"Pound the Presis" - Presi travese to benefit TBTS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, Accuweather also says that the next week should be rain-free. I'll believe it when I see it but, I'm hopeful. My glass is half ful and half empty. It's also cracked. :D

Questions: Is anyone else planning on doing a short "warm-up" hike on Friday? Also, (I know this has probably already been addressed) are people cookin' and eatin' at CMR after the hike? I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna get grub afterwards if I get down too late to get something in Gorham.

Double Bow said:
FWIW, Accuweather also says that the next week should be rain-free. I'll believe it when I see it but, I'm hopeful. My glass is half ful and half empty. It's also cracked. :D

Questions: Is anyone else planning on doing a short "warm-up" hike on Friday? Also, (I know this has probably already been addressed) are people cookin' and eatin' at CMR after the hike? I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna get grub afterwards if I get down too late to get something in Gorham.

man - haven't you guys been doing this long enought to know the 7 day forecast will change 6 times before friday :p :p ;)

but - I do hope your right, cuz this weather has really sucked eggs -

not hiking friday plan to be at CMR around noon - chilling out with some folks I haven't seen for while and try and get a decent night sleep :confused: - I would think your welcome to use the the grills that shizz will have - but people should def plan on bringing their own food.

pary for no rain and low wind!

I'm hoping for nice weather for next Friday and especially for Saturday. I'll be camping at CMR and plan to bring plenty of groceries. Plan to do some carb loading on Friday for dinner and then eating and drinking well post hike on Saturday! I plan to do some light walks this week but nothing besides the drive up on Friday.

If anyone is hell bent on a short warmup hike for Friday, Cherry Mountain/Mt Martha fits the bill on 2 counts: 1) short hike, 2) the view of coming attractions (i.e. one of the best Northern Presi views around. And you won't spend a lot of time driving to the trailhead (one traiklhead is on CMR, others are on Rt 115. You have the option of a traverse, or an up and back.

Last edited:
More Dollars

We all share in the success of this hike!

Today has proven to be another good one. The small counry church that I attend when I'm at the cottage came through with flying colors today (I had a poster and sign-up sheet). With flat donations and pledges it totalled >$100.00 (including one challange to double)!! Then, I just checked my email and a college fraternity brother living in Florida hit me for $3.00/peak and another friend in Manchester, NH backed me for $5.00 per peak with a challange to double it if this body can pull it off!!

This is great motivation! Maybe these are the dollars that will find a cure!! I want to hike on a day like today... it's gorgeous in WNY!!

Double Bow: We are going to have a big grillfest saturday night. Because people will be arriving at different times depending on the hike, it was decided by Guy and I to simply have a BBQ after. We did that last year when we did the traverse for training for Mt Rainier. It make sense that way, so unless you have a fear of Shizzmac Burgers (or are a vegetarian/vegan) we'll have stuff setup for saturday dinner. Friday night is kind of open though, folks can always cook out or run for food nearby....

I will email out the spreadsheet of hikers by wednesday, this will allow all of us to contact each other (assuming cell number was provided to me) during the event. I figure if you print this out or so, you should be able to contact or relay information to one of us (me, Skiguy, or Guy or anybody with a car) for a pickup. Of course, this is assuming you have cell reception, but if not, you're not anyworse off than without it anyway.

If you do not wish to be in this spreadsheet I email out, then email/pm me and I will cross you off, just in case somebody has privacy concerns. I plan on simply sending out the spreadsheet with name, VfTT handle and cell phone number to folks. I'll keep the full spreadsheet and give that to Skiguy and myself and perhaps Guy.

Jay

giggy said:
should also mention - don't by shy of bringing some firewood :) :) :)
Oh, sure, now you tell me!! I just left the cottage where I've been burning crap I've been cutting down for the last couple of weeks!! :( I guess I'll just bring the chainsaw! :eek:

I did some shopping on Saturday and picked up some nice cheeses for sharing, etc. Are you/we thinking we should bring some other stuff to fill in around the burgers, etc? (like a tomato or cucumber salad or something?)

My fundraising preference has been that donators sponsor me "Per Peak" -- and the donations are still coming in strong from all over the country!! This will be excellent... motivation waiting ahead on each peak because so many dollars waiting on each (I'll figure that out later) and then a Shizzmac burger waiting at the end!!!! :D :D :D

Bubba, you know that means we'll be carrying you over every peak if we have too... Maybe that's smart on your part! :D

I'll do this in email too, just in case folks aren't keeping up with this thread.

