Need Partners for Catskill Winter Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattC

Reaction score
Ulster County, NY Avatar: Chapel Pond From Giant M
My priorities are the 3500 Club winter requirements-Slide, Panther, Balsam and Blackhead. After these, I'll want to finish on West Kill at some point. I'm also up for other stuff, including non-Catskill hikes in the area, like the 'Gunks, etc. I usually like to get a pretty early start, and move pretty quick until the destination, then linger a bit, and take it easier on the return if there's time. I can adjust if needed. I have very little winter hiking experience, but I'm in pretty good shape, have decent gear, and I've been hiking the Catskills a great deal the past three months. I've recently done the first four peaks named above. It would probably be best to hike w/ people about my own level (or higher) of experience, but I'm open.

Mostly I'll be only free on weekends, but I do have both X-mas and New Years Eve off, and I'm thinking about hiking one or both of these days. X-mas Eve I'll be in the town of Fleischmanns at night, so I'm leaning towards Balsam, since that's real close by. Slide or Panther would be my other choices since they are also pretty close to Fleischmanns.

I'll probably be hiking with the 3500 Club some, but I want to have other options. The three Club hikes I've been on have all had fine leaders (Hey Dawn! :D ), I've met some good folks, and they've been generally fun. However, just because of the nature of having a large group, Club hikes are often a bit slower than I'm accustomed to. If anyone wants to hike, reply to the post, pm me, post your own plans, look for mine on this board, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Matt

mcorsar said:
My priorities are the 3500 Club winter requirements-Slide, Panther, Balsam and Blackhead. After these, I'll want to finish on West Kill at some point. ...
Matt

Hey, Matt, 1/1/5, I'm leading Windham High Peak. I've done the 4 above already, but I'm also trying to get in Catskill Winters. Going in a group in Winter can be a good idea, especially if you have to break trail. Also, safety in numbers. That being said, I have done 1 Winter 4000' peak, solo, Hunter. One has to balance the risks and rewards.

I'm planning on doing Hunter and SW Hunter on Christmas eve if the weather permits. You are welcome to join as there are only two of us going so far. I'm also working on a winter catskill round so plan to get down there a few times this winter. After the Hunters my priorities are Balsam Cap, Friday, Rocky, and Doubletop as those are what my wife has left for her 35.

I fully intend on getting all four of those peaks this winter. Unfortunately, I'm gonna be out of town on those Holidays...

I may be available the 2nd and 3rd of January, though, and as long as I'm free, I'm up for a hike.

If anyone is interested in a trip that is not over New Years over the weekend of the Winter Gathering ( ADK's and NH hikes those weekends) I would be nterested in hiking some of the winter 3500. Keep me in the loop if plans come up.

I'm also interested in some winter hiking. I've done a few winter ADKS and would be interested in hiking in the Catskills. Keep me informed of your plans.

After the holidays I would be interested in joining some Catskill hikes. I'm not working on a list, so I'm flexible as far as destination. Let me know as your plans develop.

Thanks for all the replies, y'all.
Rik, that Hunter hike (and Doubletop and the others) sounds tempting, but I'm probably gonna go for the ones I named first.
Tom, New Years Day on Windham sounds good too, but again, priorities...
HVDave, I'll probably be up for hiking the whole weekend, so the 2nd sounds good.
Everyone else, I'll post and/or e-mail my plans as they come up, you do the same.
It looks like I'll definitely be out New Year's Eve, weather permitting. Just have to decide what to do, which depends partly on what I do (if anything) on X-mas Eve.
Halite-what's that cliff you're clinging to? Not in the 'Gunks is it? I'm not a climber, I'm just curious.

Matt

I just finished my Catskill 35 and have 15 winter peaks to go.
I plan on finishing the rest this winter, with a combination of day trips and weekend overnighters. I usually hike solo but would be interested in hiking with others this winter.
For the two holiday weekends at best I cann do a day hike on the Sundays but that is dependent on family obligations.
I will try and post the week before my trips. I have most of the bushwacks left and the Devil's path left. I am thinking of doing Devils path as a backpack so if any one wants to join in spotting two cars is probably best.
If I go by myself I will do loops around a couple at a time ( more time and more mileage).
Al

mcorsar said:
Halite-what's that cliff you're clinging to? Not in the 'Gunks is it? I'm not a climber, I'm just curious.

Matt

It's Ragged Mountain in central Connecticut. Not as popular as the Gunks, but some classic traprock climbing with some routes pioneered in the 30's by Fritz Wiessner shortly before his ill-fated attempt on K2.

I to am interested in winter day trips and poss overnights. (winter beginner) I'm pretty sure i'm free on some of those days. i'm looking for experience so i can get ready for the winter gathering. Just got koflachs and msr shoes..just need crampons.. Went on a 10 mile Harriman trip today with ADKLI to shape up..very nice

Michael, the Catskills sure are a lot closer for you than the Adirondacks! You'll save a lot of drivetime.

Pvon

Of course Michael, you would also be able to enjoy the catskills more if you don't limit yourself to the two 4000 fters in the catskills :D

Jay

Jay H said:
Of course Michael, you would also be able to enjoy the catskills more if you don't limit yourself to the two 4000 fters in the catskills :D

Jay

And they are 2 of the easier peaks in the catskills, elevation not withstanding.

I've never understood the 4K obsession.......there are a hundreds of nice mountains in the NE that don't fit that criteria. I guess in the case of the Catskills that is a good thing, and one of the reasons they aren't as crowded as the Whites or the ADK high peaks area.

Speaking of this, anyone up for doing some of the more obscure 3K Catskill mountains? Jay and I are thinking of climbing Van Wyck again, which has a great view but was socked in when we were there last Oct.

I'm off for school vacation next week. Let me know what's going on..as a beginner I'd like to go out with others..I'm checking out the catskill 3500 to see what's being offered...thx

Funky I am up for hiking some of the more "obscure" peaks in the Catskills at any time of the year. I hope to get some of the necessary winter peaks in this year. PM me or post when you get a trip together