Mt. Adams Route

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueZ

Reaction score
A question:

In winter, to summit mt. adams, which route is safer? :confused:

A. Lowe's Path;

B. Valley way + Gulfside

Thanks. :)

1) Lowe Path
2) Amphibrach/ Spur

The is a small section on Upper Spur that could lead to a small fall on a snow slope. There is also less wind on Upper Spur.

In general, I would not go up from the NE side (upper Airline above Gulfside) as there is some change of slab avalanches in the lee of that mini ridge that runs due north off the summit. In contrast, upper Lowes is generally pretty wind scoured. Also the run along Gulfside to Thunderstorm is going to be directly into the wind most days, which is nasty but safe in queer way in that you have wind at your back when retreating.

Lastly Lowes will take you by Grey Knob, which adds to the safety factor. Spur goes by Crag but it may or may not have anybody around.

If you check the trip reports, a bunch of us did Adams on Friday, Dec 9th via lowes, going by Gray Knob. It was damm windy on the path between GK and Adams 4 and in the valley after Adams 4 and Adams summit. We didn't stay too long at the summit and then on the way back, headed towards Crag Camp via the Spur trail and then back towards GK rather than backtrack. We had really high winds on Lowe's Path but the trail to CC went below tree line quickly which gave us shelter from the wind, however, the snow was deeper because of it.

In the end, the Spur trail seems to be sheltered by the wind more than lowes, but if you get easterly winds, you'll encounter deeper snow there if the trail isn't broken out. At least this was our experience this past weekend..

Jay

Lowes or Spur above treeline are fine in reasonable whether. Lowes is probably the most heavily used. Sometimes it can get icy on some of the steep stretches below Grey Knob and just below Log Cabin, as I recall. Sometimes it turns into a veritable bobsled run.

I have always preferred the Amphibrach-Spur to the Hincks junction at which point I decide whether I want to go to Crag first via the Spur or take the less used Hincks directly to Grey Knob. Chances are you will want to stay at Grey Knob. It doesn't have the front porch view that Crag has but it's only a hundred yards to the Parapet from GK where you are guaranteed a fantastic view of the sunset if weather permits, not to mention Jefferson and Castle ridge. Grey Knob has the advantage in that it's insulated and the caretaker will start a fire if it gets too cold. At Crag you will definitely be colder and stomping your feet more which could be real fine if the organ is unlocked and somebody can play well. I think the caretaker will unlock the organ if somebody knows how to play.

Sometimes the snow can be a bit of an encumbrance if you ascend the Spur from Crag, but it should only take about a half hour to get to tree line any way. Grey Knob is 200 feet higher than Crag so you hit tree line very quickly from GK, like a hundred feet. You will find out how the weather is beyond the trees more easily that way and can hustle back to GK if conditions are too uncertain.

If you get socked in above treeline try to follow Lowes path down or in that general direction, if you're GPSing, as you would want to avoid accidentally getting to close to the edge of King's Ravine by veering to far to the right from the Spur trail going down.

Another option if the weather is too cloudy and or windy which is certainly more than half the time is the Grey Knob trail going south west from GK over to the Israel ridge trail. It is a bit out of the way, but the GK trail basically skirts the treeline sometimes just above and sometimes just below. Depending on the wind this will probably afford some above treeline viewing more safely. Going to the summit of Adams from the Israel Ridge path/GKT junction is a bit more dicey because it is not as well cairned as Lowes or even the Spur above treeline. It's wind profile is generally better than Lowes or Spur, but it can get windy. That's for sure.

When the weather is too rough and I want to venture above treeline a bit, test the waters, so to speak I always take the Grey Knob trail toward Edmond's col. At this point I am not seriously considering doing the summit of Adams. But if conditions change enough as I go(which is a possibility) I have gone on to summit Jefferson. One has to make a very judicious decision to ascend from Edmonds Col however. There are a few memorial crosses up on that plateau above the Col. Plus there are some nasty little traverses getting up to the plateau. If you do get there you'll have a half mile up the cone of Jefferson protected from a west wind until you reach the summit. Plus the added glory that practically everyone thinks Jefferson is the toughest winter peak to summit on average which is probably true.

Last edited:
Lowe's. Hands down. You park safely at Lowe's store, get a nice break at the Log Cabin, do a quick gear change at Grey Knob (indoors), and then follow the largest cairns in the Northern Presis to the summit. Piece of cake ;)

IMHO, not to pick on you, beaner, as I respect your opinion, but I don't agree with you on your suggestion of using the Grey Knob Trail. It is a tough trail to follow in rough weather and low visibility - the cairns are small, and it tends to hold a lot of snow in the vicinity just beyond Perch Path. On Lowe's, you will likely have company and route finding is easier. (Note: FWIW, I've found the Grey Knob trail to be my preferred route to Jefferson in winter in good weather - makes for a nice loop to head over to Adams via Gulfside)

Last edited:
Thanks all ...

Tons of helpful info! :eek:

After carefully reading all the posts, and studying the map, Lowes Path seems the best. Gray Knob is a nice place to retreat in case of ... Have never been there, time to check it out. :)

Thanks a lot, everyone. As always, VFTT is a superb knowlege base for hiking! :)

I guess I'm in the minority here but I think Valley Way to Gulfside is the safest and easiest route. Especially with the wind blowing from the Northwest as it does the majority of the time.

