Missing Hiker in Northern Presidentials - Found safe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if F&G would make a public statement with (their?) findings about cases like this. I wonder if this is public information?

NH plans to charge him for the rescue:

I couldn't get the link to work for me, but it'll be interesting to see if they can actually do that, considering he's 17. Or did they say they'll be charging the parents?

25K!!!:eek: That should discourage 17 year olds?

Does anyone know if they collect cash or can they work out something with service work? With a young person the service work would be much more valuable.

I'm a Scout leader, and on an official Scout outing I would not let 17 year Eagle Scout hike unsupervised on a new and long mt hike with buddies or not. As a non-Scout activity I wouldn't let them either.

We don't know much more about his abilities and experience in the mountains or this mountain.

Being an Eagle Scout saved his ass (I'd be proud of him and the people who trained him) but that doesn't mean he can climb any old mt he wants too.

He has already learned his lesson

I agree with the principle of charging for rescues for people who are negligent. I was hoping they would stick to the numerous clear cut cases of negligence. I'm not sure if this one fits the bill. He chose an overly ambitious hike for the season and one would only know this from experience. He was young and made some good decisions while he was out there, turning back at high stream crossings, finding shelter. He was hiking to safety when found.

I went for my first hike at 14, a 3 day on the AT in CT. My Friends and I knew that if you followed the white blazes you could make it to Maine. We hiked in jeans without tents, stoves, water treatment, or maps. This was in 78 when parents let kids take some chances. We learned alot on the first trip and went back every year until we were 18 and made it to Moosilauke in NH. We were lucky our training ground was much more forgiving than his. I guess we were negligent with a good outcome.

Maybe they are fining him because this was an expensive rescue instead of focusing on whether this was actually gross negligence

For those who read the political post (not mine!) before it was removed, I do not agree with much in those statements. The NH Legislature's decision to change the terminology to negligence and increase fines accordingly for rescuing people who should have known better was a long, drawn-out, non-partisan process. The fines are not used to pay NH F&G regular salaries, but rather overtime and other expenses incurred in searches and rescues. I think that getting people to think more seriously before undertaking reckless behavior in the backcountry was another motivation for the changes.

My reply above was based on what I perceive as an inconsistency in the manner in which SAR fines have been levied so far (i.e., being told by F&G and the media that some adults who should have known better "did everhthing right").

Last edited:
Am I missing something? I read the article and watched the little video but I don't remember anything official about the amount of the fine. Maybe I didn't read far enough. I do remember one of the reader's post from the Union leader suggesting the amount of $25,000. I've never found that source to overly reputable.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.