Moosilauke -- Almost!!! December 6, 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Glencliff Trail and Moosilauke Carriage Road, just about 7.4 or 7.5 miles roundtrip (what we accomplished, just shy of the summit).

Alex and I had planned to practice with our snowshoes today. I thought if we were on a 4K trail, that would give us incentive to go a little farther, to check out the trail for a future peakbaggin attempt. With that in mind, we set off for the Glencliff Trail.

The Glencliff trail had no snow on the lower section, and just enough ice and snow for microspikes on the middle and upper sections. Therefore, our snowshoe practice plan quickly went by the wayside. Instead, since the trail was easy and the day breezeless (below treeline), we set our sights on seeing just how far we could go. Alex sang and told stories the entire way up, she was in a very bright mood and declared every sight she saw "so beautiful!" Today was a far cry from our Willey experience a few weeks ago. This was an easy day. We trekked up to the Moosilauke Carriage Road in close to book time.

On the way, an AMC group from Boston passed us. Also, a very, very nice man named Wayne passed us, then we would pass him, then he would pass us, etc. We had the pleasure of his periodic company on both the ascent and the descent. There were many people on this trail today, so I felt fine continuing on up with Alex.

The Moosilauke Carriage Trail was all torn up from folks barebooting. We could have put on our snowshoes here, but now we were so close we didn't want to practice, we just wanted to get there. We were fine, happily going along until we got to.....the treeline.

We got to treeline, and on went the balaclavas, goggles, facemasks, wind gear, etc. I was pretty sure we would reach the summit -- we had all the right stuff, and every inch of skin was covered. We stepped out of the scrub and into the INCREDIBLE WIND!!!! It was enough to blow Alex off the trail a few times. I grabbed her arm and we kept moving. However - the one thing that's always been hard for me to take care of -- her hands -- her hands immediately became too cold. I asked how she was, and she said she was fine except for her hands. I looked down, and in my making sure her face and head were covered, I had forgotten to put the shells over her gloves and mittens (DUH!!!). However, even with them on, I think these wind chills would have been too much for her. I ducked her behind a cairn, away from the wind, and asked her what she wanted to do. We were very, very close to the summit, but I was concerned that in the 15-20 minutes or so that it would take for us to get there, her fingers could succumb to frostbite. I waited for her answer, preparing to veto her if she voted to continue.

She asked if it would count if we turned back now, and I said no. She then said that she thought she wanted to turn back anyway, her hands hurt and she didn't like the wind. I told her that was fine, that a real hiker knows when to turn back, and that she had made what I thought was the right decision. We stepped away from the cairn, I pulled her toward the scrub, and as soon as we were sheltered I went to work on her hands. I warmed them up, then I told her this had been a great hike. She didn't seem very disappointed not to have gotten to the summit. Actually she seemed very happy in all the snow all the way down. She used the "butt slide" technique at every opportunity, she jumped and pranced and generally had a grand time all the way down the mountain.

We met several people along the trail today -- Wayne, the kind man who kept us company now and again (and who picked up various hats and gloves that I dropped on the Moosialuke Carriage trail -- thanks again, Wayne!!). We also met Greg and his wife Nancy (VFTT members), and toecozy and her kind friend who found one of Alex's snowshoes (which had fallen off my pack as I used the buttslide technique with Alex).

It was a grand day, and I'm glad we had another opportunity to learn that it's no big deal to turn back. We had a great time, and the weather was perfect (below treeline).

I'll post some pictures over the next couple of days.

Last edited:
Hi Trish- we bumped into your AMC group at the common man in Ashland. I knew two of the guys and we ended up eating together. They were very impressed by you and Alex! They said they thought you summitted. Great job; Alex is acquiring excellent discernment! That mile long stretch above treeline could very well have been dicey.

I'm glad you guys made the right decision - some of us much older than Alex aren't always wise enough to turn back when in doubt! Considering she has a 2-5 decade headstart on her 4ks over most people here, there's no rush! :)

Good call by you and Alex, Trish!!

Two pieces of hiking wisdom that I learned from my teachers years ago:

Reaching the summit is optional; returning to your car is not.
The mountain will be there next year; make sure you are.

There's a famous quote by Arthur Ashe that comes to mind:

"Success is a journey, not a destination. The doing is often more important than the outcome."

Thanks, folks!

I was actually glad to have it turn out that way. We had a great time on that mountain, and it was good for Alex to fully understand that it doesn't matter how close you are to the summit (and we were so very close!), it's no big deal to turn around. She really enjoyed this hike, she found the snow great fun and the beauty above treeline spectacular. She looks forward to doing this again -- but I think that for the next few months, all hikes we do will keep us in the trees. It's easy for me to keep her hands warm if it's not windy, so IF we do any more 4Ks in wintery weather, it'll be the likes of Waumbek and such.

FatTuesday, that AMC group was very nice. The leaders were especially sweet -- we kept running into them, and they were gracious and really good natured. We saw two from that group right before we stepped out into the wind, so that's probably why they assumed we made the summit. They didn't see us turn back, and we didn't see them on our descent.

WOW, I am impressed of you guys! That's not a bad thing to turn around. We've turned around many times because of various conditions. Better safe than sorry. That's awesome that your daughter knows when to say when and turn around to live to hike another day. Sounds like you have a very smart and even minded child.

