Rhode Island High Point - are you game?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark S said:
For the record ... though Mr. Richardson was quite eccentric and definitely didn't like highpointers, he was not the one involved in the now infamous shotgun incident. It was actually a couple of neighbors who over-reacted to a couple of highpointers from Alaska skulking around in the night. They (the neighbors) were convicted on (I think) 9 felony counts.

Anyhoo ... that's all in the past. The Mosleys are reportedly as nice as pie and were even featured on the cover of Apex to Zenith (the highpointers magazine) about a year ago.

Maybe true, but it was Richardson's gay son and his partner who turned my brother and me away at shotgun point (right in front of our mom, who was sitting in our car on the public roadway, as we were on our return home from a Thanksgiving visit with relatives in Rhode Island). BTW, the high point is less than 100 meters from the road. The Richardson's did have a valid complaint, IMHO, as "renegade" highpointers were showing up at all hours of the day and night, walking up their driveway (which is the right-away to Brown University's land, upon which sits the high point; sound familiar? see Cabot Trail right-away thread), and leaving trash all over the place. Hence, the High Pointers Club tried to establish a truce with the Richardson's, by supervising four or five Saturday open dates a year, which was only partially successful. When the old man died, the son and his partner decided to pull up stakes for the sake of their privacy (at least this is the story that I have been told by a reliable HP source).

SherpaKroto said:
RI 100 Highest. That should keep everyone giggling for awhile. Darn, they don't even have a patch :rolleyes:

Then again, I don't have that State Highpoint (along with countless others...)

I have summited diamond hill many times. :p :p Summer of 2005, skimom and I turned back 3/4 of the way up due to brutal july conditions. :eek: :p :) :eek:

SherpaKroto said:
RI 100 Highest. That should keep everyone giggling for awhile. Darn, they don't even have a patch :rolleyes:

Then again, I don't have that State Highpoint (along with countless others...)

What hath God wrought? lol :eek: :)

I guess the Catskill's have their 3500 club while RI can have it's 350 club..... imagine that, 100 hills over 350' ?

Last edited:
So Dr. D ... you've got to be getting pretty close to done by now. How many HPs are you up to?

Sorry about your bad experience on mighty Jerimoth.

(I can't believe a thread on RI's highpoint has over 1,000 views with close to 50 replies :eek: )

RI High Point

I visited there last summer as part of my mission to visit every state and every state's high point. It was a very short walk on a new trail that the current owners made ( with some help from the Highpointers Club). I was happily surprised at how lovely the new trail was and at how generous the new owners are in allowing access every weekend- which is not the case with several of the privately owned highpoints.

Anyway- enjoy your visit.

Ri

When I hiked it, ~10 years ago, it was on the Memorial Day open event. There were a lot of people milling around the open field at the Brown Univ astronomy site looking for the 'exact' high point, which was, I think, a long boulder about 18" high. In those days, if you touched the sign on the main road that said 'high point', it was good enuff to qualify - better than a butt load of buckshot anyway.

That last 18" was a 5.11, however.