Phoenix AZ hiking -- Suggestions?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubba

Reaction score
Going next week - never been and wondering if there are decent hikes that I should put on the list. Not necessarily out for strenuous cause I don't think I'll have the time, but rather places to catch the flavor of southwestern hiking. Thanks in advance... fun to be here online about hiking (for a [long] change)!! Any special thoughts about hiking attire that I wouldn't know or think about?

bubba, I went there app 2 years and and my son went there 2 weeks ago. My sister (his aunt) works with schools there and took us. I'll ask her. There are some hills there in the middle of town that many people hike. Very weird, you park on a busy street and the trails are almost right behind some houses. No vegetation so you see many people hiking up the hillside, almost like stairs cut into the mtn...if you can and I know time is an issue, try to drive to Sedona a few hours away and see the "red rocks"...go on a pink jeep tour. I'm sure others here will clarify what I was trying to say. "Superstition Rock" sounds familiar but not to sure if that was in Phoenix or outside it. I seem to always just use my regular hiking books, but others were wearing trail runners...have fun..

Sedona

I second the drive to Sedona. You won't regret it. There are many, many "flavor of the west" hikes there that are not strenuous. I recall Vultee Arch, Devil's Bridge, Boyton Canyon- I think that one is a vortex, and West Fork. There was also one that brought you to the Seven Sacred Pools (water can always be found in at least two of the pools) and Devil's Kitchen (a huge sink hole). The trailhead for that is near Jordan Road or Soldiers Pass. I lent out our trail guide to a friend whose daughter was checking out colleges out there or I could be more specific with trails. We've been 3-4 times. Love it. Have fun!

Camelback, in Scottsdale near the Phoenix line, is close to "downtown" yet offers great views and a good little work-out, since it follows an open sandstone ridge. Its location makes it popular, but it's likely to be convenient for you. You'll get the idea from this link. To do it end-to-end, you'll need two cars or a cab. An up-and-back from near the Phoenician Resort is a good alternative.

Check out the White Tank Mountains, northwest of the city. http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/white_tank/

Beautiful desert mountains. Varied terrain and vegetation.

Got in a very nice afternoon hike there while attending a conference in Litchfield Park back in 2002. I think we hiked Ford Canyon trail. Saw a dead tarantula along the trail, as well as a live coyote. :) It was Thanksgiving week, so the weather was perfect (70s - low 80s). I imagine it's already starting to get pretty hot out there this time of year. But it's a dry heat... :p

Regarding attire, I'm not an experienced southwest hiker, but the one caution I would give is to respect the sun, not just the heat, but sunburn, etc. And all kidding aside, it is very dry out there, so be sure to drink lots of fluids.

Last edited:
I lived in the Valley for 3 years. I second Squaw, and if you do have the time, head for Sedona.
This time of year it is hot in the Valley. Be sure to hike in the morning before the furnace really heats it up. Sedona is more temperate, and the Red Rocks are stunning.
Wear sunscreen and a hat. Wear or carry a light colored long sleeve shirt.
Dark colors absorb the heat too much.
Carry more water than you will think you need. You will need it, I promise!
South Mtn Park has some nice trails too, but when I lived there, it was more focused on horseback riding.
Visit the Botanical Garden to learn about the different vegetation that thrives there.
Enjoy your trip.
Sandy

Camelback, in Scottsdale near the Phoenix line, is close to "downtown" yet offers great views and a good little work-out, since it follows an open sandstone ridge. Its location makes it popular, but it's likely to be convenient for you. You'll get the idea from this link. To do it end-to-end, you'll need two cars or a cab. An up-and-back from near the Phoenician Resort is a good alternative.

Agreed -- was just there a year ago.

Also in Scottsdale -- although not a hiking destination -- is Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West, which is worth a visit in and of itself.

I recall Vultee Arch, Devil's Bridge, Boyton Canyon- I think that one is a vortex, and West Fork. !

Votrex....I remember my sister taking me to one....people praying there, some type of healing area......saw a woman doing some spiritual work like a Shaman waving her hands over a couple's head....pretty interesting...I think it was on the way back from Sedona. I went late November and it was comfortable, I imagine now it's getting really hot, be safe.....

This time of year it is hot in the Valley. Be sure to hike in the morning before the furnace really heats it up.

^^^This iz korrekt.

Before we got married, SWMBO and I went out to see my soon-to-be inlaws, who were living in Scottsdale at the time. During our visit, my MIL explained the difference between spring and summer in Phoenix this way (it was early May, IIRC):

In the spring, it's 100F daytime/75 nighttime.
In the summer, it's 105F daytime/98 nighttime! :eek:

You know how, during New England winters, we go out and start our cars and let them warm up for 5 minutes before heading out? Well, in Phoenix they do the same thing, 'cept they crank up the A/C full whack for 5 minutes to cool down the car, otherwise they'd be medium-rare by the time they arrived at work!

And don't fall for that "but it's a dry heat" crap, either. 105F is friggin' HOT!!

Do the Flatiron!

It's about 40 minutes from Tempe down the road in the Superstitions - Lost Dutchman State Park/Siphon Draw trailhead.
A great 3-4 hour roundtrip hike up to a spectacular scramble up to the "Flatiron". Or you can just go up the draw to the bottom of the steeper climb.
http://hikearizona.com/decoder.php?ZTN=45
This time of year you can get a day that isn't too hot.

I would definitly recomment Sedona if you have the time...I spent 3 days there hiking lots of smaller cool hikes. The colors and shapes..and the vortexes are pretty amazing! Boynton Canyon was a great one and there was one out to some Indian ruins...forget the name....???:confused:

If you are in Phoenix and want a quick hike,go to Scottsdale up Pinnacle Peak...nice hike, my friends run up it to stay in shape as lots of locals do.;)
Beautifull sunset viewing!

Camelback also is a great hike!:D

Enjoy!!!

Thanks!

This is all great information and sets me well on my way to finding some adventure. I'm sure we'll get up to Sedona! Can always count on all you you for experienced advise. I'll give you a report when I get back. ;) [FTR - I'd rather be heading for Tux or a nice calm White Mtn!!]

I imagine it's already starting to get pretty hot out there this time of year. But it's a dry heat...
Yeah - right!!