Recent Rainfall in White Mtns

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnpa

Reaction score
According to Mt Washington Weather Observatory:

August (so far)- 6.94"

July- 12.88"

Something to think about when making plans for this weekend...

Most definitly, be careful this weekend, yesterday the Whites escaped the heaviest rain, but today they probably won't. The ground is so saturated that is takes only 1 inch of rain right now to cause flooding. It looks like they will get that too. Saturday some scattered showers and storms with a break Sunday. Next week looks like another exact repeat of this week. Here in Lebanon NH, we are 9 inches above average, that is 3-4 months of rain ahead of schedule. -Mattl

Hmmm

mtnpa said:
According to Mt Washington Weather Observatory:

August (so far)- 6.94"

July- 12.88"

Something to think about when making plans for this weekend...

How's the 'new' driveway holding up?

This summer is definitely a sharp contrast from last year's. I recall taking lots of vacation days last summer to hike solo in the Whites. The weather then was rarely an issue! This summer season has overall been a washout especially during many weekends! I wouldn't dream of hiking solo now considering the risky crossings at the swollen rivers and streams. It was great, however, that we were spared the inclement weather during Bearly Live!

The bright side is the lush and green vegetation we see everywhere! The hazards are the loss of life and inconvenience of washed out roads and lightening damage, etc.

Weather is always interesting in New England!

Gris said:
How's the 'new' driveway holding up?

It's holding up much better than the town's road :eek:

Spending this weekend extending the ditch uphill.

mookie said:
can only hope we get this much precip in the winter :D

reputation_neg.gif

:)

mookie said:
can only hope we get this much precip in the winter :D

I was just thinking that & gazing fondly at my skis this morning...
:D

Wow, it's pouring yet again just south of the Sandwich Range. Need to find two people per completed peak bagging list for the ark.

speaking of snow, is there any reliable data to correlate how one season can affect another? I've always heard that cold winters result in hot summers. Is there any science to back this up or is this farmers almanac style bunk? If there is, with the wet summer, what kind of winter do you think we can expect?

It seems the precip ramped up last December and has been holding steady since. I was shovelling my driveway nearly every day during the winter and it seems to rain nearly every day all summer. I plan on buying some new snowshoes and getting my skis tuned up real soon................

We just got back from a week of rain. Our first hike in the rain wasn't too bad, but among other hikes we also did Moriah Brook Trail to the Gorge and encountered 2 parties that got stuck overnight at one of the crossings of Highwater ( how ironic ) Trail and there was no way of passing the Gorge. Then yesterday (8th) we did Whiteface and Passaconaway via Blueberry Ledge and Rollins and Dicey's Mill. There was no real problem crossing at the site of the old mill, though you would get wet, but all trails were a veritable brrok bed. My boots hadn't dried out all week and I had water bladders in them all day yesterday.