Ohio Highpoint, 8/9/10 -- End of Cross Country Highpointing Spree (33 States)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Copied from http://www.trishalexsage.com
Accompanying pictures can be found there.

Ohio -- the final state of our two month highpointing road trip.

Not a difficult peak by any stretch of the imagination, since you can drive right to the following sign.

There's a register by the parking area...

...and a short path which leads to this...

and this...

And...we're done!

We still have to bag Vermont before the snow starts to fly, but that's an easy daytrip from New Hampshire. Next year, we'll tackle Maine and New York. Apart from those three states, we've now highpointed everything east of Colorado.

Number of states highpointed on this trip: 29.
Number of states highpointed before June 2010: 4
Grand total of states highpointed as of August 2010: 33

After Vermont, it'll be 34. After next year, it'll be 36.

After that, who knows, we'll see what happens as the girls grow. Maybe our total will stay at 36, maybe it won't. Whatever floats the girls' boats is fine by me.

Throughout the summer, I purposefully kept my posts short and sweet, usually with only basic trail info and pictures, as I did not feel it appropriate to fill this highpointing blog with long paragraphs of prose. For the sake of my kids, however, I will soon start to write of our many adventures so that, when they're older, they'll have a solid reminder of their accomplishments. Hopefully I'll be able to begin working on that within a month, after I finish taking care of some immediately pressing matters.

For now, I'll say the following:

If you ever get the chance to spend an extended period of travel time with your loved one(s), do it. Get in your car, spend many weeks driving on tiny back roads, camp out everywhere, get dusty and dirty, eat gas station food and farmers' market produce, reach peaks, see a rattlesnake or two, walk through herds of wild ponies, dodge tornadoes, escape lighting in the middle of the night, let an elk eat your campfire ashes, step lightly over horned toads, drive a tiny car through bison pastures, and swim in oil-infested waters. Well, okay, maybe not that last one. Tar doesn't fully wash out of swimsuits.

I am fortunate to have two kids that are best friends. Not once during our entire trip did they complain about the long hours in the car. They read to each other, played games of pretend, sung aloud with the music on the radio, and laughed (a lot). I know I'm their mom and all, but I have to say that both my girls rock.

I am also fortunate to have Hugh as the father of my children. When I proposed the idea of taking the kids all over the country for eight weeks, sleeping in tents at remote campgrounds and hiking in places we'd never previously visited, Hugh didn't bat an eye. He felt as I did, that this was a great opportunity for them, and for me. We worked together so that the timing of our highpointing whereabouts coincided with a few of his business trip locales. In this manner, the girls were able to spend time with their father every couple of weeks while I got a nice break from the road. I must say that I am very grateful to him for the trust he has in me when it comes to our kids. He has always had complete faith in my judgment, and I appreciate that more than I can properly express.

Next stop: Vermont (but not for a month or so).

It has been fun following your HP route, Trish. Reminds me of the HP trip that my brother and I took with our mom during her early Alzheimer's days in May 2001. The busiest airport in the U.S. (Atlanta) was our rendevous point, where we rented a car for a nine-day, 2000+ mile circuit of the 12 southeastern HPs, along with all of the SE land-based state tri-point monuments en route. Made for some long days, but given all the drive ups, our mom got up all of them except for Rogers in Virginia. A highlight was meeting HP Guru Jakk Longacre at his home near Taum Sauk in Missouri not long before he passed away. There is no way that I ever would have visited this part of the country, other than airports and some cities for meetings, without the HPs and TPs as the main attraction.

Good luck with Mansfield, and the other two next year (Katahdin? Marcy?).

. . . Throughout the summer, I purposefully kept my posts short and sweet . . . For the sake of my kids, however, I will soon start to write of our many adventures so that, when they're older, they'll have a solid reminder of their accomplishments . . . I am fortunate to have two kids that are best friends. Not once during our entire trip did they complain about the long hours in the car . . . I know I'm their mom and all, but I have to say that both my girls rock.

I am also fortunate to have Hugh as the father of my children. . . He has always had complete faith in my judgment, and I appreciate that more than I can properly express.
Trish . . . what a touching and heartfelt narrative you just posted!
I just excerpted (above) what I felt were some of the more poignant passages.

Not only do your 2 girls rock, but so do you and Hugh!

Very well done!

I always looked forward to reading about your "highpoint" adventures.

You will without a doubt have very fond memories of the wonderful adventure.

Ever onward!:)

Continued awesomeness to the max.

I thought of you all when I led my first group of youngsters on a hike this week, teens. There really is so much satisfaction in seeing them offering a hand to each other on the steep areas, asking how each other are doing, laughing together, and just having the cool, un-laden, intelligent conversations that kids have.

Kudos on your wonderful journey!

It has been fun following your HP route, Trish. Reminds me of the HP trip that my brother and I took with our mom during her early Alzheimer's days in May 2001.....A highlight was meeting HP Guru Jakk Longacre at his home near Taum Sauk in Missouri not long before he passed away.
Good luck with Mansfield, and the other two next year (Katahdin? Marcy?).

Thanks, Dr. D. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip with your brother and mom. :) I'm jealous regarding Longacre. Thanks for the well-wishes for Marcy and Katahdin. Alex could have done both this year, but Sage wasn't ready. I think by next year, she will be. If she's not, then we'll wait until she is, or Alex and I will go it alone if Sage decides she's finished with the whole highpointing thing. As of right now, however, both girls want to tackle those two summits next summer.

