Never again!.......?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't honestly think of any mountain or trail that's elicited the "never again" proclamation.

I HAVE said "never again" to hiking in certain conditions (chilly rain, very bitter cold), with certain people (borderline personalities, psychos :eek: :D ), certain peaks on certain days (the aforementioned Monadnock/Saturday/October scenario), but never "never again" to an actual mountain or trail.

I take 'em all for what they are and I like 'em all! :eek: :eek:

Can't think of one that I'll really never do again...

Although, I can think of two I don't really like and wish I could avoid, but can't because they're en route to two great places called Bondcliff and the North/South Tripyramid slides loop.

Lincoln Woods/Wilderness Trail and Livermore Road/Tr., boring and a killer at the end of a long day.

Last edited:
I'm with Stinkyfeet and TDawg -I never say 'never again.' I've disliked a few, but most have character, and different character at different times. Call me crazy, but I don't mind Shorey Shortcut. I minded Cliff Mt., but then did it again the following winter. I continue to swear at Bradley Pond trail, but I've been through it multiple times. Sometimes just hiking with friends is enough to get me back onto a trail I otherwise dislike.

Down the Daniel Webster Trail... First time I did it was after getting slammed on Madison with a cold windy downpour during a traverse :mad:. The hike down the Daniel Webster was painful, slipping and sliding on all those unstable boulders. I swore NEVER AGAIN!!!

I've been back three times :D ...

the mention of the parapet trail got me thinking of a "hike" i swore i would never do again. a hut traverse from lonesome lake to carter notch. it was about halfway across the parapet trail that i questioned my will to continue moving at all. the trip down osgood only increased that feeling. i made it to the notch (in a bit over the 24 hour goal and thankfully to some of my hut co-caretakers home cooking) and promised myself i would never again consider anything like that. just a couple of weeks ago i caught myself thinking about trying it again. this time with more sleep, pre-training, a hydration pack, and a different start time that didn't encompass hiking through a full night (though midnight on south twin was spectacular and scaring the hell out of people camped next to the trail at 3 in the morning has its perks).
maybe this summer.....

bryan

darren said:
The Link - from the Castle trail to the Perch. ...

Vegematic - I really liked the Pine Link trail. It was all the false summits on the Hower Ridge that got to me.

- darren

I guess we're even then, because I'm a pretty big fan of the Link.

-veg

Never again would I go over five peaks in one day.

Don't think I could do it again even if I wanted to! :(

Never said never

In my 57 years of hiking in the Whites I don't remember ever saying or feeling that way. Wait, maybe marching up the Brook Trail on Chocorua in 1949 without water made me feel that way. Course I was only eleven so what did I know? I think that some of the Camp Counselors from Camp Wonalancet may have been Bataan Death March survivors ;)

Last edited:
I've said it a few times in the heat of the moment, but took it back later. I said it on the Tripyramids on a muggy, buggy day in July in 2004. I've said it a couple of times on Mt. Washington. I said it numerous times with great passion during a 15 mile walk on Fire Island in soft calf-killing sand, intense carcinogenic sunshine, and oppressive August humidity.

My wife said it last year during a little hike to Mt. Tremont, accompanied by a local platoon of black flies. Her exact words were "If I ever, EVER, say that I want to go hiking in the White Mountains in July again, shoot me."

My short answer is the west peak of Scar Ridge. Of all the peaks I've climbed on the NEHH, that's the hike I enjoyed the least. Even though I went up the relatively easy way (from the Kanc), I found it to be a really long 'whack through thick vegetation. Having signed in at the canister and visited the peak's true high point, I feel no desire to return there (unless there's ever a day when I'm working on the winter hundred highest).

But, it should be noted that West Scar Peak is an exception, since I usually greatly enjoy my hiking experiences. I've done a fair amount of outings in rain or less than ideal conditions, but that just gives me a reason to return, on days when the outlooks do have incredible views. Even if a mountain has a record of not treating me that well, I wouldn't mind returning to those places just to prove I can overcome Murphy's Law by having a better hike there the next time.

David Metsky said:
The Cornice trail from Edmands Col to Ridge of the Caps. But then I went and did it again! *sigh*, never again.

-dave-

What he said. Except that I haven't done it again. I lernt right the first time.

Cornice Trail...

David Metsky said:
The Cornice trail from Edmands Col to Ridge of the Caps. But then I went and did it again! *sigh*, never again.

-dave-

I second the emotion. I did this route one year on July 1st with a hiking buddy. We were crossing new fallen, heavy, wet snow and it was foggy. We got lost several times. Makes me think of a scene from a story set in the Dark Ages... :)

-- LTH

I’ve said “Never Again” every time I’ve hiked the Garfield Ridge Trail. Tedious, boring, and weirdly slow going. A real drag. I'm sure I'll say “Never Again” the next time, too.

I said that about the Bataan Death March to Owl's Head. I just hated that boring walk. However, I have since been in the area a couple of times, so I guess I said it, but didn't mean it.

there is trail up Belleyre & then heads out over & beyond Haynes I'll most likely never do again. long day 1 partial view bugs, heat & stinging nettles :eek:

I'll never descend Zugspitze again via the Hollental side, up maybe but not down.

I once said it after the link trail going back to rejoin the Caps of Ridge trail heading back down. Very rough going, poorly defined, lots of roots, etc . But then 2 years ago, I did it again. I tend to like different trails or loops on a hike. But I v seldom say it (can't remember any others) because I truly love being in the woods, etc