NOVA episode on Arctic Dinosaurs with music by Ray of VFTT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

On October 7 or 8, NOVA will be debuting an episode on Arctic Dinosaurs. So why is this in VFTT? Because the music for this was done by the late, great Ray Loring (Ray of VFTT). Here is a link for the program: Nova - Arctic Dinosaurs . There is also a link for program credits at the bottom of the page, showing Ray's name in a couple of places.

NOVA, as you may know, is a PBS program. The debut in the Boston area is on October 7 at 8 pm on WGBH, channel 2. You can check for local listings.

Ray was a very accomplished musician and professor of music at Gordon College. His accomplishments include much of the music for NOVA episodes over the years. This was Ray's last work, completed on September 5, the day before he died hiking on Peak Above the Nubble in New Hampshire.

I heard that NOVA might be doing a tribute to Ray after the show, but have not been able to confirm that.

Marty

Last edited:
This was an enjoyable hour, especially since I was not up on the latest discoveries about dinosaurs.

As a good background score should, Ray's music kept a low profile. I think he did an excellent job building an atmosphere of subdued tension, in keeping with the show's structure as a mystery ("what were all those dinosaurs doing in Antarctica and the Arctic?").

The credits at the end include a tribute: "In Loving Memory, Ray Loring, 1948-2008."

It is on again tonight on Ch. 44, the other PBS affiliate in Boston. It will probably be on at various times on various stations in coming days.

I watched it as well (KCET I think) - interesting show. I also found the correlation between the type of edges on leaves and temperature had fascinating implications.

Thanks for the notice about the show. Very nce. Though I didn't know Ray .
The show was even more inspirational for all that he contributed to it.

Jason Berard said:
I put this on the DVR and I am looking forward to watching this tonight after the kiddos are in bed.

Doug Pal said:
You don't have to wait--its G-rated... .

Perhaps Jason typically records other types of programs on the DVR that are not suitable for the kiddos ;) :p

I have also recorded the NOVA episode on my DVR, and am looking forward to watching it soon :cool:

Marty

I thought the episode was fairly interesting, kind of slow paced in the beginning. I didn't get to watch all of it because my dad called half way in..

Jay

marty said:
Perhaps Jason typically records other types of programs on the DVR that are not suitable for the kiddos ;) :p

I have also recorded the NOVA episode on my DVR, and am looking forward to watching it soon :cool:

Marty

hey now! my secret's out! :eek: :D

I really liked the show and the score. I think some of the music Sapblatt lent to Ray may have influenced some of the more dramatic sections! :cool:

I made sure to watch it and enjoyed knowing that Ray was the music composer. I noted that I was intent on listening to the music, rather than just 'watching' the program -- a bit different TV experience.

He was obviously a very talented guy. Scores like this are his legacy for us to enjoy. Thank you for posting so we could all tune in. The local segment started at 11:30pm - and I'm not sure I made it all the way though it without nodding off. I know I missed the end credits. :(