I was on Moosilauke yesterday, and can fully attest to the harshness of those winds. It's amazing how quickly the conditions change as soon as you hit tree line - one moment things are calm and peaceful, and almost without notice it's as if you've entered a different world. Since we approached the mountain via Beaver Brook, we were only exposed to the wind for the last .2 miles of our hike. Wow, was it strong, though! Even I was blown about periodically... I can't imagine what it was like for Alex. She's a tough cookie. :)

I'm really glad to hear that you both had a good hike, and am looking forward to seeing your pictures. Do let me know if you're looking for someone to hike Waumbek with... :D

Hi Liz --We'd love your company on Waumbek! After we have a month or so of snowshoe practice on smaller hikes, if the temps are mild we may try to summit Waumbek in late January or early Feb. We need some time to become snowshoe proficient beforehand, though -- and we look forward to practicing on some of those beautiful lower summits/hikes I've heard so much about.

Klutz -- yes, she had no problems turning back, and I was glad of that. If she had said she wanted to go on, I would have exercised my right to veto. We COULD have made it, but her fingers may have experienced a "negative outcome" as a result....certainly not worth the risk.

Nice meeting you guys on Saturday. It was a great day on the side of the mountain, it's just that last few hundred feet that was frightening! It hit us like a freight train too! Keep up the good work.

Alex - good decision turning back for safety's sake.

Trish - sounds like a good plan sticking to wooded summits for the winter. There should be enough out there to keep you occupied! Have you tried the chemical hand warmers in Alex's mittens? Just start 'em up before you reach the cold summits and they can really help out a lot.

Hey guys, great effort! Probably a good choice. I remember a woman who told us she was only 1 cairn from summiting Marcy one Winter, and she turned back!

A couple of suggestions:

Bring some hand warmers. For me, (age 49), they are useful in almost any weather now.

If you are going to carry something on the outside of your pack, make sure it simply CAN NOT fall off. If I have to, I try to 'beaner' anything that is outside via a sturdy pack strap. You can lose a lot of expensive gear this way, due to wind, branches, butt sliding, etc., etc. And yes, I've 'donated' a few items over the years. I sometimes tell people that if you can not put all your gear in your pack, you might need a bigger pack. :D

Keep up the good work!

Islandsider, it was really nice meeting you and Sandi. Congrats to Sandi for her 25th 4K summit!!

Tom, I dropped the clothing when I while I was shoving a bunch of stuff into one of my pockets. I didn't notice that I dropped a few things during the shoving process. Alex's snowshoe was (I thought) securely fastened...however, I bumped into a couple of trees during my "buttslide" descent and it must have jostled free. I'll do a better job of fastening that on next time. That won't fit into my pack.....and I can't physically stuff anything else in there as it is (I carry a LARGE pack with everything you can think of in it).

The funny thing about those hand warmers -- I had some in my pack! Why I didn't think about actually using them, I've no idea. Alex also had some in her pack, and she didn't think of it either -- however, of course, that's my responsibility and not hers. I certainly won't forget next time. It boggles my mind that I forgot they were there, and didn't use them. Perhaps if she'd been using them, we would have summited...but no worries, as said it was a good opportunity to enforce the "turning-back-is-just-fine" safety attitude.

Last edited:
Yeah...

that is a great picture! Here's a little quote from Brad Washburn who wasn't a lot older than Alex when he said it:

"There's nothing like the game in which you match yourself against Nature. Give her your very best and fight to the end, but when you see that she has got the upper hand, turn, and don't be scared to admit defeat... after all, there's nothing like the feeling of knowing that you've done your best, even though you've lost the struggle."

Brad Washburn at age 16 from Among the Alps with Bradford

KDT

Trish and Alex, I'm so impressed with all the hiking you both do, and the fun you have together. It is just tremendous. Alex is really developing both an appreciation and respect for Mother Nature. Maybe if we all start to leave jelly bean trails (or cookie crumbs) there would be more little Alex's out there. Kudos to you both.:)

Seems like half of the VFTT community was out on Moosilauke over the weekend. Nice to meet you Trish and Alex and glad we could return the lost snow shoe!

I took a picture at the summit to get a shot of Franconia Ridge and there are two of you in this photo who I don't know, but I'm guessing you've posted on either this thread or BigEarl's thread. But thought I'd post it in case you can identify yourselves all bundled up and want a copy of this photo. I saw myself in the edge/background of one of islandside's photos and that was kind of funny so I'm passing along the weirdness of being in a photo you didn't know was taken, by someone you don't know!

The funny thing about those hand warmers -- I had some in my pack! Why I didn't think about actually using them, I've no idea. Alex also had some in her pack, and she didn't think of it either -- however, of course, that's my responsibility and not hers. I certainly won't forget next time. It boggles my mind that I forgot they were there, and didn't use them. Perhaps if she'd been using them, we would have summited...but no worries, as said it was a good opportunity to enforce the "turning-back-is-just-fine" safety attitude.

Hey Trish - as a skier, I have always put the hand warmers in my mittens before I start skiing because my hands get really cold. This is my first season hiking in winter conditions and I've already found that having pre-heated mittens is crucial to keeping my hands warm. The hand-warmers are relatively cheap so I don't mind sticking them in before the start of my hikes - at least I'll have warm mitts ready and waiting in my pack.

Grouseking and KDT -- thanks!!!
Great quote, too!

Jabberwalk, thanks for your nice comment. I think the thing with Alex is that she has a LOT of energy. She is a kid that cannot keep still, ever. She has a lot of outside activites, and most of them involve a lot of movement (dance, karate, and the like). Hiking is one of those activities that meets her intense need to move move move. And of course she likes the views and the experience that nature brings.

Adventurous, yes, I think that's what we need to do. Just keep them in the pockets with the gloves, and when the gloves go on, we throw in the heat packs.

Thanks again everyone for your very kind and supportive comments.

Fine trip report and photos, and good call turning around when you did. Glen Cliff Trail is my favorite in the Whites, of course. The Moose provides plenty of fine days in winter, so no sense in pushing the envelope in marginal conditions. I think Alex is one lucky kid to have a parent providing her with these hiking opportunities at her age.