Shopping for 0F Sleeping Bag...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I told you guys I'd let you know if I got an answer from Woods about their warrantee. The woods company provides a "limited lifetime" warrantee for their bags. It does not cover what would be considered "normal wear" But it does cover workmanship, materials, construction etc under the lifetime warrantee.

My guess is though inexpensive they are quality products. As I said I am not looking to buy a bag but just followed this up as a curiosity. Since I posted the link to the $129 down bag and questioned the quality I followed up as best I could to get info. It seems you could do a worse and this is a quality company.

AntlerPeak - You've really done a bang-up job on this.
From what I hear, this Woods bag (and Woods Corp in general) seems to be perhaps the equivalent of our Coleman or Slumberjack (I still 3 down Slumberjack bags, from when I was first getting back into backpacking - which is how I can relate to the difference in quality).

I do agree, though that if you really can only afford $130 and it comes down to any synth bag vs. this Woods bag, I would go with the Woods bag simply because if you take care of the bag, you will still have a -30 heavy down bag, vs a heavy synth bag that gets colder over time.

I guess, I would also want to know that their Arctic down is truly 550 fill down and doesn't have any feathers or cheap down with the sharp points mixed in. :eek:

Thanks

Thanks to all of you for your insight here. I'm scouting ebay for a few more days, and then I'll probably bite it for a good down bag, though antlerpeak's bag finds look good too...

Just temporarily hurting for cash, but that's something I can get through...just bought a digital slr, but without a sleeping bag, my use outdoor use of it in the coming months will be limited.

Thanks again for all your insight. Any more finds keep em coming!

~w7x

SherpaKroto loves the backside. I think he owns a few of them. On his advice, I bought the 0 degree bag last year and have been impressed with it. I havent been out on a night where it was 0 or below, but I was roasting at 14. He is probably the person you should talk to or simlply search on here for the discussion from last year on this.

AntlerPeak said:
It seems you could do a worse and this is a quality company.

I'd say Woods is a real "middle of the road" company. We sold their bags at the store I worked at. I was relatively unimpressed, but there definitely are worse. Most of their bags had cotton/poly liners, which I just see as a big no-no, at least for backpacking. Also, all of the bags we sold used Thinsulate insulation, which doesn't impress me much either. I have since had a 35F Slumberjack bag with Thinuslate Extreme insulation, which lost considerable loft within the first year, although I used it in total probably 40 plus nights that year.

check online

try to get a used one on sale online. you will probably pay half. get down, because synthetic never seems to be as warm as they say. for example, last year ebay had a couple top brand 0 bags for sale for 100 apiece. i think they listed for 200 or more. perhaps people could chip in with some good sites to check

Try Campmor

Campmor has a nice selection of 0 degree bags under 100 bucks (and yes I type out bucks :p ) Personally, I'm a fan of TNF bags, but i still have mine from about 7 years ago so i don't know how they've changed, but for cheaper Sierra Design and Kelty are supposed to be good.
You've got to scroll down for the mummy bags and the better prices.

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...goryId=73070&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=244

MMb
adk 46r 5048