Solo hiking above treeline in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forget statistics. A bad accident above treeline (or below) when solo in winter certainly decreases your chances of survival. Look at me for instance (I know - this was not hiking above treeline, but you'll get the drift). I was skiing all weekend with my buddies. The ONE time I ventured off ahead of them I had the misfortune to hit a tree. I don't know how long I was unconscious and my injuries would have prevented me from getting out of there alive. This was on a green trail (Falls Brook) at Killington.

I have often hiked above treeline in winter. If I am able to hike again in winter I will not do it solo. But that is only my thinking, for me. YMMV.

Good thread. It is instructive to explore the notion of alone a little more. How alone you are when you hike serves to multiply all the aforementioned risk factors significantly.
For example, if I fall and break my leg while hiking *alone* on the Tucks Trail Saturday morning at 10 am, it will be about 4 minutes until I am found by the next hiker up and rescue is initiated. How long will it be before someone finds me after I’ve broken my leg while bushwhacking alone up the East side of Mt. Hancock on Tuesday afternoon?

I wouldn’t hesitate to take the first hike. I confess to have also placed myself in the second situation, especially on skis, but the gear one takes and lines one skis is very different.

SherpaKroto said:
Forget statistics. A bad accident above treeline (or below) when solo in winter certainly decreases your chances of survival. Look at me for instance (I know - this was not hiking above treeline, but you'll get the drift). I was skiing all weekend with my buddies. The ONE time I ventured off ahead of them I had the misfortune to hit a tree. I don't know how long I was unconscious and my injuries would have prevented me from getting out of there alive. This was on a green trail (Falls Brook) at Killington.

I have often hiked above treeline in winter. If I am able to hike again in winter I will not do it solo. But that is only my thinking, for me. YMMV.

SK-

Although I don't know you, I followed the thread concerning your accident and I am very greatful to hear that you are recovering. However, with all due respect, I am talking about hiking not skiing. Of course I occasionally backcountry ski alone as well, which maybe further evidence of me being a moron.
:eek:

Periwinkle said:
I get your point about weather and such, but all things being equal, I believe that those of us who choose to solo need to go the extra mile when it comes to erring on the side of caution.

So I will throw caution to the wind if I am in a group.

Last edited:
Pig Pen said:
So I will throw caution to the wind if I am in group.
Let me tell you a true story. One winter I climbed Mt Washington with a group on a date that had been selected 6 months in advance. There was fresh blowing snow and we used 4wd to get up the last hill on Rte.16 to Pinkham. On the summit the winds were so strong that lighter members couldn't walk alone and had to be supported by others. If someone had been injured I'm not sure what we could have done. The leader chose not to go to Monroe so I went back a couple weeks later on a day selected for good forecast, I sat around above treeline with my mittens off eating lunch.

Which trip was safer? Do you see how group dynamics can lower the safety margin?

Now I nearly always hike alone above treeline, it gives me more control of my actions and I only go on nice days which is more fun anyway.

I think a major point of a thread like this is to give the inexperienced folks something to think about. With the right conditions, equipment and good judgement learned through experience a person is fine hiking or climbing solo above treeline in the winter. An inexperinced person most likely does not have the necessary judgement, or even the right equipment to help themself if they run into a problem. Even in the summer, I go hiking prepared to spend the night if necessary. I think there is a fine line between going light and fast (a relative term in my case) and having enough gear to survive if you get stuck.

Have done it on blue sky days on well travelled trails. Wouldn't try if weather, visibility or trail conditions were questionable.

Pig Pen said:
Maybe I'm a moron, but I've never really understood why solo hiking, winter or otherwise, is considered to be significantly more dangerous than hiking with a group. You guys state this as if it goes without saying but you're going to have to spell it out for me. Here is what I am looking for.

