Question About Bears In The White Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most bears arn't doing lists so you're just as likely to see them on any mountain, regardless of height. And actually, there's a better chance in the lower elevations (more food). That said, the highest elevation I've seen a bear was at maybe 2000', but I've seen sign much higher. A couple of summers ago there was a big, juicy, purple bear turd right smack in the middle of the choicest tent site behind the former Camp Rich, about 3300'. But one thing is sure: he didn't eat those blueberries anywhere nearby. Maybe he came across Rollins Trail from Blueberry Ledge. . .

Heh, Whiteface and Passaconaway; maybe bears ARE peakbaggers.

Maybe the bears are salivating over sandwiches on the Sandwich Range...
I scared one up on the lower Kelley Trail a few years ago...along the old road overgrown with berry bushes. The only bears I've encountered over the years along trails (2) beat hasty retreats.

Last May (2003) I barely avoided at least one bear on Carrigain. I could hear them, but not see them and they were getting closer. Probably right around 2000'.

Although I was on the forest road not the trail, because I was slightly lost :confused:

Lots of, eh, signs of them in the middle of the trail too.

After many years of hiking, I can honestly say that I have never seen a bear on the trail (though I have followed fresh muddy bear prints on the melting spring snow, and have come across a plethora of scat).

In 2002, I did see a large black bear attempting to cross Rt 3 near Twin Mt. I quickly pulled over, grabbed my camera, and headed out of my truck to try and get a picture...

As soon as he saw me, he bolted into the woods. I continued to walk about 50 yards down the road looking for him, trying to see if I could get a picture.

All of a sudden he popped out another 50 yards farther down, which surprised the both of us! At first I thought it was another bear because it was so far away in such a short time, but I soon realized that it had travelled 100 yards thru the woods in less than a minute, and it could certainly reach me out in the open only 50 yards away within seconds...

I ended up back peddling to my truck, and watched it cross the road via the rear view mirror as I was turning around. I am amazed at just how fast they are...

I too have never seen a bear while hiking on any trail in New England. I've seen plenty of signs of bears, with the most recent being scat on top of Saddleback in Maine.

In all the years I've been going to the woods this year was the first time I've ever seen a bear in the wild. I was crossing Bear Notch Rd. (ironically enough) and at the height of the land near the downward truck sign a big black bear was standing in the middle of the road. I slowed down, he gave me a startled look, turned and walked back into the woods. About 5 minutes later while traveling down the Kanc towards Conway I saw a HUGE moose walking along the side of the road. It's a rare day when you have two large animal encounters so close apart.

I've never seen a bear while hiking, but I've seen two while driving; one in Franconia Notch several years ago, and another crossing Bear Notch Road this summer.

Steve

I've seen a couple in my travels. One on the Hale Brook trail just a few minutes after leaving the parking lot, a momma and cubs on the horse riding trails on Loon, and one quickly running away on Mt OJI in Baxter.

Of course there is camping in the Dacks....

-dave-

Bears Ive seen

Over the past 25 years of hiking in NH, since my Army retirement and return home, here is my personal list of bruins in the bush.

Crossing Crawford Path just above Gibbs Falls (5:00 AM). Just a fleeting glimpse before it vanished. A wet footprint remained.

Coming down the western logging road from the Captain (9:00 AM) I was on my up to the Cpt, it was on the way down. We saw each other almost the same time. The bear simply turned around and scurried back up the logging road.

Standing across from 13 Falls Trail at Hellgate Brook (2:00 PM). The bear was standing broadside to me about 50 feet away. Hellgate Brook was noisily babbling away at the crossing and the wind was in my favor. It was pretty evident that he was trying to figure out what I was, but the combination of his poor vision, brook noise, and wind direction kept him standing there looking as I walked quietly past on the trail. This time it was me who gingerly moved out of sight. That was the same year that they closed Franconia Brook Campsites due to bear activity. And also the same year that the backpacking party let a bear push them completely through the Pemi when they were nervous about stopping and camping.

There also was the night that I spent with my sister and my wife at Sawyer Pond Shelter and we smelled bears all afternoon. The next morning, behind the shelter there were broken open logs and rooted up earth all over the place. It was fall, so the bruins were evidently "carbo loading".

I've always like that "Old Native American" saying: "if a leaf falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hears it, and the bear smells it".

Up where I live we are at about 90% fall foliage. The peepers are coming. Bring $$$.

Re: Bears on 4Ks

Tramper Al said:
My best on the trail NE bear encounter was with a young fellow who had navigated the regulations for a BSP trip and was working on his NE4Ks.

Thanks ;) Was that me, or the bear?

I've not seen a bear in the Whites on the trail since 1969, and at that, only 1/4 mile from Dolly Copp CG. I've heard what I suspect were bears in the woods off the Wilderness trail on 2 occasions, but never saw them.

I recall three instances while hiking:
1-when backpacking in the Pemi, the bear came for dinner which wasn’t even ready
2-I’m sure was the same bear the next day crossing the Wilderness trail
3-on Imp trail, we saw tracks all day crossing our path in the snow and finally saw it on our return

I’ve been close but not seen another couple times. Hot scat, fresh prints in the snow - one time following them for quite a distance on the trail to Bigelow’s.

The best was driving route 16 and seeing a cub in an apple tree in someone's front yard!

We saw a one- or two-year old black bear as we completed our Wildcat-Carter traverse around 6:30 pm on September 26th in a clearing just north of the old logging road leading down to Camp Dodge from the North Carter Trail (not far from Dolly Copp). He ran down hill towards Rt. 16 when he saw us, but then veered south back towards Camp Dodge (and us), which was a relief as we were afraid he might get hit by a car.

Have never seen evidence that black bears have bagged any NH4s, but moose certainly have. We observed an abundance of moose pellets on the South Carter summit, even on the little side trail, a couple of hours before our bear encounter.

For the 4K, saw one on Wildcat ski trail who took off when he saw me. I'm told they can be seen from Rte. 3 in mornings eating berries on Cannon ski trails.

Have seen several on other hikes including one who nearly walked up to us sniffing ground and then saw us and vanished.

I've seen signs on many trails in the Whites, mostly lower down (2Kish and less) around fairly flat terrain.

That being said, I saw very fresh tracks in the snow going up Israel Ridge 2 yrs ago at the end of October. Very deep snow that day (much of which was iced then melting next day, fun descent). The tracks were crossing and recrossing just up ahead of us on the trail but we never got a glimpse. Lost the tracks probably about 1,000 vertical feet below the Perch. Would that make it about 3,600 hundredish?

The other place I always see a lot of activity is Dry River Wilderness. Lots of tracks, lots of scat.

Funny story. We had hiked in to Shelter #3. Some other guys, who obviously thought they were really moutain came up a bit later. We talked, everyone had fun (except they were trying to cook on the fire ring and a Sierra Stove, late October, about 3" of snow on the ground and wet as a bog). Anyway, before we turned in, I went out to a tree overhanging the river and hung a bag. Nothing elaborate or even exceptionally sound, just enough to get it out of the shelter and just hard enough that maybe Mr./Ms. bear just gives up. The guys in the shelter thought this was hilarious! "What a wimp, no bears are coming around with 8 of us at the shelter, blah blah blah." Eat me, I'm thinking.

Next morning, there were tracks of at least 2 bears all around the shelter area (very close to the front too, the bears were definitely thinking about food in those morons' packs).

At the campground at the Loj in the ADK, my wife and I were there about 15 minutes before we saw 2 bears running like crazy through the camp w/ bear whistles and guys shouting. Next morning, I awoke to a pretty good sized bear on the back of our Subaru then climbing to the roof, spying our cooler. We were there 3 nights and each day was pretty much the same. My wife wasn't all that keen on the area! :)

Saw a large bear at the cog parking lot near a picnic table at dusk in early August. He seemed most interested in "leftovers."
I spoke with someone at the gas station on 302 and they said he is out every day making "dumpster rounds".
It made me wonder why the Whites don't have the same bear proof recepticles that the Smoky Mountains do.
It seems that we just encourage "bad bear behavior" and the bears will untimately have to pay the price for our carelesness.

The real question about bears.

Does a bear shit in the woods?

You couldn't prove it by me. I've seen several bears in the Whites, 75% of the sightings were views of the hind rumps disappearing into the brush. The only place I've seen scat was not in the woods but in berry patches.

The most beautiful sighting we had was from atop Webster Cliffs where about 20 yards below a mother was suckling her cubs as the warm late summer sun reflected off their healthy dark coats.

This mother in the avatar, with what seemed like a dozen cubs scampering about in the underbrush, is married to Smokey. Treehuggers!

Bears is Whites

Just this August I saw one - while walking from the trailhead back to Pinkams Notch on the road - He or she was breaking open a log.

About 10 years ago I saw one, very up close like 5 feet, when he raided our tent site after dinner.

In speaking with the caretaking at 13 fall he was visited several time this year. One time the bear tossed around his bear box for an hour before giving up. That site has two very heavy duty boxes and they must be used. It also has a common cooking area.

So, yes they are up there and they are not all shy. However once you are above 4000 feet or so they should not be an issue. They stick to the valleys where the food is. But you really do need to take care below that. They are not as habituated or agressive as ADK bears, but they look for easy targets. Hang your food well and cook a distance from camp

Peace

Rev.T

Thanks everyone for your stories about bears in the whites. To be honest though, I thought that some of you would talk about how you have seen dozens of bears each while hiking. It's interesting to see that spotting one of them truly is still a rare occasion.

Keep more stories coming if you got them. I have become very interested in hearing these stories after my first close encounter with a bear just last week near the North Slide on Mt. Tripyramid.

-Greg

I've seen more bears trying to surf my dumpster than anywhere else in the Whites. They only come around here once, tho.

Second in sightings is Sandwich Notch Road, to the point that I stopped taking my dogs up there.

Both my dumpster and SNR are in the same bear circuit. We've got 'em, and big 'un's at that -- according to my neighbor, the second largest bear in state history was taken last week just behind our place.

On the trail, I've never seen a bear. Close to home, I'm hiking with my dogs. Peakbagging, I'm too high up for most good pickings, and when I'm coming down in the dark I'm singing to beat the band -- just don't want to scare anything (myself included!)

One interesting possibility: While hiking the Caps Ridge Trail up Jefferson, another hiker told me he saw a bear above me at the "pothole" overlook (just above 3500'). Can't confirm this, but he was sufficiently adamant that I sang my way thru the surrounding berry patch on the way down!

The only bear we ever saw in the Whites,was the one that nearly ran into the side of our car on Rt16 in Conway. Running full speed,head down,going across the road,he didn't particularly care what was in his path!
On the other hand,we were surrounded by black bears all the time in our campsites in Aialik Bay in Alaska. They were there to "greet " us as soon as we paddled ashore.