Missing Hiker in Northern Presidentials - Found safe

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan207

Reaction score
There is, as far as I still know, a missing 17 year old boy somewhere on the Northern Presidentials. He set out from Pinkham on Saturday, 4/25, between 8and 9 AM to hike Washington as a day hike. For whatever reason he suspectedly pushed on further toward the northern peaks and did not return. I was hiking in this same area and at times only saw one set of actual foot prints aside from ski tracks. I have spoken with NH fish and game and gave them all of the information I had. If anyone else was in this area or on any of the summits and might have seen a boy by this description, your information could be helpful. I am told he was 17 years old, blonde hair, wearing blue or maybe a blue backpack, and was alone. I believe there is currently a search in progress.

Just received this:
Search and Rescue Crews are looking for help from anyone who hiked Tuckerman's Ravine/Great Gulf/Madison or any part of the AT north of MT Washington on April 25th or 26th. The missing hiker is a 17 year old who was hiking alone and goes by the name of Scott. He started Saturday morning April 25 from Pinkham AMC with an intinerary which included Lion's Head, summit of Wash, and the northern AT. He is described as being tall, thin, with blond hair and wears glasses. He was wearing a long-sleeved white shirt and black wind pants. He also had a black parka and a blue pack. He did have snow-shoes and an ice axe. If anyone came across someone matching this description in their travels or have any information that might be helpful, please contact AMC Pinkham at (603) 466-2721 and ask to speak to a Conservation Officer.

A year ago Scott was awarded for his work organizing a food drive, part of his work as an Eagle Scout. Hopefully he's as resourcesful and successful with this effort. Best wishes, Scott and family.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on this. This link is for New Hampshire Fish & Game.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/New..._Q2/search_SMason_missing_MA_teen_042709.html

The latest update (4:30 pm Monday) states that a Maine Forestry Service helicopter is on the way to join the search. I wonder why U.S. National Guard helicopters were not available today?

Scott obviously chose a far too ambitious route in a Northern Presi loop as a day trip at this time of year. But, sure hope that he comes out of this one ok.

We went 14 miles that day, up Ammo, around west side of Washington, over Clay, continued on Gulfside, then down valley way. No tracks were broken on gulfside between Thunderstorm junction and Madison hut. I have to say, it was slow going at times. Put the snowshoes on once around Jefferson. The slush made it quite tiring and most of all the hot sun took a lot more out of me than I thought. Some things just don't add up given the options for escape routes, we left lakes at 12:30 and he must have been ahead of us. 4 hours to get to the top of Washington is plenty of time for someone his age and physical condition and we got to Madison at 4:30. This would have given him plenty of daylight to at least get to Grey Knob. My gut tells me he bailed on the East Side in a desperate attempt to go back to pinkham, but there is just absolutely no way in knowing this... Wish I knew or saw more that day.

The news reported this morning a new lead. Helicopters spotted tracks heading DOWN Six Husbands yesterday, and that is where they will be focusing their efforts today. All I can say is...WOW!

Brian
I think I would have chosen the Sphinx but either way you cut it, down is down. I wonder if it was just too slow going up high, so he figured the woods might hold better snowpack. He's probably stuck at a stream crossing with all of the snowmelt. I hope he comes out okay, I can see the vultures circling overhead as I read a few of the comments at WMUR. Next thing you know it will be illegal for anyone under the age of 18 to do anything!

God bless him. Hopefully the nights were warm enough up there.

thats awesome!
good for him and the rescue crew(s)!
i like how he had "metal spikes" for his shoes!

" He also had snow shoes, an ice pick and metal spikes for his shoes."

From the WMUR article:

"Mike Mason said his son took a thermal blanket before heading up the mountain. He also had snow shoes, an ice pick and metal spikes [emphasis added] for his shoes. His mother said he likely didn't have a tent or a sleeping bag because he only planned to hike for one day."

Metal spikes? Perhaps an advanced, space-age form of crampon? :confused:

(On a more serious note, though, I'm glad that the kid's okay.)

Really happy that he was found alive, as despite the unseasonably warm temperatures the past few days, three nights out with only a space blanket this time of the year in the Northern Presi's is extreme.

Add PVSART to the list of SAR teams that had members on site as of this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.