MSR WhisperLite Tips?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
Greetings,
I just recently purchased my first stove, an MSR WhisperLite. I bought it primarily for emergencies, such as melting snow to stay hydrated in the event that I'm stuck on a mountain for an extended period of time. I also plan to use it to cook soup, hot cocoa, etc. to keep warm on cold days. The instructions sound pretty straight forward, but I've been told that it takes practice to know when the stove has been properly primed, and when to re-open the pump valve. The instruction manual is very vague in stating "wait for the preheat flame to reduce in size". Can anyone recommend any tips
based on your experience?

Also, can anyone recommend any good soups? :)

Thanks,
- Bill

HI Bill,
When you prime it, you are letting a small amount of gas flow into the priming cup, where you light it and allow it to burn and heat up the gas feed tube. Once the feed tube becomes hot enough for the fuel to vaporize, the stove can function at peak performance. (Vaporized fuel burns better, more completely and hotter)

It will take some practice to determine how much fuel you need to have in the primer cup in order to heat the tube up enough. It may take more in Winter than Summer. Normally you only need a small amount - only covering the bottom of the primer cup. You might hear the stove start to hiss slightly as the tube heats up and any remaining fuel is vaporized and comes out.
At this point you can open your valve slowly.

If the stove hasn't been primed enough, you will get yellow flames from the liquid fuel and perhaps a bit of a fireball if you open the valve to quickly. If the stove has been primed enough, you will get a nice blue flame and a low roar.

Don't open the fuel valve too quickly or too much in the beginning, as you don't want to have too much fuel coming in if the tube isn't hot enough to completely vaporize it all.

After 30 seconds or so, the tube should be hot enough to open the valve to a full roar. Over time, you will become accustomed to this (if you practice).

You will also learn how long you can keep your stove off and restart it without repriming it (sometimes up to 2-3 minutes).
Good luck
practice outside and not like me in the kitchen sink!!! :D

Last edited:
Soup

I like Lipton Chicken Noodle. But, I discovered that Aldi, which unfortunately doesn't have any stores in your area, has essentially the same stuff, for a fraction of the price ($0.43 vs. $1.59). What I do is open the envelope at home and throw away most (Author's note: Underlining and color added to provide emphasis only and is not meant to be confused with a link to another web page) of the chunks of seasoning which is mostly salt anyway. Then when I cook it, I use only about 1/3 of the water and end up with soup that is plenty salty enough and flavored and has a ton of noodles.

teejay

Hey Bill,

Sorry, I have no tips to share! I tried the Whisperlite for a couple of seasons and failed miserably!! :( No matter how many times I practiced and got it right on the patio, once I got to a campsite and my hands were cold or I was in a hurry because I was hungry, I just couldn't get it to work consistently. I finally caved and got the Jetboil, which I find more straightforward.

Based on the tips you get, maybe I can bring my old stove out of retirement!

Desi Hiker

A friend of mine, who is new to backpacking stoves, bought a Whisperlite last summer. He was sitting at the kitchen table just about to light it for the first time when I waked in and strongly suggested that he might want to try it out on the picnic table outside. He agreed and proceeded to set the picnic table on fire when he released too much fuel.

Honestly, I don't think the whisperlite is a very good "emergency" stove. It takes practice to figure out, requires maintainance, and the fuel bottle is heavy to have to haul around. An ultra light canister stove would be better, or even an alcohol or esbit stove could work. In use though, the MSR when running may be pretty good in cold temps and should be able to really crank up and melt snow.

Having used one for trips over the past 20 years or so, I think the most important tip is not to over fill the fuel bottle. It is oh so tempting to "fill it up" (there is a fill to line on the bottle, but I think that is a bit high). But I think it runs better with more air at the top, which may be why so many people have trouble getting the stove going at first when they are testing.

I can't remember if the instructions say to pump after you get it going, but that usually helps a lot to give it 5-10 pumps at the beginning, and then periodically as you use it to keep the pressure up.

