Ray Loring Memorial Hike - PAtN, NH - November 22, 2008

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to add one more thing I forgot earlier- Marty and Jason showed us the route that the SAR team brought Ray- as well as Jason and Marty down. Amazing. I can’t fathom the level of effort the SAR teams put in that day. Just amazing. Including the person at the Forest Service (feel free Jason and Marty to correct) who was such a great help on the phone as discussed after the hike.

Being there and seeing it put me in awe on the work that was done that day in the rainy conditions. Incuding Marty and Jason too....

Marty,

Very nice job. Thanks for the invitation. I'm very sorry that I couldn't join the hike - clearly it was my loss.

Earl

Thank you all for coming on the memorial hike in Ray's honor. Ray would of have been stunned in his quiet disposition with the incredible turnout we had.

I am glad to hear that Genie is now safe. Thanks goes to Geri for finding my glove, they must have feet of their own! I am delighted to have met you Bob and Geri, for you are a dynamic hiking couple.

Bobby, Tuco, Greg, and Don, thanks for joining me on our sudden descent down. Kudos to Jason B. for loaning his down coat to get my teeny carcass warm again. Thanks to Greg and Marty (and others) for your hot drinks and chocolate. Nothing is better than a good kick of green tea!

For those of you who did not have the honor of knowing Ray, I hope those that knew him best can provide ample answers of what a humble 'larger than life' figure Ray was for everyone. Those that knew him miss him very much, but know he is overlooking us as we climb the mountains.

With appreciation,

Ridgewalker

Many thanks for inviting me for the hike and ceremony. I was really looking forward to this after a particuilarly tough week. After my third trip to the Toto I realized that food poisoning was behind my lack of energy. Didn't get off the couch until late afternoon. I recovered fast enough to attend a GPS training session on Sunday.

Seems that Genie was the only one with enough sense to come in from the cold :confused:

Marty & Jason,
Thank you so much for inviting me. Sorry I couldn't be there.
What a beautiful tribute. Ray was so blessed to have such
wonderful friends in his life. Keep us posted on finishing Ray 100th.

Thanks so much for the wonderful trip report. I so wish that Craig and I could have joined you. Given the head cold (complete with nasty cough) that has gripped me for the past two weeks and the COLD of that day, I made a wise decision to bow out. You all were in my thoughts and prayers on Saturday.

So glad that Genie's (mis)adverture turned out okay. Does that mean she's confined to being on a leash from now on, Audrey?

If you decide to complete Ray's remaining NEHH peaks, you might be able to convince me to join you for some of them. Let me know.

Kris