1. How many winter hikes occur.
2. How many times an unacceptably bad thing happens when winter hikes occur.
3. How many of those unacceptably bad things happened because it was a solo winter hike. (or in the case of the original thesis: a solo winter hike above treeline)

The biggest variables are weather and judgement. I hope I cleared this up for everyone.
I see what you are trying to say. Accidents happen, regardless of what time of the year it is, no matter how many trees are around you, and no matter what the size of the group you are in. But if they do, the 3 factors we have been discussing start to conspire against you. Cold, exposure, and lack of assistance can lead to serious problems.

The point I was trying to make in my previous post is that in general, it is more dangerous to hike alone, or in the winter, or above tree line. Combining them, statistically, produces the biggest risks. What the exact numbers are, I can't say.

You are certainly correct that judgment and weather should play a part in any hike.

But as we all know, "We all do dumb things". And the weather changes. (Maybe we should send in some ideas to Geico! :D )

And speaking of this, I was reminded that I climbed Cascade, alone, in the Winter, with the winds raging around me so hard that I could not stand up! :eek:

Oh well! :eek:

RoySwkr said:
Let me tell you a true story. One winter I climbed Mt Washington with a group on a date that had been selected 6 months in advance. There was fresh blowing snow and we used 4wd to get up the last hill on Rte.16 to Pinkham. On the summit the winds were so strong that lighter members couldn't walk alone and had to be supported by others. If someone had been injured I'm not sure what we could have done. The leader chose not to go to Monroe so I went back a couple weeks later on a day selected for good forecast, I sat around above treeline with my mittens off eating lunch.

Which trip was safer? Do you see how group dynamics can lower the safety margin?

Now I nearly always hike alone above treeline, it gives me more control of my actions and I only go on nice days which is more fun anyway.

Do You Do It...Yes.I never feel selfish but enlightened.Does not put a strain on my family because I did it before I had a family and they knew that I did it.I never feel stupid for doing it or say I should'nt have done it.
I think Roy shows some good comparisons here. Know thy self and/or the Group you are hiking with. There will always be objective hazards that need to be understood which I think is a big part of why we all Hike, Climb, and Ski.There will always be a risk factor.Experience and understanding of ones abilities and keeping that understanding analogous to the situation is what is key wether it be Solo or with a Group.

I have yet to really experience above tree-line conditions in the winter. I did one trip earlier this year in late march (just after the first day of spring) summiting Liberty and that wasn't bad with gentle winds and wasn't too cold. Week or 2 later i did Eisenhower and it was a very windy day. Luckily there was the summit pile of rocks to shelter behind or it would have been a very unpleasent stay.

Point is I learned just how dangerous being above tree-line in the winter can be and because of that I'll never hike there alone. In the summer i have no problem because if, heaven forbid, i fall and injure myself i'll more likely have a fellow hiker find me and offer assistance comapred to the wintertime when the trails are mostly devoid of hikers. Being with one or more people i'll feel more secure. Weather doesn't bother me too much but if i get too cold or the conditions are too hectic, i won't hesitate to turn around. You just have to be able to know when the correct time to turn around is no matter how close to the summit you might be.

RoySwkr said:

Well, that was an eye opener. I never really thought about it in that perspective before. Makes me think of all the accident reports I've read where one member of the group or the group pushes, leading to the injury or death of hiking partners. It also brings to mind group hikes I've done where I've just pushed past my usual pace to keep up.

It's not just newer member that learn things here. I think you've made a very valid point that I'll be keeping in mind from now on.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'll be soloing above tree line more than I do. I'll still keep in mind my own abilities, etc.

I am going to join the RoySwkr/Periwinkle camp here - I have soloed three seasons and have been very safe - I do like the margin of safety that hiking partners provide, particularly in the winter. That being said - the partners need to be people you are comfortable with - I have seen people with a lot of experience push newbies into dangerous situations - way beyond their comfort zones and there are folks who are never adequatley prepared or that will not turn around - summit or bust mentality...
Either can be safe - Either can be dangerous.

