Shopping for 0F Sleeping Bag...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a 0F sleeping bag, but am on a bit of a budget. Would like to get a lightweight one, preferably down, and if not a very compressable synthetic.

I stumbled across one by a company called "The Backside" which I know little about. However this bag intrigues me, and it's around $100. Synthetic, but not the usual polarguard fill:

http://www.kodiakoutback.com/detail.aspx?ID=208&utm_source=shpn&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=cmp1

Anyone have any experience with this company or even this bag?
Any other bags that fit my specs?

I have heard a few folks using the Backside make. I haven't really heard good or bad either way. I would caution that most synthetics might start their first year keeping you comfortable to what the manufacturer states, but you will find within several years, the synth fills just won't maintain a level of loft to allow you to be comfortable at the original bag rating. I have owned 2 synth bags and returned my first synthetic bag after several years (early 90's) as I was shivering at 35 degrees on several trips (20 degree bag). Other than my extreme wet weather synth bag for summer, I stay with Down. It might bust your budget up front but it will return quite a premium down the road as it will easily last 15-20 years if you take good care of it.

Marmot Never Summer bag

I found the Marmot Never Summer bag at REI for $199 in the long size a few years ago and have seen it since for the same price on close-out sales at some of the usual web sites - Sierra Trading Post, Back Country Gear, Mountain Gear, etc. I haven't had any problems with it and have slept in it down to 10 below thus far. It's a 650 fill which I think is why it's often on sale since the newer bags have higher "fill power." I think that's a pretty good price for a good 0 degree bag as I searched a while for a better one.

A couple of thoughts on bags-

Generally, no name synthetic fill tends to be heavier and not compress as well.

I currently own two sleeping bags- a 20 degree synthetic Kelty bag and half of an old down rectangular Eddie Bauer bag, onto which I sewed a light polyester back to make it a "bag". I use the down when it's above 35 or 40. I use the polyester on top when it's hot, down on top when it's cold. I use the kelty and the down bag together in the winter, with down booties and sleep better than I do at home, and I'm a cold sleeper.

You might consider at least looking on eBay for a used down bag, see what's there. Personally, I'd be willing to gamble a little on a used down bag from eBay versus a new cheaper synthetic bag.

If you are concerned about the cost, you might ask at each of the stores to see when they clearance their display models. I picked up a nice synthetic 0° for $70 because it was a display model and they had changed their colors for the new year.

I also got a digital camera a few years ago the same way, it was marked down from $400 to $250. All you need to do is ask, the worst that can happen is they say they don't have any.

Two thoughts:
- I have a Backside sleeping bag rated to -30 degrees. I reckon it's about a pound heavier than a name brand but about the same compression size. I would think the -30 rating is optimistic to be honest but then I sleep quite cold so others might find it more agreeable. Anyway, for the price (about $120), it's a great bag, IMO.

- I just noticed (last week) that LL Bean were having a great sale on their bags. However, I just checked the website again and I noticed they are no longer selling their Mt Washington bags which I believe were their top-of-the-line down bags as of last week. This leads me to think that checking the Bean outlet stores in the next couple of weeks might be a good idea if you're interested in these bags and a bargain price.

The sportsman guide.com sometimes has some amazing bargains. My friend bought a down 20 degree bag there for $79. better than a year ago. I don't know the brand but he has used it a lot and is quite happy with it. I am told they buy leftovers and imperfects from other mfg relable them and sell at a discount. My guess is it is hit or miss but who knows you may find something.

if you can get up to freeport maine, there was some great deals @ northface on bags. was there friday afternoon and they had quite a few. am not in the market for a bag, but they had some for 30 % off and some for 50% off.

I was just at the North Face Outlet in Freeport and they had one 0° synthetic bag left, it was %0% off $169, or $80 new. You might want to call them and see if they'll reserve it...

Their 900 fill down 15° bags were also marked down, but I think they were like $130 with the discount.

