New Baxter State Park Winter Use Policies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
-"There is no minimum group size."

-" * Those wishing to camp and/or climb solo (alone) must submit completed "Solo Camping and Climbing Form" with the original reservation request, or with the Chimney Pond Ranger if climbing solo but functioning as a member of a pre-existing camping group.

The "Solo Camping and Climbing Form" does not authorize a winter climber to participate in unprotected free solo climbing on technical terrain (routes that would normally be climbed with the use of ropes and means of protection).
"

No way. How about a resounding "'Bout time!"

See all the rants do make a difference!

Was anyone else afraid to open this thread and see what they might find like one of Neil's "Naked hiking Pics" threads?:D

Great news!

I thought there was a better chance of a monkey flying out of my butt than for BSP to change their winter rules.... :eek:

They still have more restrictions than most anywhere else in the US, but at least they are becoming more realistic...

Well, shut my mouth. The revised rules and guidance are so eminently reasonable and useful as to leave me speechless. What am I going to have to snigger at now? (And yes, I'm scurrying right over to the other thread to elide my now obsolete comments on party size.)

Kudos to the BSP staff for this.

I thought there was a better chance of a monkey flying out of my butt than for BSP to change their winter rules.... :eek:
Good thing the latter came first... although I'd watch out from here on out ;)

(that is, any winter overnight use, or any winter above-treeline travel, including day-use)

So the BSP authorities finally agree that a person can make it to treeline and back in a day? Of course, no one could possibly climb Katahdin in a day in winter... :D:p:rolleyes:

Seriously, I remember one AMC trip in the mid 90s where the leaders wouldn't allow us to ski the tote road unless we had a group of four. This seems to be a big step for the Park!

This lines up with some comments by a long term local in Millinocket that the prior adminstration of the park was very conservative on any changes. Alledgedly, the former manual reservation system was a vestige of a prior management employee who had no use for computers. At some point this person retired and slowly the new system came into being. The new park director had indicated that he would take awhile and learn the operation of the park before he made any changes, I think the new rules may be the results of his and his new staffs observations. Granted, the slow and steady approach may irk some, but based on Baxters wish that it remain a wilderness "forever" it should be expected that changes are going to happen slowly so they get it right. Lets hope they have a nice safe winter season in the park so that the new rules remain in place.

I do note that they responded very quickly to revise the rules to ban paragliders. ;)

Are tent sites actually free in winter, I don't see a charge?