Old Speck for #67!!! 10/21/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray

Reaction score
Last Sunday was one of my hiking milestones. It was to be my 67th 4000 footer. Marty offered to drive. The three of us, myself, Marty and Ridgewalker, left at 6am for the long haul to Grafton Notch. I had never been there before. What a fantastic place! We hit the trail at 9:15 under a cloudless sky and a fair amount of gusty wind. It promised to be a beautiful hike that day and that promise was more than fulfilled!

Feeling adventurous we decided to take the Eyebrow Trail and eventually hook up with the AT for the final summit ascent. This is a challenging trail. It was also fairly wet and slippery from fallen leaves. The cable assist which had been installed in the particularly steep sections was most helpful as were the metal rungs which braced our footing when ascending the slippery granite slabs along the way. At one point we had to literally traverse a small waterfall. Good thing that the water wasn't running too high that day but we all received a few chilly sprinkles. Our decision to hike the Eyebrow proved to be a great one: the views of Grafton Notch and the surrounding mountains were fantastic producing a flurry of photos.

We soon linked up with the AT which sported several fine overlooks of it's own. By this time we more or less on ridge trail but still below tree line which made for easier hiking. There were several ups and downs ("PUDS") before the trail began to ascend in earnest under plenty of slippery boulders and roots. A spur path leads to the actual summit.

By this time the winds had somewhat diminished. It was warm and sunny at the summit with fantastic views. More photos were taken including including the welcoming committee of Grey Jays freely alighting on our open hands as we offered them some tasty morsels of gorp. This was my #67 and I received plenty of hugs and congrats from my companions. It couldn't have been a more beautiful day and moment! Marty and I braved the winds and ascended the observation tower at the summit and were rewarded with more awesome views, especially the broad view of Mahoosuc Notch. We carefully descended and soon began our trek back down to the trailhead.

This time we were able to experience that section of the AT which we had missed. It's a lovely part of the trail and much of it follows along a broad stream with many pools and waterfalls and lots of photo-ops. We reached the nicely paved parking lot at 3:15 pm and by then it was as warm as a July day. As a special postscript to this memorable day I saw my first eagle. Marty spotted it gently gliding above us as we were driving out of the notch. It was flying low enough to see the pure white feathered head, orange beak and magnificent dark, wide wingspan. Unfortunately my camera was not quickly accessible but I truly believe that the image will linger in my mind forever.

To top off the day we supped well at the Sunday River Brewing Co. in Bethel enjoying some great burgers and especially outstanding brews. I was honored to have experienced this day with my two closest hiking companions. Marty, without your guidance and support I would not have made it to the 67 this year. You are truly an awesome friend! Ridgewalker, savvy dude, it was an honor to have you join me in this hike as you did with my 48th. Another awesome friend. I am indeed fortunate to know you both!

See pics at: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561159081XDBOoK

Ray

Congrats, Ray! I finished my 67 on Old Speck, as well, and it was a memorable trip. Thanks for sharing your achievement with us!

Way to go Ray. Those were some nice pics. Growing up in VT, I haven't ventured into Maine yet, as there is so much hiking nearby in NH/VT, but I plan on changing that soon, and your pics have given me a taste of whats in store for me. I can't wait! Thanks.

Ray - it was a fabulous way to finish the big list. What a great hike. Your photos definitely were a great reminder of how great it truly was!

I look forward to many, many more hikes with you in the future :D

Your friend,
Marty

Ray, great job on the 67, and an excellent choice of a "finishing mountain." Looks like you had fine company, too!

Now I'm bummed, because I was really close to heading up to solo Speck on Sunday. Looks like I might not have been solo after all. It's such a great mountain, I'm happy you had such a wonderful hike.

Marty, you make a specialty of helping people finish their lists, don't you! :D

Mad Townie - It would have been awesome if we ran into you on Speck. There were more people on the trail than we expected.

Mad Townie and Mike - yeah, I definitely like joining others finishing their lists. Wish I could do it on all my hikes. Imagine all the positive energy that I would absorb ;) :cool:

Marty

Ray-

Congratulations old friend! What a treat (and an honor ;) ) to be a
witness to your accomplishments. Your pictures are just smashing,
I cannot get over the 360 degree views we had. I will honored to be
part of the delegation to the awards dinner next year, you've earned it
sir!

Marty- Always (and I mean it) a pleasure to hike with you. The spotlight
is equally deserving of your willingness to help others finish their lists. I've
gained a lot of insight and wisdom from your hiking experiences.

Congratulations! No. 67 is a special feeling - recent enough in my case for me to remember vividly. I look forward to shaking your hand at the FTFC evening in April.

Both sets of pix remind me that Old Speck is near the top of my redo list, as I climbed those iron rungs on a windy, misting, viewless day. I could tell I was missing something good.

Congratulations, Ray! I hope to follow in your footsteps next year. Awesome accomplishment! :)

Ray, Congratulations! You should write some music for the occassion.

Look forward to hiking with you soon.

Congrats Ray for your # 67 on Old Speck. I remember one great hike
with my two kids last August on Old Speck, and the blueberries was
so good.*Nice to meet you on West Peak of the Bigelow last September.

Rejean.