After getting to treeline (when you take Lowes) you still have to summit Adams 4 and to me, by that time, looks higher than it really is. Usually pretty windy on the stretch to Adams 4 summit as well. Kind of a downer to me personally...

Spurr is protected but not easy to navigate for a hiker with little experience. If I recall, its usually not broke down around Crag Camp....most newbies hike from Crag past Gray Knob to Adams 4.

Last edited:
blueZ said:
Tons of helpful info! :eek:

After carefully reading all the posts, and studying the map, Lowes Path seems the best. Gray Knob is a nice place to retreat in case of ... Have never been there, time to check it out. :)

Thanks a lot, everyone. As always, VFTT is a superb knowlege base for hiking! :)

Make sure you take plenty of pictures!

Mr. X said:
Make sure you take plenty of pictures!

Dit it once via Airline trail. The things I can remember are the rock hoppings, strong wind and endless walking back to the trailhead. This gave me the impression that winter to Adams will be tough. Didn't think about Lowes Path that time. :(

IMG_1225_JPG.jpg

Last edited:
I'd have to vote for the Valley Way. If find much less ice on that route vs Lowe's Path, and the section above treeline seems easier on Airline. Both are good, but if I wasn't planning on staying at one of the RMC camps I'd do the Valley Way.

-dave-

If your not staying at one the Cabins......Its a no brainer IMO, Valley Way.....hands down cake walk to tree line and a quick jaunt up the Airline (Adams Cone). 5 hrs up in Winter and back to the car in 3....8 hr day....(for a slow guy like me).

I've taken all the other routes and they just done compare with Valley Way....Heck bag Madison while your at it.....adds and an extra hour or so.

Add Note: Your going to "rock hop" up the cone of Adams regardless of what route you take....

On another note I will say the Lowes, Adams 4 ,Thunderstorm junction route gives you more of an "Expedition" type feel to your hike. The views are cool....It can get very windy though...and due to deep snow w/o snowshoes once, and very cold temps on another occasion, I've turned back twice in the past.

Last edited:
i'd have to disagree with brother metsky on this one! the only problem with valley way is that it's kinda boring. don't get me wrong, "boring" hikin' is kind of an oxymoron for sure, but relative to other routes, it's a little too "safe". go lowe's!! :) :)

The question was "safe" not "exciting". I've consistantly found that Valley Way requires less crampon use and has less exposure. If he was asking a different question I would have answered differently. :)

-dave-

Last edited:
David Metsky said:
The question was "safe" not "exciting". I've consistantly found that Valley Way requires less crampon use and has less exposure. If he was asking a differenent question I would have answered differently. :)

-dave-

Dave, I'll pick Lowes for both "excitement" and safety (take advantage of Gray Knob) ...

:D :D :D

Thanks again, all the info are very helpful!!! :) :)

After read Dave's post, I'm very curious: what is the most exciting route to Adams? :confused: :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I attempted via Airline the first time, really not smart considering my experience. Ended up bailing at the Upper Bruin in high winds.

I made it successfully via Lowes a year later. BlueZ, you'll fly up the frozen sidewalk that is Lowes. The break at Grey Knob was perfect timing.

sapblatt said:
Not a seasoned expert on this - but I thought I heard that the Amphibranch is often not broken out and difficult to follow in the winter - is this true?

I did Amphibrach a few years ago and found it easy to follow from Appalachia to the Monaway, partially because the trail had been broken out to that point but it would have been easy to follow anyways as it climbs along the right side of Cold Brook. Continuing uphill after crossing the brook, the Amphibrach winds through a nice forest and I found it a little challenging to keep on the trail while breaking trail to the Pentadoi, but don't remember any serious routefinding problem.

David Metsky said:
The question was "safe" not "exciting". I've consistantly found that Valley Way requires less crampon use and has less exposure. If he was asking a different question I would have answered differently. :)

Heh.

When I think of Lowes, I want to poke sticks in my eyes due to the boredom it induces in me, at least the portion below Grey Knob.

Dave's comments are right regarding Valley Way. It is well protected. And regarding some of the other posts in the thread, don't confuse Valley Way with Airline.

'Safety' is funny thing as it is a multi-variable thing. Perhaps better to just state the differences between the routes.

Lowes is probably the most heavily travelled of the 3 routes. It has insulated shelter with a caretaker and radio. Relying on this may increase your risk, by the way. It has several steep rocky sections below treeline requiring crampons and possibly slowing you down. You typically get wind at your back on the ascent above treeline which means you must hike into the wind on the descent.

Amphibrach/Spur probably gets the least amount of traffic but is typically broken out shortly after storms. High snow and water crossings could cause delays. Upper Spur is well protected from the wind the highest up above treeline of all three of the routes. There are 1 or 2 spots on Upper Spur where a fall could make you slide for a bit (but not too far).

Valley Way gets a lot of traffic and is protected from wind. There is no shelter on this route. The section along Gulfside will likely be into the wind on the ascent most days. There are sections on the NE side of the summit cone where slab slides can't be ruled out.