Although we will supply the gas and grill (thanks shizz!), food is best be up to you, i.e. bring the main food item.

I never got any responses on people's food preferences anyway and guy is right, saturday night makes sense to eat at CMR as people will be finishing at different times and you'll all be hungry.

So, bring main food items, I'm sure there will be snacks that can be passed around and stuff... I will try to buy plates and forks and stuff, I figure non-perishables can always be reused!

Jay

Okay. I thought Sean was going to buy the burgers and we'd kick in dollars back to him, so if I'm wrong, I'll modify the plan.

Hey, never thought about having help making it over all the peaks!! :p That rocks!! Paradox will have his dogs... maybe I'll just ride them!!

BTW, don't anyone forget that we have a NH48 celebration to consider on Jackson!! We'll see how things work out...

Last edited:
My Cell # has changed (if I gave you one before) & I don't have it handy at the moment.

I am looking for a short warm up hike Friday. Depending on my transportation route & if I have to pick anyone up ;) I was looking at either Bald or Martha. I'll have to look at the trail from CMR, I've only been up from Route 115. If distance & gain is about the same, I'd be game.

I expect to be at CMR around 4:15 or 5:00 if no one is in for Mt. Martha. (Since I would do Bald before arriving)

DB, are you staying at Hiker's? If so, that is also my plan for Friday Night.

Okay. I thought Sean was going to buy the burgers and we'd kick in dollars back to him, so if I'm wrong, I'll modify the plan.

Well, I think it is better not to burden Shawn too much. He is already bringing the grill and I do plan on reimbursing him a bit for the gas. I only speak for myself though. Guy and I will pick up some burger patties on the way up, but I don't think we're going to buy 100lbs of ground beef, ya know! Guy and I talked about this and I think I might have confused some folks here so just to clear this up, grill and gas will be provided, and I think Shawn will have his nice 12' square tent, but I think food is best be provided by yourself. Having said that, we'd probably (as usual) have leftover food so if you are arriving late, I'm sure we'll have food for you so no need to drive around looking for an open store or whatever, we'll feed ya!

Jay

just clarifying the shizzmac thing: not sure where this started :eek: - but pretty sure he is not supplying the food :) - as far as I know he is just bringing the grills and stuff. which is great - while, I am sure there will be extra food somewhere, everyone should probably count on bringing what they plan to eat. Unless something has been discussed that i don't know about.

just mentioning this incase others think there is going to be a head of food up there and come with just cash!! cash is no good at CMR!! ;) ;)

so bring some food bring lot of food - bring whatever :)

To those who have yet to hike the Northern Presis....may I suggest bringing warm weather gear that includes gloves, hat, fleece, wind/water proof outer wear--top and bottom.....or you can just read Sli74's post in trip reports and make your choices based on her experience!! :eek: :D
...Jade

jade said:
To those who have yet to hike the Northern Presis....may I suggest bringing warm weather gear that includes gloves, hat, fleece, wind/water proof outer wear--top and bottom.....or you can just read Sli74's post in trip reports and make your choices based on her experience!! :eek: :D
...Jade

we'll said - last year we had roughly 35-40 degree temps, decent wind and lots of water - and I firmly believe many of us were in intial stage hypothermia. fingers crossed, but weekend is looking decent - hopefully we'll be up there in shorts :)

I was probably dreaming somewhere along the way... possibly something was posted that Shizzmac was taking care of everything for burgers (more in general that specific). Good we have it all cleared up. [posting at the same time is greatly effective... even those suffering with ADD have gotten the message] :rolleyes:

jade, nice point about the weather conditions. I'll be sure to put in the "spring" hiking gear.

keep em crossed - this is what we want to hear!!

THINGS LOOK PRETTY GOOD OVER THE REGION FOR THE REST OF THE WEEK AS
HIGH PRESSURE BUILDS INTO NEW ENGLAND FROM THE WEST ON THURSDAY AND
FRIDAY.

Beating a Dead Horse:
Since I am now Shizzy's passenger (Thanks to all who offered!) I can tell you the following:
1) Grills will be available for use
2) Easy Up awning will be set up over the grills
3) No food will be provided (Sean just got back from a week in the Whites)

Echoing Giggy's note : BRING FIREWOOD!!! VFTT members have used site #4 quite extensively over the past few years. Available firewood in the area is becoming scarce.

See you then!