Pig Pen said:
Maybe I'm a moron, but I've never really understood why solo hiking, winter or otherwise, is considered to be significantly more dangerous than hiking with a group. You guys state this as if it goes without saying but you're going to have to spell it out for me.

I have no statistical data to back this up, but I have my past experience that has forged my opinions. Solo is more dangerous than being in a group. Winter is more dangerous than summer. Solo in winter is the most dangerous of the four options.

You said I will have to spell it out, so here is the obvious. If you are hiking with three other people and you fall and break your leg, then one can stay with you and two can go for help. Even if you are hiking with just one other person, then that person knows what your problem is, where you are, and can go for help. If you are solo then you are stuck there until you crawl out or someone happens across you. My take on it is that solo hiking is not more dangerous than hiking in a group if you are talking about the statistics of hiking accidents (the issue of group dynamics is very interesting here, but lets leave actual numerical statistics out as the original poster requested), but it is more dangerous in terms of the final outcome in the event of an accident.

What I am saying is, what are the chances of breaking your leg (or hitting your head and getting a concussion etc) when hiking solo vs. hiking in a group? On the same trail under the same conditions, probably the same. I realize (from personal experience and what others have said) that you might have a better chance of not having an accident when you are solo because a solo hiker tends to be more conservative and more careful. However, the big issue is what happens after the accident. In the case of a serious accident, your chances of survival go way down if you are solo.

Do I have statistics to back this up? No. I have personal experience though and, for me, that counts a lot and it has changed my habits.

Lets rewind to "back in the day". When choosing between hiking solo or not hiking at all, I would hike solo. I would hike solo in winter and I would hike solo above treeline in winter. I even used to backpack solo in winter above treeline. (I think I read too many Reinhold Messner books.)

Fast forward a bit and after a few years there was a reoccurring trend of the post trip "Wow, that was awesome. It was pretty stupid though. But it was cool as hell." I can remember doing a solo winter backpack on the Franconia Ridge and I didn't see anyone for two days. At one point on the ridge I had to drop down some icy/snowy boulders. there was no way to climb down other than to just hop down. I sat there for quite a while thinking "man, it would really suck to break a leg here". I finally slid/jumped down and didn't get hurt. Psyched. Spent an interesting night alone in a snowstorm in a bivy bag that night.

Strain on my family? Yes, that was very real. My parents and close friends would freak out everytime I headed North in the winter. It got to the point where I would lie to my family about what I was doing. I still made sure that I told a friend my route and expected times and did the check in phone calls, but I would lie to my family so they wouldn't worry.

My first small wake up call came during a hike with a friend of mine. We were above treeline and I fell and did quite the split between some boiler plate ice and deep powder and dislocated my hip. I got super lucky and my hip popped back in. It hurt like hell, but I was able to hike out. Did I need my friend? No. Would I have gotten out if I was solo? Yes. My winter solo adventures continued.

Fast forward a little more and then there was my big wake up call. I was above treeline in the Presies in winter with a friend of mine. We were attempting a traverse. I ended up going severely hypothermic (long story that maybe I'll post) and the bottom line is that my friend saved my life. If I was solo I would have died. No two ways about it. You can question if I was solo would I have allowed myself to get into that position? I will say that if this event had not happened then my adventures would most certainly have led to me having enough of a false sense of security that would have eventually put me in the same or similar situation solo.

Fast forward to the near present and my mountain biking accident that broke my leg. A little over two miles from the road on a sunny warm day. I was with a friend and by leaning on him and hopping (very, very painfully to the point of near blackout) we got out of the woods before it got dark. If I had been solo (and I mountain bike solo a lot) I would have been in a world of hurt. That is two miles from a road in the Massachusetts woods on a warm spring day. Sure, like Sherpa's skiing accident, this has nothing to do with hiking solo above treeline in winter, but I learned that it is a lot easier to break your leg than I thought.

