NH Moose Hunting Season Oct 20-28: Should I worry?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I was considering some hiking in northern New Hampshire (Pittsburg and up towards the Canadian border) in the third week of October, possibly overlapping with Moose season. The web site (here) says there will be 155 permits issued for that region and most hunters bag their Moose in the first 3 days - which is that weekend.

Will I be at risk?

Thanks.

I bow hunt deer and .22 and shotgun for other small game.
If it was bow hunting, I'd suggest no worries.
If it's rifle, I'd avoid opening weekend, which pains me to say, but why position yourself down-range ?

Almost all moose hunters will be within a mile or less of a road or ATV trail, most of them much less. That's because hauling a moose out of the woods is a task that requires the power of a front end loader, logging equipment, ATV, winch, or draft horse. (All of these are used to haul out moose.) The very rarest of exceptions (like me, if I ever get drawn in the NH permit lottery) will do it by canoe or other watercraft -- hoping to be far from the madding crowd, but still probably nowhere near the sort of trails favored by VFTTers.

It's a good idea to wear some blaze orange if you're in the woods during any hunting season. It alerts a hunter to your presence, so that a shot is not inadvertently sent your way while the hunter is aiming at an animal. Competent and safe hunters shoot only at what they have first positively identified as the animal they want to shoot and with a safe backstop. Negligent hunters shoot in other circumstances.

sardog1 said:
...probably nowhere near the sort of trails favored by VFTTers.
Who said anything about trails?

Another important question would be when is Canadian moose hunting season? If you are anywhere near those hunting blinds along the swath, you'd better be wearing Kevlar!

sardog1 said:
Almost all moose hunters will be within a mile or less of a road or ATV trail, most of them much less. That's because hauling a moose out of the woods is a task that requires the power of a front end loader, logging equipment, ATV, winch, or draft horse. (All of these are used to haul out moose.) The very rarest of exceptions (like me, if I ever get drawn in the NH permit lottery) will do it by canoe or other watercraft -- hoping to be far from the madding crowd, but still probably nowhere near the sort of trails favored by VFTTers.

It's a good idea to wear some blaze orange if you're in the woods during any hunting season. It alerts a hunter to your presence, so that a shot is not inadvertently sent your way while the hunter is aiming at an animal. Competent and safe hunters shoot only at what they have first positively identified as the animal they want to shoot and with a safe backstop. Negligent hunters shoot in other circumstances.[/QUOTTE]

Ayuh. Even more so than with deer hunters, moose hunting happens almost exclusively close to an atv trail, etc. Of course, there're exceptions. I always wear orange until the end of the year.

happy trails :)

The only times I have ever seen hikers anywhere near a hiking trail was a couple of years ago on the Gale River Road right near the left turn to the Garfield Trail. Where the road turned left they were going into the woods to the right. Hunters are not going far from a road and generally avoid popular hiking areas. That being said - I would still be incredibly careful and vigilant.

sapblatt said:
The only times I have ever seen hikers anywhere near a hiking trail was a couple of years ago on the Gale River Road right near the left turn to the Garfield Trail.

Wow. I see hikers near hiking trails all the time. You must go at 1:00 in the morning or something! ;)

Thanks for the laugh!
Marty

FYI:
New Hampshire
Maine
Quebec

Moose
NH: 10/20 - 10/28
ME: Season ends Oct 14th
Quebec (Zec Louis-Gosford)): 10/13- 10/21
Quebec(Zones 4,6): 9/29 - 10/7

Deer
NH: Deer season starts in November
ME: Deer season starts Oct. 29th
Quebec (Zec Louis-Gosford)): not listed
Quebec(zone 4): 9/23 - 10/13
Quebec(zone 6): 9/30 - 10/20

And yes, we're planning on bushwhacking.

If you're bushwhacking, make noise and avoid the urge to approach unusual sounds like moans, grunts, bellows, etc. Standard procedure for moose hunting is to use various calls. forestgnome is probably the only one here that's qualified to distinguish the real from the artificial. Last thing you want to do that week is stalk a moose call.

A party of two or more, wearing some blaze orange (I'd recommend a hat and vest) is very unlikely to be mistaken for a moose, even while 'whackin'. OTOH, a single guy skulking around taking fabulous moose pictures, trying to blend in with the surroundings, is at some risk. But he knows that already -- he doesn't need me to tell his gnomish self that.

sardog1 said:
If you're bushwhacking, make noise and avoid the urge to approach unusual sounds like moans, grunts, bellows, etc. Standard procedure for moose hunting is to use various calls. forestgnome is probably the only one here that's qualified to distinguish the real from the artificial. Last thing you want to do that week is stalk a moose call.

A party of two or more, wearing some blaze orange (I'd recommend a hat and vest) is very unlikely to be mistaken for a moose, even while 'whackin'. OTOH, a single guy skulking around taking fabulous moose pictures, trying to blend in with the surroundings, is at some risk. But he knows that already -- he doesn't need me to tell his gnomish self that.

LOL! ...orange from head to ankle...hat, shirt, pack is covered with a vest, gloves and gators. Yes, those artificial calls only approximate a moose call.

Last weekend a couple was a bit disturbed watching me prepare for hiking when they saw my orange. They didn't think hunting was allowed on the Champney Falls Trail, and they didn't know hunting was allowed on Sunday. I've gotten used to the "look". I went over and told them that I wasn't a hunter, and that hunting was allowed on Sunday, and they probably would never see any hunters on that trail.

forestgnome said:
Last weekend a couple was a bit disturbed watching me prepare for hiking when they saw my orange. They didn't think hunting was allowed on the Champney Falls Trail, and they didn't know hunting was allowed on Sunday. I've gotten used to the "look". I went over and told them that I wasn't a hunter, and that hunting was allowed on Sunday, and they probably would never see any hunters on that trail.

HA! You should have walked over and asked "Did ya see dat wascally wabbit!?" :D ;)

One thing I might add to this discussion....you could also add a small bell to your gear. One big enough to be heard for at least 25-50 yards. You would educe your wildlife sightings, but last time I checked moose don't wear bells. :cool:

Brian ;)