Mt Aeolus 8/22/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrey

Reaction score
This is a little trip report on a nice little peak in Vermont. We spent a few days in Ludlow and Bennington, weathering a couple of storms that had the streets gushing with water carrying tires, logs, and assorted debris. Luckily we could watch it all safely from the motel porch.

The Mt Aeolus trail is fast disappearing, as I could tell from this trip compared to one several years ago.

Marge and I started out from Dorset Hill Rd and climbed up on an old jeep road which you could still call a road right up to the bat cave, but getting very eroded. Avoid the first major right turn: it leads steeply up to a dead end and buildings. It rained on and off during the day, but it was warm enough that there was no way we would have put on our raincoats.

This trail hosts a wonderful assortment of wildflowers, and the maidenhair ferns are numerous. Jewelweed was blooming everywhere, and I had only one encounter with the hordes of stinging nettles. Long pants definitely recommended! Below the summit cone is a beautiful open (maple?) grove. This might just be a fun ski trip.

The old quarry along the way is growing in quickly, but the walls are still impressive, like an old temple being swallowed by the jungle (see my pics).

After the bat cave, the path got fainter and fainter and started to diverge into herdpaths through the ferns, up the small cliffs. We were able to stay on course, though returning we lucked into some easier paths down the steep parts. The summit is just a few steps off the trail, and the glass jar is well hidden in a thicket of dead spruce branches.

Many familiar names in the book, most recently Neighbour Dave (5/09) and Bookah and his human companion (9/08).

A few pics here:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/574286644BCvZpv

Where are the logs?

Nice photos. I'd like to see a photo of the deluge with the logs and tires floating down the street ;)

No deluge pics because the camera was in the car across the parking lot which was running with foot-deep water. Normally that would be a fun hike in itself, but the raindrops would have made bruises.

Nice photos, Audrey! Have you ever dug up a Jerusalem artichoke? They have an edible root. They are a plant that diabetics can eat. I had them in the veggie garden for a short time, and they threatened to take over, But, I did like the taste of them sliced up in salad.:)

*old thread alert*

Bringing up this old thread because Aeolus/Owl's Head is on the mind right now (owl's head list), is there a decent herdpath between the two, as I notice there seems to be individual distinct "trails" to each peak, or are the woods somewhat open between the two?

Jay

Mt. Aeolus

*old thread alert*

Bringing up this old thread because Aeolus/Owl's Head is on the mind right now (owl's head list), is there a decent herdpath between the two, as I notice there seems to be individual distinct "trails" to each peak, or are the woods somewhat open between the two?

Jay

I don't know the answer to this, because I haven't been up there for several years.

Thanks bogorchis, might not hike this til spring but it's been on the radar ever since I was trip planning Dorset and I passed those access roads to Owl's Head/Aeolus.... Not a big deal since I usually go prepared for anything but thinking of combining the two and make it worthwhile for the hour it will take me to drive there..

Jay

I might just spot a bike at the Owl's head trail and hike up from Aeolus and bushwack over to Owl's Head and back down and then ride back to Dorset Hill Road...

Jay