about 8:30 on Saturday morning, intending to complete a 17-mile hike in one day. Mason was hiking alone. His plans included hiking to the summits of Mount Washington and Mount Madison, then returning to the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center.

No further information is available at this time.

Sounds like his initial thought, if you don't know area, was 'ok' as he was looking at routes back to Pinkham. Not facing East (which can be tough with wind).

However, if you've ever been in the Gulf in winter, or even worse in melt season, it can be really tough. Not a long of traffic. Massive runoff. The Peabody River can be impassable. He may have gone back up...which I could debate may have actually been the right move.

Well, since he was found, I would say it was the right move.

Wow a great ending for this young adventurer and his family! I hope more details come out on how he kept his cool and delt with the situation. Very cool.

As many vets out here know, when someone goes missing in that area, the great Gulf is the most likely canidate,some kind of magnet for distressed hikers, Im glad he's ok good for him, 2 nights out is no picnic.

...and let the commentary begin in the Union Leader comments about cost and "shoulda". :(

Nice to see a young person apparently used his head to survive. I see nothing but a positive here.

Resist, with all your might, reading the UL comments. Basically, anyone who gets off their couch is subject to fine, imprisonment, and forcibly taking your own life in the most disgusting manner imagineable.....

Moreso if you are from Massachusetts.

In the nick of time!

Glad they found him when they did. COnditions on Washington have taken a turn for the worst, thanks to the frontal passage. Wind recently gusted to 79 mph, with a 10 deg drop in the last 20 min alone.

Glad he is safe, very happy for a positive outcome. Sign this kid up for Hut Croo, he's a natural for his age.

'Mason was found on the Sphinx Trail in the Great Gulf Wilderness, headed west back toward the summits of the Presidential Range."

Saved his own butt, I do believe. If he heard helicopters, he had to know they were searching, and if NOT searching for HIM, he would be better off visible than hidden.

He may not get great marks for his initial planning, but he did make the right decision to forego Madison, right decision to get off the ridge and out of the wind to overnight, right decision to go back UP to the ridge ( for visibility and better traveling in daylight) and the right decision entirely to reverse direction and retrace his steps.

I'm sure it was a tough slog for the SAR responders, but I give props to Scott Mason for helping to get his own a-- out of his own trouble. Lessons are learned in that space.

Breeze

Reactions: dug
Quite an experience for the kid!

"He looked a lot older. He looked sad and older," said his mother, Jory, who was trembling with emotion.

Over the next days, high waters and rain gave him trouble, as it did the searchers moving through waist-deep, soft snow. "Each time he is trying to get back to a trail, he's coming back to a river," Acerno said.

Mason, a Boy Scout since age 11, has spent many weekends hiking in the White Mountains and had hiked by himself before, Goldrick said. He said Mason has the top leadership position in the troop and has taught hiking and camping skills.
Mike Mason said he is sure his son will hike again.
"Not alone. We'll let him join the AMC. He'll hike again," he said.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hFCmp_yW4avNsbeZ1pRANXYbXUtQD97RM6P00

I'm sure he learned a lot in the last few days. So glad he kept his cool and survived.

Great post by Breeze. I've made mention on this board before about how dangerous the Peabody River can be. I always drowned my dog in there one June. I can imagine what he ran into. For a "kid", I give him credit for (almost) getting himself out of this. Maybe he bit off more than he could chew, but who hasn't at one time or another.

The latest article does indeed say that he tried to shortcut his way back by going down Six Husbands (!) and was stopped by an impassable water crossing, and then found himself unable to get back up, though eventually he did make it up the Sphinx Trail.

The latest article does indeed say that he tried to shortcut his way back by going down Six Husbands (!) and was stopped by an impassable water crossing, and then found himself unable to get back up, though eventually he did make it up the Sphinx Trail.

For one not familiar w/ the Whites..How steep is the Six Husbands Trail? Any comparisons in the ADK's?

This is not a perfect comparison, but Six Husbands roughly equates to Haystack from Panther Gorge. Throw in a couple of the worst ledges and ladders from Basin, and you are getting close to the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.