Skiing Left Gully and Hillman's Highway - 4/30/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metsky

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Monica and I stayed up in Gorham so we could get an early start for Saturday, which promised to be a nice weather day. We grabbed breakfast at McD's and pulled into Pinkham right around 7:00, which was good enough to get a spot on the right side of the main lot. We booted up and headed out by 7:20. Monica was on alpine gear so she was carrying skis and boots and wearing hiking boots. I planned on skinning in tele gear so I had my tele boots on and carrying skis for the bottom section. I was able to skin from about 1/3 of the way up to Hojos.

Me, skinning up
IMG_0166.JPG

It was raining slightly as we left Pinkham, and it gradually turned to snow as we climbed. The hiking/skinning temperatures were great, we didn't over heat or get exhausted, reaching Hojos in 1:25. Just a short break there as we wanted to beat the crowds and we climbed up to the Bowl, arriving by 9:15 or so. Left Gully was our objective so we headed up to some rocks below the Chute and started our change over. There were some folks up in the Bowl but not that many, only a few people we skiing already. The Crevasse below the Lip was nasty looking and I was amazed at the people climbing below and through the area.

Arriving at the Bowl
IMG_8512.JPG

We spent some time rearranging packs and leaving unneeded gear before headed up the empty boot ladder. There were only a few folks above us, maybe a dozen at most. The climb was as usual, steady, slow, and enjoyable. Just below the top out was quite steep; we were using our hands in the foot holds above us. By the time we reached the top there was nothing but sunshine; a completely blue bird day! We watched a few folks who had arrived before us drop in while we rested and hydrated. Eventually the top was clear so we put our skis on and got ready. Monica skied the run without stopping so I have no pics of her. I took my time with a few stops along the way. Conditions were prime; soft corn on top of a pretty firm base.

Left Gully boot ladder
IMG_8550.JPG

Steep section at the top of Left Gully
IMG_8565.JPG

I met up with Monica at the bottom of the run and we marveled at how many people were now streaming into the Bowl. The TRT looked like the line for Space Mountain and maybe it was. We picked up our gear and dropped a bit lower so we could eat lunch out of the wind. By then the boot ladders were filling up for Left Gully, Chute, and Right Gully. Very few folks were attempting the Lip or Lobster Claw.

Getting ready to drop in
IMG_8567.JPG

Well earned rest
IMG_8584.JPG

Crowds arriving in the Bowl
IMG_8609.JPG

Chute boot ladder
IMG_8658.JPG

After lunch we headed down to Hillmans which promised some great skiing and fewer people. Ran into Marta on the hike down to Hojos (Little Headwall was not an option) who confirmed our decision. Stopped only for a few seconds at Hojos before heading up to Hillmans - this would be my first run ever there. Ran into a work buddy coming down after his run, small world. We again reorganized our packs for the climb and started up. The climb was further than either of us really expected, but there wasn't a huge amount of traffic on the boot ladder so it was OK when we wanted to rest. Topped out in the beautiful sun and took a well deserved rest. We both knew this was our last run so we enjoyed the beautiful weather. It was so much more quiet here in Hillman’s. We had taken the right fork, although the left fork also looked quite good. Enough waiting around, time to ski!

Goodbye to the Bowl
IMG_8654.JPG

Hello Hillmans
IMG_8694.JPG

Hillman’s was also skiing fantastically, a little heavy up top but nothing to mess you up. It is a nice long run, more enjoyable than Left Gully but without that pucker factor up top that is so alluring. As I stopped to take photos of Monica I heard my name from the boot ladder, and chatted with Greg a friend from NET. He was on his 4th run of the day (Hillmans, Duchesse, Dodges, and Hillmans) so I tipped my hat to the energy of youth and kept going. We had a great time on the run, but the moguls at the bottom finished me off. That was all I had in me that day. Ran into Marcia and Rich (Harvard caretaker) at the bottom of the run and caught up a bit. We drank more water, ate more chocolate, and started down.

Monica ripping it up
IMG_8750.JPG

On Sherby, Hillmans in the background
IMG_8801.JPG

You could carefully pick a line down from Hillmans to the Sherby, and then cruise pretty well until the rope about halfway down. Some folks took skis off at the two muddy patches but I did some careful grass skiing and kept them on until the rope. Big crowd there taking off skis, very festive atmosphere. The TRT was much softer than in the morning as we descended, first on snow and then dirt/rock for the last ½ mile. A beer in the parking lot was extremely welcome, lots of tired bodies and smiles all around. We finished around 4:45 under beautiful sunshine and minimal wind. Couldn’t ask for a better way to end April.

All the Pictures Sorry for the large image size.
Lots of video to follow.

"As I stopped to take photos of Monica I heard my name from the boot ladder, and chatted with Greg a friend from NET. He was on his 4th run of the day (Hillmans, Duchesse, Dodges, and Hillmans) so I tipped my hat to the energy of youth and kept going."

Greg Petrics from Dartmouth by any chance?

Here is a YouTube clip from a snowboarder doing Dodges (notice ice ax for self arrest if needed).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QidZT9H_CDQ&feature=related

Dave - Awesome TR and fantastic photos. Makes me wish I was a skier! Thanks for sharing!

Karl

The next day we had a late breakfast at the Moonbeam in Gorham and headed over to Cannon for some more turns on our way home. It was a spectacular day, even warmer than Saturday and much fewer people. We met a boarder in the parking lot who was headed up to the top, we weren't sure yet exactly where we were headed. The snow started a short ways up from the base lodge, but was thin in a few places. We had to carry twice and then met up with some folks coming down under the main quad who let us know we could follow the snow from there all the way to the summit.

A little sketchy down low
IMG_8821.JPG

Solid snow from here on up
IMG_8841.JPG

We were pretty tired from Saturday so we decided to just go part way up Profile and get some nice turns in the sun. There was a skin track going nearly straight up and we ended up following it for most of the climb. Profile was still holding on fine, except for the one choke point. We went a bit over half way up Profile before deciding to call it a day.

Skin track on Profile
IMG_8860.JPG

Some lovely turns
IMG_8890.JPG

Beautiful Corn
IMG_8909.JPG

Monica lower down on the mountain
IMG_8944.JPG

We had a great run, having to stop at the big gap and walk a stretch before getting a few more turns lower down the mountain. It felt great to ski without helmet or kneepads, just shorts, t-shirt and shell pants. I'm planning to hit Slackfest in a few weeks but this really felt like the end of the ski season for me, especially just two weeks after the marathon (note the shirt I'm wearing). We finished up and headed to the car for a beer and the sunny ride home.

Headed to the last patch of snow
IMG_8997.JPG

It was worth it
IMG_9010.JPG

All the pictures are here - http://www.hikethewhites.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=2156

Video to come.

Isn't that why everyone posts trip reports?

:p

More good stuff, Dave. Just two days before you were there, I hiked from the base road between the Tram and Zoomer parking lots to the top of Cannon in my T2 Scarpa's with Tua tele skis lashed on little Osprey pack, and was able to ski all the way from just below the top of Profile lift to the base, with just two short (less than a meter) sections of grass to slide over (the two main water bar berms on the upper Avalanche Trail). Amazing how fast the snow is disappearing now.

We drove past on Friday on the way north and there was definitely more snow then. There end is near, unless you want to walk all the way back down from the bottom of Profile.

I think that the lower Avy will hang in there for a while longer, as they really loaded up that slope with machine made this winter. Those 500-600 verts are definitely worth multiple hikes up and ski downs. :)