If you break your leg or go hypothermic (unless you have experienced severe hypothermia you probably have no idea how fast it can progress) or have any other serious injury above treeline in the winter and no one is around to see it, you are probably toast. If someone is there and can go for help, then you have a chance. I don't need statistical numbers to reach the decision that I will not be doing anymore above treeline winter hikes or winter backpacks solo.

Long post, but in summary it is not the accident, it is what happens after the accident that makes solo adventures more dangerous. Choosing to take on that risk, is of course left to each individual.

- darren

Last edited:
RoySwkr said:
Periwinkle said:
Well, that was an eye opener. I never really thought about it in that perspective before. Makes me think of all the accident reports I've read where one member of the group or the group pushes, leading to the injury or death of hiking partners. It also brings to mind group hikes I've done where I've just pushed past my usual pace to keep up.
Group dynamics are often a significant factor in avalanche accidents:
* You act like it is safe because the other person acts like it is safe...
* People compete, or dare (implicitly or explicity) each other.
* You don't want to show weakness or be the party pooper...
* Someone else is the "expert" and you defer to his judgement even when your alarm bells are ringing.

The above factors occur in other recreations involving risk, but there are some explicit efforts to ferret out risks due to group dynamics in the avalanche safety community. (IIRC, there were some articles on it in Couloir or Backcountry magazines within the past two years.)

Doug

Hiked up Crawford Path last March. Typical March day in the Whites. Temps around 20. Wind chill around zero. Cloudy. Going up Crawford Path was amazing. Snow was stuck to everything, even (it seemed) the bottoms of branches. One of those snow-covered mountain days where you could smell the silence. Everything was as good as it gets. Then, just below Pierce, I broke out of the treeline. Different planet. After a few minutes, I ran back to the cover of those blessed trees. At this point those two voices in my head were fighting for control of my body. One voice was saying, "Do it. This is what you came here for. There are other people around just in case..." The other voice was saying, "There's no need to go any farther. The views are nice right here, and the weather doesn't look too promising. It's the journey, not the destination." So, I stood there running in place for about 10 minutes trying to stay warm, thinking about my wife sitting in the Highland Center drinking tea by the fire (so now you know who the smart one in the family is), and deciding whether to push on to Eisenhower or be satisfied with what I'd done and seen up to this point and call it a day. So, I gathered up all my years' of common sense, and responsibility, and good judgement...and I promptly stored them away in my backpack for use on another day. The freezing, wind-whipped trip to Eisenhower was an adrenaline rush. Despite the lack of blue skies, it was awesome. Got back safe and sound. No incidents. No hypothermia, no ankle injury, no nothing. But somewhere along the ridge between Eisenhower and Pierce, I said to myself, "This ain't worth it." The reward was not worth the risk. I will continue to winter hike alone below treeline, and I'll gladly do the summits in good company. But I told my wife that night that I would no longer go above treeline alone in winter. Lots of variables have been mentioned such as skill level, weather, trail conditions, bail-out routes, etc. But we each have to set our own go or no-go threshold. And this is mine. YMMV. Be careful. Chances are you have people who care about you.

darren said:
Long post, but in summary it is not the accident, it is what happens after the accident that makes solo adventures more dangerous.
Good comment, and true up to a point. Remember however that a guy died of hypothermia one September about .3 miles from Madison Hut when nobody there was able to rescue him. Don't let the presence of others make you feel too safe.

To be more specific, I hike alone only in conditions under which I am likely to survive a minor injury until rescued. Obviously there are conditions such as heart attacks and head trauma which are survivable near an emergency room but maybe not in the backcountry even if you hike with MDs. For lesser injuries such as a broken ankle, companions will make a prompter report to the rescue service but if it is 40 degrees and sunny on Eisenhower in February there will probably be other hikers around. With proper emergency gear you can survive a night out even above treeline if you avoid cold stormy weather. Having someone who will note your non-return is key here.