1HappyHiker and Maddy, thank you!

I thought of you all when I led my first group of youngsters on a hike this week, teens. There really is so much satisfaction in seeing them offering a hand to each other on the steep areas, asking how each other are doing, laughing together, and just having the cool, un-laden, intelligent conversations that kids have.

Unstrung, what a wonderful experience! Will you be leading teens up the trails on a regular basis? I think that's one of the best things an adult hiker can do for the community and for the world at large -- get those kids outside! Kudos to you.

Congratulations. It sounds like you've had a wonderful trip.

If you want company for Mansfield, shoot us a note when you're intending it.

Three thumbs up for traveling & hiking with kids ...

When you said you three were going to do some highpointing, you weren't kidding. Wow, what an amazing adventure that the girls and you will never forget!
So how many miles did you put on the car?

Chugach001 -- thank you!

If you want company for Mansfield, shoot us a note when you're intending it.

Will do. We have a couple of dates with some White Mountains in the near future, then we'll head over to Vermont in late September. We'd love to see you and Isidora again.

So how many miles did you put on the car?

Around 20,000. :)

What a journey!!! Thanks for taking us along. Can't express well enough how awesome I think the whole adventure is and the girls have had a very unique education of sorts that wil be with them forever. Great job!!!

happy trails :)

Wow! How amazing. I've been away from the site for a while and just stumbled across your adventure as I was doing a little homework for my and Magpie's trip up Mansfield tomorrow. We just got back from a three day trip to the highpoints of PA, MD, and WV plus other attractions.

Way to go for giving your girls such a wonderful adventure!!!

Forestgnome, Audrey and DoubleBow -- thanks for the nice words!

DB, we haven't done Mansfield yet. We're planning on doing that in a few weeks, before the kiddie attractions at the base close for the season. Hope you have a great time.

Wicked cool roadtrip!

Way cool, Trish! You, Hugh, and your girls have created some fantastic memories that will last a lifetime. Your trip sounds so awesome in so many ways far beyond the number of high peaks you visited. Way to go!

You and the girls are going to remember this forever Trish. Loved following the journey on FB. Can't wait to see what's next in the journey...

Welcome back

I am sure your own home and bed were very welcome when you got home.Wow 20,000 miles.I sure can appreciate all that driving and i am sure you enjoyed it,maybe not the storms.:D
Thanks for the ride and keeping us on the edge of our seats as we enjoyed your adventure with you.We enjoyed all the comments and the pictures so much.I hope we meet on the trail again and share storys as i am sure we will.

Congratulations on a successful trip and thank you for the reports. What an adventure and its remarkable that you could make it so positive for young children.

I don't normally read trip reports except for research and then I get roped into them and don't stop ... one of your's caught my attention and I looked for more. It was Nebraska or North Dakota maybe and I asked myself, "What the heck is someone from Views doing here?" ... particularly poignant because my son and I passed through these states following the Lewis and Clark Trail along the Missouri River.

I couldn't help think on our trip that a road trip like this could offer an excellent opportunity for home schooling, there is so much educational about the geology, geography, history and natural history practically around every turn. We joked about the ubiquitous road sign: Historic Marker 1/2 Mile.

Not to get personal but, how much weight did you gain? I found despite all our activities, between all the sitting and some awful road food that we did put on a few pounds.

Way cool, Trish! You, Hugh, and your girls have created some fantastic memories that will last a lifetime.

Thanks, Roxi. Though Hugh was not with us during the actual highpointing, his cooperation certainly helped make this trip happen. We have always, without exception, found ourselves in 100% agreement when it comes to the girls. We make a good parenting team.

You and the girls are going to remember this forever Trish. Loved following the journey on FB. Can't wait to see what's next in the journey...

Thanks, Mark. I've appreciated your supportive comments!

We enjoyed all the comments and the pictures so much.I hope we meet on the trail again and share storys as i am sure we will.

Thanks, TrailwrightBratt. I hope to see your pictures someday. Thanks for all your work on the trails (especially the one leading up to Bald Mountain).

I couldn't help think on our trip that a road trip like this could offer an excellent opportunity for home schooling, there is so much educational about the geology, geography, history and natural history practically around every turn. We joked about the ubiquitous road sign: Historic Marker 1/2 Mile.

Not to get personal but, how much weight did you gain? I found despite all our activities, between all the sitting and some awful road food that we did put on a few pounds.

Stan, you're right about the educational potential of such a trip. However, this summer, I felt the girls and I needed a break. We had been working extremely hard during the previous months, and each one of us needed to blow off some steam. Therefore, this trip was about adventure, feeling the wind in our hair, relaxing in various natural settings, etc. I did point out a few things here and there, but I didn't do anything formal with them. Believe it or not, this trip was our way of running wild and free, of de-stressing.

As to the weight gain -- I actually lost 7 pounds! I'm someone who eats out of habit, and since I wasn't in my usual environment, I guess I relied more on natural hunger cues than I usually do (the fridge wasn't there to open and gaze into). The girls lost a little bit of weight too (at least, they look like they did). They probably just grew and stretched out a bit.