You need just a bit of fuel to prime, and have to time the fuel burning on the primer cup so that just as it is near going out, you kick on the valve.

michaelb said:
You need just a bit of fuel to prime, and have to time the fuel burning on the primer cup so that just as it is near going out, you kick on the valve.

I obviously have not practiced enough as I always seem to need to relight the darned thing. I have not taken it out on day trips in the winter as it is bulky and heavy when compared to a couple or three esbit solid fuels with the little metal stove. They are very inexpensive but I have not had to use them fortunately and can only vouch for their summer performance. They are, if nothing else, good for starting fire even in rather wet conditions.

I would suggest if you use a canister stove such as the jetboil that you keep the canister warm and use the winter/4 season fuel mixture. Obvious advantage is the self contained nature of the jetboil - stove, fuel and cup all nest as one and take up little room. Consider keeping the canister in an inside pocket of clothes on a cold day to maximize its function.

After you pump it up, just turn it on for a second to fill the primer cup. As soon as you hear the weep weep shut it off, that's enough.

Light up the prime and wait till the primer is almost burnt out before turning it on to start the flame. I've learned to be very patient with it or you'll never get it right. The longer you wait the easier it is to start.

Patience grasshopper. Oh be sure to use that wind screen. Lazy is no excuse for failure.

Rick said:
HI Bill,
When you prime it, you are letting a small amount of gas flow into the priming cup, where you will light it and to burna nd heat up the gas feed tube. Once teh feed tube becomes hot enoughfor the fuel to vaporize, the stove can function at peak performance. (Vaporized fuel burns better, more completely and hotter)

It will take some practice to determine how much fuel you need to have in the primer cup in order to heat the tube up enough. It may take more in Winter than Summer. Normally you only need a small amount - only covering the bottom of the primer cup.
I've moved on to using other types of stoves, but when I used to cary a WL I kept getting the jet clogged, and the sooty priming flame is most to blame. I began to use a small bottle of alcohol with a plastic eyedropper as the priming fuel. Alcohol burns clean and leaves no soot. It worked for me. On any liquid "gasoline" type stove, another tip that works is to occasionally squirt a tiny amount of Gumout into the tank to keep the jet clear and fuel flowing smoothly.

Last edited:
My whisperlite failed one too many times in cold weather, and I switched over to a Primus himalaya varifuel. Similar setup, but works flawlessly everytime. My whisperlite has been hanging in the bag since that fateful november in the Seward range.

Whisper lite

BillK

2 whisperlights in the last 6 years, each with its own issues.
Primer cup filled a little less when its warm, I agree about the hissing that is when its time to light.
I also agree with the fuel bottle 1/2 to no more than 3/4 full.
My experience is 10-20 pumps and really good blue flame, watch the ceiling if its not warm enough big yellow pulsing flames!!.

Lets not talk about the simmer!!

SABERG

No problems with my whisperlite

I've been using a whisperlite for about the past 5 years with no problems. It did take a little bit of getting used to but I have found it to be dependable in all kinds of conditions. I have a repair kit for it, but I have never had to use it. If I don't use it for a while the leather gasket on the plunger drys out and doesn't seal well, so now as I am getting my gear together I just take it apart and soak the plunger in the sink for a few minutes to swell the leather. In the field I have just soaked it in a puddle of spit and accomplished the same thing. Here is a link to the MSR web site with some user hints http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/whisper_shaker.asp.

Practice a little with it - outside.

I have a Whispterlite, Whisperlite International, Dragonfly, Gigapower, and a few Alcohol stoves, all of which have their own uses and times I bring them. On the WL's, it does take some finesse to get used to it, like most pieces of gear, but once you do, it's a great stove, one I'd rely on anywhere. If you're counting on a stove for zub 0°F temps, a cannister stove will be much more finicky.

My recommendation is to get used to operating it in the wind, with gloves on, and even in the rain. It's a good tried-and-true stove, don't give up on it.

Stoves

I don't have a Whisperlite, but I do have an XGK. Any liquid fuel stove takes some time to learn how to use. Expect some mishaps so as already said, practice outside. A small fire extinguisher would not be too out of place. I set my XGK pump on fire in my kitchen, so I know whereof I speak. Learn from other's mistakes.

Suggestions-do not overfill the bottle, as already noted; don't over pressurize it either; easy does it when opening the valve and make sure the pump is properly attached before doing anything.

For really cold weather, the XGK can't be beat-not subtle, won't simmer, but dependable, easy to fix and generates a lot of brute force for melting snow. For an "emergency" stove, or just for making tea on a day hike, I carry a small canister stove. Not ideal for really cold weather, but simple, light and pretty much idiot proof.

I have a whisperlite, and agree that it takes practice to get used to it. It has proven to be reliable. Remember to perform the annual maintenance, you can get the kits at EMS, REI and I think Campmor. IIRC, 5-10 pumps is adequate, you can always add pressure while the stove is operating. Don't forget to depressurize the fuel bottle when finished cooking.

Woody48 said:
If I don't use it for a while the leather gasket on the plunger drys out and doesn't seal well, so now as I am getting my gear together I just take it apart and soak the plunger in the sink for a few minutes to swell the leather. In the field I have just soaked it in a puddle of spit and accomplished the same thing.
A drop of oil on the leather gasket is preferable to water.

I have an MSR model G (predecessor to the XGK) which I bought in late '70s or so. It has never given me any trouble with only a bit of routine maintenence.

Take your stove out in the back yard and boil a pint or two of water. It should only take a small amount of practice to learn how to use it.

BTW, EMS has a butane lighter with pull-out stalk with the burner on the tip. Easy to insert into the stove to light/relight it. http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...folder_id=282574489160712&bmUID=1162485191035.
Put the lighter in your pocket to keep it warm and dry before you use it.

Doug

DougPaul said:
BTW, EMS has a butane lighter with pull-out stalk with the burner on the tip. Easy to insert into the stove to light/relight it. http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_...folder_id=282574489160712&bmUID=1162485191035.
Put the lighter in your pocket to keep it warm and dry before you use it.

Doug

Thanks for the lighter tip Doug. I wasn't aware that such a gadget existed. I tested the stove out on my porch last night for about an hour, and I have to admit that I didn't feel real comfortable lighting the stove with a match or
even a standard lighter. I was actually thinking about running over to REI at lunch to grab one of those magnesium fire-starting tools. I've read that these work real well for lighting stoves, but it's yet to be tested. I was thinking that the generated spark may allow me to keep my hands further away from the primer cup.

Thanks to everyone else for all your great advice. I plan to test the stove again this evening, and then test it again this coming weekend on a hike.

- Bill

Bill, unless it is a toy, I wouldn't waste my money on a mag fire starter - I'd instead buy a couple of 500-ct boxes of strike-anywheres and/or a couple of new BIC lighters. (and if you're like me, and have a propensity for toys that seem to have great ideas behind them, you probably have a drawer full of stuff already) :D

As for the WL, if you have the International model you can use Regular unleaded gas or white gas. RUG is more volatile than white gas. But, as long as you control the amount of fuel in the primer cup, I don't think you have to be too concerned about using matches or a lighter.

Also, for either fuel, RUG or White gas, neither seems to light very well at temps lower than minus 20, due to the reduced fumes/vapor they give off.
I have dropped lit matches into the primer cup only to have them go out when they hit the cold fuel. :)

Rick said:
Bill, unless it is a toy, I wouldn't waste my money on a mag fire starter - I'd instead buy a couple of 500-ct boxes of strike-anywheres and/or a couple of new BIC lighters. (and if you're like me, and have a propensity for toys that seem to have great ideas behind them, you probably have a drawer full of stuff already) :D

Thanks Rick. I think I'll stick to matches and a bic lighter as you suggested.

- Bill

whisperlite salute

From past recollections of firong up whisperlites I would regard them as more likely to cause an emergency than solve one. The number of hints suggests tha tmy usual experieince is not uncommon.

Pump, pump....won't light
pumpumpumpump....towering column of flame, run for life....settles down to a roaring inferno....put on food....fire goes out (repeat until food is warm) :D :D :D