It is very difficult to analyze risk based on a small number of anecdotal cases. So far anecdotal cases are all we have here.

We have three cases where not being solo in an activity has prevented an unacceptably bad thing from happening. Two of them involved activities not under consideration (Skiing, Biking) and will be discarded. The other case (hypothermia above tree line) appears to be a legitimate case where solo hiking above tree line would have caused an unacceptably bad result. Does this mean that solo hiking above tree line in winter is significantly more dangerous than group hiking above tree line in winter?

I have some anecdotal evidence of my own to offer. I have about 40-50 trips that could be considered above tree line in winter conditions. About half of them were solo. I have never had a problem or a close call, primarily because I am a total chicken and only do this type of thing in reasonable weather. Does this mean that solo hiking above tree line in winter is risk free? Of course not.

Let’s try a bigger sample set by looking at the winter a couple of years ago where there were four deaths in the White Mountains. This was considered a particularly bad winter. Of those deaths I think there were two solos. One was the guy who froze to death on South Twin after camping out in 35 below temperatures. This guy may have made it if there were a babysitter with him but I would argue that he used very bad judgment in that he ignored a pretty dire weather forecast. The other was a guy who fell in Huntington Ravine. I don’t think this person would have made it if anyone else were around.

How many people hiked in the White Mountains in the winter of 2004? How many people hiked solo in the White Mountains in the winter of 2004? I run into a lot of solo hikers in the winter. Of all of those hikers, four died, and one of the ones who died may have been helped if he wasn’t solo, but his problem was judgment not hiking solo. And this was considered a particularly bad winter.

In my original post I stipulated that hiking solo may represent a fractionally greater risk than hiking with a group. My argument is that the added risk is not significant and I offer the winter of 2004 as evidence to back that up.

I am harping on this because I frequently read and hear admonitions to not hike alone without any hard evidence to back it up. I think this takes away from the real safety issues like judgment, self awareness, and weather.

Or am I just mad because I don’t have any friends and have to hike solo? :eek:

Of course after all this trash talking, I will probably fall off a cliff and freeze to death with a broken leg this weekend.

Last edited:
Pig Pen said:
...Of course after all this trash talking, I will probably fall off a cliff and freeze to death with a broken leg this weekend.

Look on the bright side. If you're with someone, he will see you fall off the cliff; and he will hear that distinctive celery-snapping sound of your leg breaking; but the chances are very good that he won't let you freeze to death. Which I believe is the point Darren was trying to make to you. Oh well.

I just received an e-mail from a lurker who will remain unnamed. I think he brings up a good point that requires some clarification from me. He wrote:

"I like the way you brought out the statistics in this argument, showing the relative low overall danger to hikers in the winter, but I think this is also a reflection of the overall attitude that winter hiking is much more dangerous than summer hiking. I feel that because it has been ingrained into the general population that winter hiking is very dangerous, you get a hiking populous that is more well prepared and thus less prone to accident.

It's possible that my argument is total crap, however, especially after seeing some of the people who were on lafayette this past weekend."
**** end Quote

I should say that I am speaking in the context of relatively experienced winter hikers. I would not recommend that someone try Mt. Jefferson solo as their first winter hike. I also agree that winter hiking carries significantly more risk than summer hiking. My arguments concern solo vs non-solo. However, I would not go as far as to say winter hiking is dangerous.

RoySwkr said:
Good comment, and true up to a point. Remember however that a guy died of hypothermia one September about .3 miles from Madison Hut when nobody there was able to rescue him. Don't let the presence of others make you feel too safe.
Actually, it was August 24th. That poor man's story is in 'Not Without Peril'. His son survived. The hut crew member had to make a terrible decision, but he did save the young boy's life.

Some more info here:

http://www.amazon.com/Not-Without-Peril-Misadventure-Presidential/dp/customer-reviews/1929173067