reports to get 46 patch?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I have climbed 40 of the 46 and hope to finish next summer. I have gotten a correspondent to send my reports but I have never started. It has been 8 years since I did my first one so my memory is not as good as if I have just done it (You know how it is when you get old ;) ). How long and how detailed do you have to be when sending in these reports?

I would imagine you could be as long or as short as you want. I've haven't heard anybody being rejected. :D

I never sent in one report and just sent in a tally sheet when I was done. I don't buy stamps. :p

Jay

Adk_dib said:
I have climbed 40 of the 46 and hope to finish next summer. I have gotten a correspondent to send my reports but I have never started. It has been 8 years since I did my first one so my memory is not as good as if I have just done it (You know how it is when you get old ;) ). How long and how detailed do you have to be when sending in these reports?

The Forty Sixers are on the Honor System. It's up to the climber on how detailed you want to get with your reports. There are those who just write, it is sunny, it rained, the view was crappy, the view was awesome, etc.
Try to give at least an approximate date of the climb, if nothing else.

My reports were very detailed actually. I wrote a report up like I would write here. I thought if I put more time into my correspondence letters my correspoder would write more back to me. I actually think she put more time into mine then just someone who wrote the views were nice :)

Our reports (we each did them separately, not as a couple) were somewhat detailed, and I asked lots of questions about things I saw, other route comparisons, future hikes, as well as some personal observations. We both enjoyed writing them and receiving feedback in return. There is no set length. The report is whatever you want to make it. I found that not viewing it as a "chore" or a "hoop" to jump through made it a satisfying and fun experience.

After my first report last fall, which was pretty brief and to the point, my correspondent encouraged me to say a little more about my impressions of the hikes/peaks and my feelings upon hiking them. This gave me a whole different way of looking at it, and like Dick, I find it to be a very satisfying experience, both writing and receiving responses from my correspondent. For the first time in my life I am keeping a journal (of my 46er quest). Writing these reports to my correspondent and TRs for the forums is a great help in that regard. That reminds me...gotta get my journal up-to-date. :eek:

Like the rest have stated. Write about what it meant to you..gives it more meaning. While hiking now i think about whats happening more which gives me more pride and respect for those Mtns.

I just started writing this summer with my 40th. It has been 5 years doing these peaks and I had no desire to become a 46er. With the amount of people I would run into asking me what # are you on I changed my mind. I wish I would of sent some in sooner. I'm at 45 with just doing Allen. 46 this weekend.

I'm still writing mine. I've got 25 years worth of diaries to scout thru to get them all. I'm only missing about 3, so I may have to guestimate the date,either that or go and re-climb them. Thanks for the reminder on this... I've got to finish the reports for end of the year. I climbed #46 back in February.

hikem'all said:
I just started writing this summer with my 40th. It has been 5 years doing these peaks and I had no desire to become a 46er. With the amount of people I would run into asking me what # are you on I changed my mind. I wish I would of sent some in sooner. I'm at 45 with just doing Allen. 46 this weekend.

The 46Rs in general are a laid back group. It is an honor system and they like people to send regular reports but it is not rigid.

In your case a simple introductory note, I've climbed 45 and hope to finish this weekend, would generate a form listing the mountains. You complete this filling in the date you climbed each. Dates such as summer 2005 is good enough. Your number is assigned based on the date you finished. Time of finish as well helps, if you finish on Allen at noon on Saturday and someone else finished same day on any peak at say 11 am their number would be lower than yours. someone finishing same day at 1 minute after noon would get a number higher than yours.

You do not need to write a report on each hike when you first contact them, just say I've climbed 25, 30, whatever. Hikers who have been reporting on a regular basis will receive a questionnaire upon reaching peak number 40.

Choice of detail in reports is up to you. Anything from a trip report you see on this site to a simple, "I climbed mountain yesterday and liked it" will do. Hope this helps.

EDIT---oops misread your post you have been writing so you know this.

An early anticipated congrats on finishing this week end.

Last edited:
Woooow, "correspondent"!? "report" !!?? Not just filling up a form like the WM48?

How can I find a correspondent to correspond with?? :confused:

PA Ridgerunner said:
... my correspondent encouraged me to say a little more about my impressions of the hikes/peaks and my feelings upon hiking them. ...
:eek: :eek: :eek: Wicked awesome!! :D :D :D Cool! :cool: :cool: :cool:

I've got 8 more to go :D!

7summits said:
Woooow, "correspondent"!? "report" !!?? Not just filling up a form like the WM48?

How can I find a correspondent to correspond with?? :confused:

:eek: :eek: :eek: Wicked awesome!! :D :D :D Cool! :cool: :cool: :cool:

I've got 8 more to go :D!

http://www.adk46r.org/

Adirondack Forty Sixers, Inc.
Office of the Historian
PO Box 9046
Schenectady, NY 12309-0046

Send in an introduction letter asking to be assigned a Correspondent.

Skyclimber said:
Send in an introduction letter asking to be assigned a Correspondent.
There are several on this board. I don't know if they care to identify themselves, but you could ask to be assigned a particular person if any of them contact you one way or another.

Tom Rankin said:
There are several on this board. I don't know if they care to identify themselves, but you could ask to be assigned a particular person if any of them contact you one way or another.

This is not always a guarantee that you will be assigned one you request.

Could you imagine if the 770 list required corresponding? That's a lot of stamps.

I 'cut and pasted' much of the text of my reports from trip reports published here and on the other forums...which meant my correspondent had pretty much already read them before submission. There's a simple format to follow in terms of the header of the report -- beyond that you can write as much as you are inspired to.

Congrats on getting close to finishing, Dib.