Rhode Island High Point - are you game?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkyfreddy

Reaction score
Anyone interested in going to Jerimoth Hill, Rhode Island's highpoint, which is reputed to be a incredibly arduous winter climb with a tough 812 feet of elevation? I'm not sure what altitude the climb starts at, but I'll make sure to bring snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, bottled oxygen, flare guns, cell phones, whistles, etc. and all the other necessary items required by such a climb. :D

Anyhow, I'm looking for info on this peak - directions, private property issues, etc. i heard a rumor that it was ok to climb this on Saturdays and Sundays but want to confirm this. Thanks, Fred

http://riroads.com/archive/jerimothhill.htm

Interesting indeed! I remember reading an article in Backpacker some years back and the article basically saying if your caught you will be shot :D OK maybe not shot but you know what I mean :p

1ADAM12 said:
Interesting indeed! I remember reading an article in Backpacker some years back and the article basically saying if your caught you will be shot :D OK maybe not shot but you know what I mean :p

Yeah, I am pretty sure that it was for this reason that the previous owner was jailed . . . if my memory serves me correctly.

sli74

Actually some traction of some kind might not be a bad idea.
I live right down the road and just drove by there 20 minutes ago.
It's still icey from the St.Valentines Day storm.
The warm weather and predicted rain may change that soon but as of now the ice on the trail is still thick.

sli74 said:
Yeah, I am pretty sure that it was for this reason that the previous owner was jailed . . . if my memory serves me correctly.

sli74

For the record ... though Mr. Richardson was quite eccentric and definitely didn't like highpointers, he was not the one involved in the now infamous shotgun incident. It was actually a couple of neighbors who over-reacted to a couple of highpointers from Alaska skulking around in the night. They (the neighbors) were convicted on (I think) 9 felony counts.

Anyhoo ... that's all in the past. The Mosleys are reportedly as nice as pie and were even featured on the cover of Apex to Zenith (the highpointers magazine) about a year ago.

Mark S said:
For the record ... though Mr. Richardson was quite eccentric and definitely didn't like highpointers, he was not the one involved in the now infamous shotgun incident. It was actually a couple of neighbors who over-reacted to a couple of highpointers from Alaska skulking around in the night. They (the neighbors) were convicted on (I think) 9 felony counts.

Anyhoo ... that's all in the past. The Mosleys are reportedly as nice as pie and were even featured on the cover of Apex to Zenith (the highpointers magazine) about a year ago.

sorry for the mis-information . . . I knew I had read something about shotguns and arrests, etc . . . just didn't remember all the details. In any case, I hear things are all good now, as others have said.

sli74

Yes, Jerimoth "Hill" is easy, but there are easier ones! At least you have to actually WALK a few hundred yards to the RI high point. :rolleyes:

You can probably leave your provisions in the car though. :p

Stinkyfeet

(36 HPs down, 14 to go!)

I think it's great that the new owners are'nt " pack'in heat ".
That's great that they permit hiking every weekend on their property.
If I ever I ever thought about doing the high points list I'd have to say, that Jerimoth Hill would be #50, right after MCKINLEY! :)

Speaking of pointless highpoints, I drove an hour across Indiana yesterday (while on a business trip to Indianapolis) to bag "Hoosier Hill". It was literally an indistinguishable bump on a farm. Not very memorable, but it was my 7th state highpoint. Had to walk about 20 feet from the trailhead, climbing a whopping 4 vertical feet.

Jerimoth Hill will be exponentially harder!

giggy said:
as a native Rhody, the best part is you can taste some of the extracurricular activities known in the greater providence area. ;) ;)

you know, haven brothers, NY system weiners, coffee milk, awful awfuls, quahogs, federal hill italian food - and strip clubs. :D

http://www.quahog.org/attractions/index.php?id=53

http://www.quahog.org/cuisine/index.php?id=7

I'm not sure if Haven Brothers exists any longer, it's been a while since I was out drinking at 2:00 AM which is the ONLY time that food tasted any good. All the rest of the stuff you mentioned still exists though.

And I can tell you from experience that the previous owner of Jerimoth Hill did indeed "pack some heat".

forestgnome said:
um...why bother?
Like others have said, part of it is to travel.

Views And Brews started as a joke. But I really fell in love with NY as I traveled all over the state, doing some easy, and some hard hikes. We enjoyed the scenery, history, people, and of course - the great beer!

And coming soon:

Views And Brews VERMONT!!! :D :D :D :D

Now, can we sign up someone for Rhode Island? :D