Little kid sleeping bag

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Early Bird

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking to buy a little kid size sleeping bag that works for backpacking, not something from Pottery Barn Kids or with princesses or super heroes. I just a ordered a kid sized one (REI Kindercone) and when it arrived it's huge -looks great for a ten year old, I'd guess. Fits kids to 5' tall or so. (Should have checked those specs first.) It will be great when she is older, but now I'm looking for something half the size, appropriate for a 36"-48" kid. I can't seem to find anything online. Have any of you with little ones found anything? Do you just go with fleece blankets? We need it for lean-to shelters, huts, tent camping. It would be nice if it packed down, though I can stuff it in a compression sack. I'm about ready to make one if there aren't any out there. I figure Ragged Mountain might sell the materials I'd need. Thanks for any knowledge you can share.

Mine weren't that small when we started in the winter; I always gave them the best stuff I had and carried it if they couldn't. Lots of wasted weight, down and nylon...but "that's your job". ;)
Making one could work. I'd double or triple up a decent, old rectangular down bag.

I had the same problem ... we just went with a couple of five-footers from TNF -- one's a "tigger" and the other a "blue ridge," and they're nearly identical. They were pretty big when they were 3 and 4 years old, but they're about perfect now (7 and 9) and they'll probably be OK for a few more years. In winter, we stuff those bags inside another +20F adult bag, and it works pretty well down into subzero temps. When they were really little we didn't do any winter camping, and they never seemed to mind the extra space much.

We have the Mountain Hardwear Mountain Goat for our daughter (she's five) and it's worked well so far.

I wish the folks posting lived closer to us - I would to plan a trip with other kids!!

Good stuff. Thanks!
I'm breathing a sigh of relief that I don't need to make one because I am not actually that crafty.
Glad to know that the Kindercone I bought will work out sooner than anticipated. My husband and I have bags that zip together. We can throw her in that. I got that idea from the Kid's Forum. Great info there. Thanks Tom. And Pudgy G: it may be that southern VT is a middle ground for us. I'd love to plan a trip there with another kid. Stratton Pond, over Stratton Mtn. and around was where we first brought my daughter when she was 19 months for her first actually backpacking trip. We are looking to do something this summer, but having her walk. If that sounds good to anyone, I hear kids have more fun with other kids and I'd love to have others join.

We could definitely swing a southern VT trip and I would love to plan something. Our daughter enjoys the outdoors, but I think she would love it even more if she had another kid to explore/play with (I think your daughter is around the same age?). I've been to Stratton Mtn many moons ago, but haven't been back since. We don't backpack that much (more dayhiking), but did some backpacking trips last year where Norah hiked on her own (finally!). Our summer is booking up quickly - perhaps we could block off a weekend and work out specifics as it gets closer. Would love to make it happen!

You may want to ask on Trailspace as well. The owners, Dave and Alicia have kids and I vaguely recall them posting a while back about some online retailers who sell camping gear for kids. Dave and Alicia live in Maine, so they would be familiar with your weather.

Hi Millie,

My daughter uses this one from Bass Pro Shop that measures about 4x2 feet rectangular. She's used it in the back yard and campgrounds in a tent, but I would carry a fleece to wrap her in inside the bag as well personally. I've always given her something extra.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-Rectangular-Sleeping-Bag-for-Kids/product/50464/

They have a couple others as well, none of which seem to be very good for true cold weather, but hers at least fits her pretty well and does the job in summer. They also have a pink camo one for girls if you like ;)

Hope to hike with you guys again this summer - I plan to advertise a few more open call hikes for kids in the 4-6 YO range when the weather is warm again.

I gave my 2 year old nephew the "Woobie" from REI as a christmas gift but it hasn't been used. Looking at it, it looks pretty nice as a sleeping bag. My sister intends to use it while car camping in the summertime..

Jay

Thanks, everyone. That Woobie looks great! Too small for us already, but otherwise great. Raven, I like that Bass Pro one. It's lightweight and not expensive. We would enjoy another summertime kids' hike. I'll keep my eyes out for the post, but feel free to email us also.

I found a kid-sized Kelty bag at FarmWay in Bradford VT when my little one first started backpacking (she was 5)... I'll have to get her a bigger one this year (she'll be 9).. The Kelty is a reasonable weight for backpacking and, IIRC, its a 20* bag... For a slightly bigger kid, you could go with a smaller women's bag... My oldest uses an REI women's bag and it keeps her nice and toasty.

Could one take an adult bag and bungy it to the length desired and fold up the extra length at the end? (Like some of us do with a loaf of bread?) If it is a mummy bag, might that work?