Ray Loring Memorial Hike - PAtN, NH - November 22, 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Many of the readers here are aware that Ray Loring passed away on September 6, 2008, on Peak Above the Nubble (PAtN) in NH, while hiking with Jason Berard and me. Ray died of a sudden heart attack. He was working on his 84th of the New England 100 highest summits.

Shortly after Ray's death, I was approached by Bob and Geri about possibly doing a memorial hike for Ray. Jason, Ridgewalker (Ray's closest friend on VFTT) and I discussed this and decided it was a great idea.

We picked Saturday, November 22 as the date and sent out invitations to a select few who either knew Ray or expressed an interest in advance.

The forecast for Saturday seemed to get a bit worse each time it was updated. We knew the conditions might be hostile, but decided that Saturday would remain the date.

Our group of 14 hikers and 1 dog arrived Saturday morning at the Beaver Brook rest stop. Those hikers were:
• VFTTers: Audrey, Bob and Geri, Bobby, Don K., Jason Berard, LarryD, Ridgewalker, Rols, Tuco, me
• Others: Genie (Pat and Audrey’s beautiful dog), Greg, Jason W (aka Jason II), Pat (as in Pat and Audrey)

VFTTers WSC and MtnPa also stopped by to extend their best wishes and send their regrets that they would not be able to join us on the hike.

We then carpooled up Haystack Road to the trailhead, stopping to push out a car that went off the side of the road and sustained minor front end damage.

We geared up and started the hike at 8:30 am in cloudy, windy and snowy conditions, with temps in the teens, with Bob Hayes leading the way.

After hiking some log/tote roads, we headed into a clearcut and then headed into the woods to ascend to the summit ridge. Shortly after getting into the woods, Pat and Audrey realized that their dog Genie was gone for an unusual amount of time. She did not respond to our repeated calls. Audrey and Pat decided to head down to search for her, while the rest continued on with an eye for her tracks in the snow and an ear for any unusual sounds. We occasionally ran across her tracks, but she would not respond to our calls.

The snow depths increased with elevation, but surprisingly the ground beneath it was not too frozen. Our trekking poles kept picking up dirt that froze on contact. This looked quite gross, as if we had stuck our trekking poles into dog poo. I have never seen the turd stick effect before.

We reached the ridge and outlook around 10:30-11 and saw none of the amazing views that Ray, Jason and I saw there back in September. We then pushed through some somewhat thick stuff, came to the false summit and shortly after reached the open area just below the ridgeline where Ray died. We then conducted summit memorial services, which took about 30 minutes. During these ceremonies, many of the group got very cold as the wind was relentless and the temps dropped down to single digits. Bob Hayes got it just right when he said it felt colder than Mt. Washington in January. BRRRRRR!

Shortly after that, a few of the hikers decided to head down, while seven of us continued on to the summit. There, we ran into increasingly deeper snow and colder temps. We stumbled through the snow covered blowdown jungle just below the summit and quickly found the canister still hanging on a blown down tree (nice job, Geri!). We then had some snacks and headed down. We got down a short ways and ran into my dear friend Timmus, who was doing the hike solo. After some introductions, we continued on, following our footsteps.

We then ran into some moose or deer tracks just below the summit ridge, along with Genie’s tracks and ventured off a bit to the west of our now well worn route. We just continued down, but did not find Genie. We eventually realized we were about 1/3 of a mile too far to the west. We then had to bop our way eastward through a tangled mess and eventually hit the clearcut as well as Bobby, Tuco and Timmus (who was smart not to follow our route), who were searching for Genie. We got back to the cars a bit before 4, running into VFTTer Motabobo, who was waiting for Timmus.

Bobby, Greg, Jason, Jason, Larry D, Ridgewalker, Tuco and I then headed off to Woodstock Station for a total pigout and some brews (except for me: I had hot tea and withstood several assaults on my masculinity). Ridgewalker, who was the smallest of the group, got the award for eating a full meat lover’s deep dish pizza. I tried to match him without success, leaving a full slice on the table. This was an awesome dinner with laughs galore.

Bob and Geri reported on a separate VFTT thread later that evening that they found that Genie returned to the trailhead and was eventually reunited with Pat and Audrey! What a huge relief!

My sincere thanks to each and every person who made this hike such a wonderful tribute to such an incredible man, Charles Ray Loring II. You will all have a special place in my heart, for sure.

Ray was a composer, a mentor, a hiker and above all, a dear friend. For more information on this great man, you can refer to this thread back in September: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25024&highlight=loring

Here are just a few photos of our hike. I hope the others post their photos and comments as well: http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=07fe119dbe06eb5d&sid=0YYtW7Vo1YsKc

Best regards,
Marty

Marty, you said it all. I was honored to participate in this memorial to Ray. It was emotional for all of us. I can only imagine how you and Jason B. felt.

Marty, thanks for posting this TR and photos. I'm sure it was a bittersweet day for all of you.

Excellent report, Marty! Thank you to everyone who came, and those who met us at Beaver Brook, but couldn't hike as well. To have the warmth of so many good friends along as we paid tribute to Ray made me immune to the cold!

Audrey and Pat, I am so glad Genie came back to you!

We were honored to able to join Ray's close friends in completing his journey to the summit. The day was an adventure from the start, one that we will remember always.

Great trip report Marty! And even nicer to have finally met.

It was nice meeting some of you at the TH, and we (me and Julie) are very glad everything turned out OK for the dog.

Thanks for the great TR Marty and thanks as well to you and Jason for including me on this day. I am sorry I did not have a chance to get to know Ray better, but I am honored to have participated on this day.

Very nice ceremony Jason, Marty and Ridgewalker put together. Great group of people, the kind of people I would want with me if I needed help on a hike.

I thought the coolest story of the day was at Beaver Brook where Marty said the GPS waypoints used during the descent actually came from Ray on the day he passed; he was there with Marty and Jason yesterday to finish the hike in a way....

Glad to have met so many cool people, and see familiar faces too- by the way, it was COLD. Very glad all worked out for Pat, Audrey and Genie too!

Thanks again-

Some pix- I have not had a chance to label but will get to...

http://tuco.smugmug.com/gallery/6634483_6WyVH#P-1-15

Last edited:
Sounds like it was a great way to pay tribute to someone who, by reading the outpouring of love and respect, was a great man. I never knew of this gentleman until after his passing but definitely sounds like someone I would have liked to have known.

Marty and Jason,
Thank you for the invitation.
With many regrets I could not attend.
From what I've read I'm certain Ray's spirt was honored by your memorial service.
Take Care
WSC

It was a very special day. It was a day that I think did honor to Ray's memory. Marty, Jason, Clark...the ceremony touched us all. Rays memory...the companionship...the trail all made the day very memorable. I felt honored to be a part of it.

Very nice TR Marty. Thanks for inviting me along. Ray was a special man, he will be sorely missed. The service at Ray's final resting spot was moving, and Clarke's poem was especially nice.

It was nice to meet new folks, and in spite of the weather, things went pretty well. Thanks to Geri for being the ultimate Trail Mom. She made sure we had our gloves, hats....all the things a good mom does:D

With the safe return of Genie, the day as a total success.

Thank you Marty for the ride and the music, which we could hear even with Clarke snoring in the backseat:p

Last edited:
Hi all,

Below is a one page summary about Ray and his many accomplishments. I left a laminated version of this at the summit canister.

RAY LORING – COMPOSER, MENTOR, HIKER, FRIEND – 1943-2008​

Composer Charles Raymond Loring II, whose music set the mood for nearly 100 episodes of the PBS series "Nova," died Sept. 6, 2008 after suffering a heart attack while climbing in the White Mountains.

Charles, better known as Ray, was trying to reach his 84th of the 100 Highest peaks in New England on a bushwhack hike when he collapsed about 11:15 am, on a nameless and trail-less mountain south of Haystack Mountain in Bethlehem, N.H. That mountain is known by some of the hiking community as Peak Above the Nubble. Ray’s two hiking companions administered CPR, called 911 and were able to give authorities the coordinates of their location. A rescue attempt took several hours because of remoteness of the location.

Ray, who lived in Georgetown, MA and taught music at Gordon College, was 65.

Ray began playing piano at age 10. He graduated from Perley High School in his home town of Georgetown, MA. He studied piano with Fred Noonan, the White House pianist to Franklin Roosevelt and Harry Truman. He studied at Yale University at Timothy Dwight College, particularly with the late Edmund Morgan. He was a member of Scroll and Key.

During his senior year he was granted the Woodrow Wilson Fellowship and used it for his graduate studies at Brandeis University Graduate School of Music, studying under Seymour Shifrin, Arthur Berger and Harold Shapero.
Ray and his childhood friend, Dick Bartlett, collaborated on the 1971 film, "Ruby," a quiet comedy about small-town life in New England featuring people who were not professional actors. The movie received warm national reviews.

He scored two television dramas for Hearst Productions, "Last Ferry Home," starring Christopher Reeve, and "No Room for Opal," featuring Tyne Daly.
For "Nova," Mr. Loring's music was heard in "The Last Great Ape," "Pocahontas Revealed," and "Saving The National Treasures," among others. His last NOVA work, “Artctic Dinosaurs”, was completed the day before his death. He also composed numerous other pieces for PBS's "Frontline," as well as for The History Channel and The Discovery Channel. Other television compositions include Why the Towers Fell (2002), Einstein Revealed (1996) and Secrets of Lost Empires II (1996).

Loring taught at Endicott College circa 1980-1992 and went into freelance composing full time until 2007 when he was accepted into the music faculty at Gordon College from 2007-2008.

Ray composed his works in a high-tech electronic studio high in the barn loft of the family home where he grew up. He was the only child of Rena and Howard Loring. His mother died several years ago. He leaves his father.

Friends and colleagues remembered him as a "humble genius." He was loved by nearly everyone he met and was deeply devoted to God. He always loved to learn new things and was sincerely respectful of everyone’s opinions.

In his leisure he enjoyed hiking with friends and completed the New Hampshire 48 and the New England 67, both high accomplishments regarded in the hiking world.

16 more for Ray?

I was struck by Marty's statement that Ray was working on his 84th peak of the 100. Wouldn't it be lovely for his friends to summit Ray's remaining 16 in his memory... just a thought for future trips.

I was struck by Marty's statement that Ray was working on his 84th peak of the 100. Wouldn't it be lovely for his friends to summit Ray's remaining 16 in his memory... just a thought for future trips.

That's an interesting thought:cool: I was 6 peaks ahead of Ray. Maybe I can do those over for him. Will have to give that some thought. :)

One thing I already do is carry a photo of Ray in my pack, which I plan to do for all my hikes.

Thanks for the idea!