AntlerPeak said:
Ok here you go a -31 degree down bag made in canada if I read the thing right.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=99819
Could I offer a word of caution - that when you get to such low prices, the manufacturer has probably cut quality substantially to make up the difference. That might mean poor stitching quality, cheaper nylon with weak spots that could leak down or wear out over time. Cheap zippers that don't work smoothly and over time, simply fail or zippers without anti snag tape, causing them to constantly jam, again leading to failure.
All which limit the performance or lifetime of the bag.

Last edited:
Rick said:
I hate to be a harbinger of bad news, but could I offer caution, that when you get to such low prices, the manufacturer has cut quality to make up the difference. That might mean poor stitching quality, cheaper nylon with weak spots that could leak feathers or wear out over time. Cheap zippers that don't work smoothly and over time, simply fail or zippers without anti snag tape, causing them to constantly jam, again leading to failure.
All which limit the performance or lifetime of the bag.

I just threw that one out there as a low cost option. I never heard of that company so proceed at your own risk. It may be a viable option for someone strapped for cash and it may also be of reasonable quality. It depends on a lot of things I suppose.

For many people two or three one night weekends is about the max for winter camping. If you take reasonable care of the thing and use it as suggested above it might serve to meet your needs. I wouldn't take an extended trip with it unless of course it proved itself over time. I would think for limited use it may be worth the gamble. Who knows?

A good indicator of quality is a warranty

Most good name brands offer a lifetime warranty. I have personally tested that with Slumberjack, Therma-rest, and Kelty. For those three, the store I bought them at, Gander Mountain in MI, was more than happy to make good on the manufacturer warranty right then and there. Eventually something will go wrong with your stuff, and it's nice if the manufacturer realizes this and is willing to help you out.

Many lesser quality brands will offer shorter warranties, for example- Coleman has a 5 or 10 year gaurantee, I can't remember which. It's just nice to know that they stand by their work.

Lots of cheaper stuff works just as well as the more expensive stuff, but generally you get what you pay for. A sleeping bag is a vital piece of gear, suck it up and spend 50 bucks more to get a guality item rather than getting by with some junk to replace a year or two later. Although, I have NOT followed my own advice MANY times.

I agree with you guys on the quality issue. I am not even looking for a bag as I "stole" one at REI last year when I wandered into the Federal Way store last spring to discover this real nice Sierra Designs down bag at half price.

Not to beat a dead horse but this one piqued my interest as I have never heard of the company in question. Our Canadian hiking friends may have though. I have a few Canadian friends who are always saying "you Americans know nothing about Canada!" Well I did take a couple of college courses in Canadian history to learn my Canadian friends were quite right when it comes to "our" knowledge of the northern neighbors. So then is this a decent bag or not is the question.

I tracked down the company web site to learn they have been around for 100 years. But they are silent on the site about warrantees, though their stuff looks pretty good. I sent them an e-mail to question what their warrantee policy is. If I get an answer I'll post it, because if that bag at the price on the link above is good quality it is a steal.

So to all of you Canadian hikers who visit this board, What do you think of Woods Canada products?

Here is a link to the site. http://www.woodscanada.com/products/sleepingbags/ultraseries/13

AntlerPeak said:
So to all of you Canadian hikers who visit this board, What do you think of Woods Canada products?

I'm from The Great White North and have seen Woods products in many quality outdoor shops. They are on the low end of the stores offerings but if I was on a budget they seem like a good deal.

Happy Shopping,

Shayne

moonstone makes some decent synth bags IMO - I have the minima which is rated 20 degrees (my 3 season bag) - its pretty light, compresses good, etc....

They also make a 0 bag called the optima - I think are about 150-170 retail. They aren't cream of the crop like western mtning, Feathred freinds, etc.. - but I would rate them with marmot, TNF, etc.. - minimal bells and whistles which is nice.

So I guess we answered w7xman's initial question there are some low cost possibilities out there that may be worth something afterall. I never heard of this company as I said before and figured if they were any good some of you would have. This may or may not be of use to anyone out there on a tight budget. But if it is then all the better. I remember what those tight budget days were like. Thanks guys.

Last edited: