Steve Smith completes red lining of White Mountain trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Redlining" is more open-ended and fluid than a cut-and-dried list of peaks. For those who are curious, my list was composed simply of trails that are in the 28th (2007) edition of the White Mountain Guide, including spurs to shelters, outlooks, etc.
Anybody know if Steve has published what he considers to be the "correct" list? There are a lot of spurs mentioned with no distance, do you put them in a spreadsheet? And the Cohas Trail is mentioned but not fully described, for example.

I had the pleasure of meeting the legend on Mt. Jefferson last summer during that helicopter evacuation of an injured hiker. I consider it a highlight of my hiking years.

Steve is on the right
265aaa.jpg

Just getting to this (was out of the country at the time -- did you know VftT is not available in Europe?).

Congratulations, well-done, Steve!

Obviously, there's lots of hiking still to do!

A friend and I did two-thirds of the Mahoosuc Gorham-to-Grafton-Notch trail last weekend (bailed on the actual Notch et al. in the crappy weather): what a workout! The trail from Route 2 to "Full Goose" shelter was some of the most challenging we'd ever been on!

Hmm, those boots look familiar!

Congrats!

--Mike.

Much congratulations, Steve! I'm sorry I won't be able to congratulate you in person. I do think John's statement is worth highlighting:

there is no one who has completed the redlining PLUS all the other achievements that Steve has accomplished
In additional to being a plain nice guy, Steve is a properly well-rounded mountain man...John's "etc." includes, as one example, a serious amount of volunteer trail work. This is not simply a result of single-minded focus on the goal to the exclusion of other pursuits.