Mt Shasta attempt- 7/25/2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darl58

Reaction score
A good friend lives in Redding, CA and has wanted to climb Mt Shasta but didn't have the mountaineering skills to attempt it, so he invited me out to guide him. (1st class ticket was included in the invite):D

I read up a lot on the climb and decided that Avalanche Gulch was very doable with him. It's a lot of steep climbing but nothing too technical.

We drove up on Sat late morning so we could hike part way up and I could check it out and also acclimate some. We stopped at the Mt Shasta Ranger station for our permits and wag bags,...(target included) and they showed us a powerpoint show and told us of the current conditions and easiest route up.

We hiked up only a little past Horse Camp which is at about 7950 ft.

I had him practice climbing in crampons, self arrest and he was doing great and enjoyed it. We hung out for a few hours letting our bodies acclimate at the higher altitude then headed back to Redding for a few hours sleep for our attempt the next day.

Dinner and backpacks ready to go, off to bed at 7:30...up at 12:30am and a 1.5 hr drive to Shasta. Gave me coffee time and my body time to wake up.
We arrived and was ready to start at 2:30AM from Bunny Flats. We hiked in only by moonlight, it was a full moon! :)

Arrived at Horse Camp and filled our water up, bathroom stop and off we went. Soon after Horse Camp we were able to boot/crampon up and hike up the snow fields instead of the scree...we had worn trail runners up to then.

The climb was steady and got steeper as we got to Helen Lake 10,400 ft. We took our time letting our bodies adjust and kept hydrating.

As soon as we arrived at Helen Lake area we could see lots of rockfall, time for helmets and ice axe out!
We continued up Red Banks, steeper and keeping an eye up for any falling rocks. I kept my eye on Mike's progress and he was doing fine and feeling good. ;)

As we got above "The Heart", I noticed some clouds moving our way...not a good sign! We kept moving up and arrived at the Chute to climb up to Misery Hill. At this point the clouds were right above us and it started to thunder. :eek: It wasn't quite 10:00am.

I had to make a decision...and it wasn't too hard! The storm looked nasty and the weather prediction was for it to come in later, but here it was..damn!

The summit is not worth it if you don't make it down to tell about it...so crampons off and windpants on for the glissade of thousands of feet!

A ranger came up just before we started down and reported that severe lightning was on it's way...just reinforced my decision. All of a sudden lots of hikers were coming down making the same choice as we had. My friend Mike had an amazing adventure and learned a lot and can't wait to try his skills out some more!

It is a beautifull Mountain and I look forward to climbing it again maybe next year! It was a great training climb before I leave for Nepal in Oct. It's always a good day when you're on a Mountain and we managed to get to just about 13,000 ft, just had a little left to go. Misery Hill and then the ridge. It will be waiting for me til next time! ;)

Rest of pics: Still need to tag and thin them down....

http://picasaweb.google.com/hikerdd13/MtShastaClimb02?feat=directlink

Darl,

Great read, fantastic pictures. Congrats on being such a great guide, sounds like the two of you had a stellar time. Yes, the mountain will still be there. When you return, you and Mike can have another fun day out.

Loved the glissade photo!

Nice pics. Smart to turn around (duh). If you're out there again from about this point in the summer on, try the Hotlum Wintun route -- very scenic, much less crowded, snow coverage lower down, and much less rockfall.

Way cool Darlene... Tell your friend, I'm a good cyclist and paddler, and hiker too. Please fly me out there every now and then...

Glad you had a fun glissade, I think Shasta had the best butt slide I've ever done in my life..... You two weren't planning on camping out, just a one day ascent?

Jay

Way cool Darlene... Tell your friend, I'm a good cyclist and paddler, and hiker too. Please fly me out there every now and then...

Glad you had a fun glissade, I think Shasta had the best butt slide I've ever done in my life..... You two weren't planning on camping out, just a one day ascent?

Jay

um jay,
you are not as cute as darlene, sorry

Thanks for posting this trip report. Brian and I will be out there in a few weeks with the same goal in mind. I look forward to seeing more of your photos. Good wishes for your Nepal trip.

Nice pics. Smart to turn around (duh). If you're out there again from about this point in the summer on, try the Hotlum Wintun route -- very scenic, much less crowded, snow coverage lower down, and much less rockfall.

I was looking at the Hotlum Wintum Route, but figured with my friend not having much crampon experience wanted to stick with Avalanche rte this time...snow was all the way to Horse Camp, they had late snow this year which made it sweet!! It's melting fast now, freeze level is above Mountain

Jay

No camping out.....If I was going to camp, think I'd just go to Horse Camp and leave from there....running water, 7000 acclimation.
Jay, the glissade was the best ever!!! Have to wait til sun gets on it and softens it up..then it's an unbelievable fast ride!

Thanks for posting this trip report. Brian and I will be out there in a few weeks with the same goal in mind. I look forward to seeing more of your photos. Good wishes for your Nepal trip.

Thanks, It's a wonderfull Mountain, I will definitly go back, probably try a different route next time...You'll love it! :D
I hope the snow doesn't melt too much for you, it was pretty much perfect for us.

Wow, an amazing trip and gorgeous photos! I'm sorry the storm prevented you from getting to the summit, but am glad you had such a great time otherwise. Heck of a glissade!

Thanks for sharing, Shasta was one of my destinations back when I thought I was going to be single longer & travel more. (which would have kept me thinner too:rolleyes:)

Thanks for sharing, Shasta was one of my destinations back when I thought I was going to be single longer & travel more. (which would have kept me thinner too:rolleyes:)

That gives me all the more resaon to stay single I guess......:rolleyes:

Not sure I could give up my Mountains, travelling or use to gain any weight. :eek:

It's an incredible beautifull Mountain...hope you get there!!:)

Thanks for such a great report.

When you made the decision to come down, were other hikers still ascending? That one photo of glissading, it looks like people down below were still coming up.

Last edited:
Thanks for such a great report.

When you made the decision to come down, where other hikers still ascending? That one photo of glissading, it looks like people down below were still coming up.

In the picture we had already descended almost 2000 ft and there were 2 guys still coming up (they weren't sure how far they were going watching the weather), but the others were all glissading and waiting for their friends to come down. The Chute at the top of Red Banks was backed up with climbers trying to get down.

The skies did turn back to blue which made me question my decision...(too late), but then a couple more storm clouds came in and we would of been probably right at the summit at that point and still having to get down across the ridge, so I still stick with my decision.....even though it was hard to stop after ascending all the steepness of the climb...

From talking to the Ranger and climbers coming down, the ones who left Helen Lake early made the summit and most of the others turned back with the storm coming in earlier than expected. I'm sure a few kept going....

Met 2 people next day while hiking to a waterfall that had planned to do Shasta and had opted not to due to storms in forecast, that was the day after we climbed.

The summit just wasn't that important to me....the climb was worth every step though!!!:D
The glissade was even better!! Maybe the others were going up just to get the ride of their lives down! :D:D

Excellent trip report and pictures Darlene! Your adventures are quickly becoming a dreamy bucket list to me! So many times we are seeing beautiful places through your eyes and I am thankful you take us along with all you share here!;)

So glad you got pictures and the experience of being close to mother nature's fury near the top of the mountain without being in it!

Last edited:
Wow Darlene, what a great report! The mega-glissade picture is great. Was anyone skiing?

Nepal awaits you, you lucky...

We only saw one guy skiing and he was the Shasta forestry guy up warning climbers of the impending storm change. I asked him how the skiing was and it was not great, the snow was cupping too much and deep pockets developing...He said two weeks prior it was awesome!

Thanks, can't wait for Oct....:D