Steve Smith completes red lining of White Mountain trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an incredible accomplishment...congrat to Steve...and thanks for all you've contributed to the hiking community along the way!

Hard to fathom the scope of that accomplishment! Congrats.

You should write a book or open a store about this stuff, you must know something by now:p

That sounds like a wonderful and interesting way to see most of the state! Thanks Steve for always being friendly and helpful with your knowledge of the trails you've covered! That is a major accomplishment and congrats to all that have achieved it and good luck to others that follow in their path!;)

Outstanding!
So now you need a new challenge, Steve....
How about red lining the 1460 miles in meteorological winter for your next trick?! :>)

jt

It is always a huge pleasure to stop in and talk with Steve--and buy books, as I most often do. A most hearty congratulations! :D

-Brenda, aka Seeker

Overachiever...

Congrats, what an amazing journey that must have been.
Hope you write up a trip report!

;)

I count at least three books by Steve Smith in my bookcase and Steve is on the White Mountain Guide committee. All have added tremendously to enjoyment, discovery and safety in the Whites. Heck! the Wanderer was even the source of my favorite Cape Cod paddling guide! ... and only another mapaholic could maintain the inventory and sources of maps that Steve has.

I have two questions if anyone can enlighten me, especially if it is Steve himself:

I expect that when Steve started red lining, it was literally a felt marker on the White Mountain maps. Has this been computerized, perhaps with a GPS overlay?

I also expect that Steve's ventures off trail could make for a colorful map. Is there an encore objective that might make for interesting trip planning and campfire discussion?

The last hike in any quest seems to be just another hike, perhaps even anticlimactic as more eventful, scenic or memorable hikes have come before. The significance lies not in that last stretch of red line but, in Steve's case, another milestone in all that he has accomplished and given to the hiking community. Congratulations and best wishes on that score!

completion of the Redlining Project

Last Wednesday morning(8/4) I picked up MEB and 2 of her friends at Chet's Hiker Hostel in Lincoln, as I was taking them back to the AT in Kinsman Notch.
I suggested that we drop by Steve's for a quick visit.

If you know Steve, you will understand how completely understated he is about his own pursuits / accomplishments. During our visit, his project completion anticipation must have gotten the better of him and he inquired if I was available to join him for his Mahoosuc Notch hike. I can't describe how completely thrilled I was when I received his note on Friday to firm up the hike particulars. I recruited Pam immediately, as I knew she would love to join us AND she bakes the best treats! She did not disappoint :)

All I can say is, Steve was literally smiling ALL DAY LONG.
www.mountainwandering.blogspot.com

Congratulations Steve!

It means a lot to me that you always welcome me like an old friend when I stop in your store to say hi and tell you about some new thing I've done. Wishing you all the best and that the best is still to come!!!

Congratulations, Steve. Awesome accomplishment!! I presume you celebrated with a can or two of Diet Pepsi? :D

BTW, a little birdie told me you officially finished today... Friday the 13th no less! :p

Here is a note for the VFTT community from Steve Smith that I am happy to post on his behalf ~

Thank you, everyone, for your kind comments - it is greatly appreciated. I am lucky indeed to have such good friends in the mountains. This redlining thing shows what can happen when you have a lot of time on your hands for thirty years.

I owe thanks to the many friends and family members who I have hiked with over the years. And special thanks to my wife, Carol, who has trekked many of these miles with me, and who on other occasions has done shuttles or carsports for me, and has also waited patiently in the car while I was off on some of those networks of short, little-used trails. I couldn't have done it without her love and support.

Pam Bales and Cath Goodwin were great company for the last major hike through the Mahoosucs last Sunday, and each brought a special gift for the occasion - thanks! My brother, Drew, went with me Friday on one final short segment that I had missed on the Landing Camp Trail in the Kilkenny, and we discovered a beautiful spot on the bank of the Upper Ammonoosuc River.

A little background on redlining: According to Laura & Guy Waterman's Forest and Crag (page 519), perhaps the original "redliner" was Olympic skier and renowned ski area designer Sel Hannah, who lived in Franconia, NH. Hannah told the Watermans in 1982 that in his younger days he once hiked all the trails in the White Mountain Guide in a single summer! And most likely there was more trail mileage at that time.

Dave Govatski of Jefferson, NH, now retired from the Foreest Service, finished his redlining project in 1997. He extended his trails list to include many less-known routes not described in the guidebook, as well as many of the abandoned trails - over 1600 miles and probably more. Dave is a virtual walking encyclopedia on the natural and human history of the Whites. In an article written by Edith Tucker for the Coos County Democrat after Dave's finish, he noted that he first heard about "redlining a map" from a hutman at Galehead in 1967. Hutmen liked to walk as many trails as possible so they could inform guests about trail conditions, travel times and scenery.

More recent redlining finishers that we know of include AMC cartographer Larry Garland of Jackson, NH (2005), Tony Federer of Kearsarge, NH (2008) and Jadwiga Rosenthal of Center Conway, NH (2009). Jane Gibbons of Sweden, Maine is slated to finish later this month. Who knows how many others are out there?

"Redlining" is more open-ended and fluid than a cut-and-dried list of peaks. For those who are curious, my list was composed simply of trails that are in the 28th (2007) edition of the White Mountain Guide, including spurs to shelters, outlooks, etc. I first made a handwritten list of trails in the guidebook in the late 1980's and occasionally updated the trails and the mileage I'd done. The 28th edition list I used is very similar to a fine Excel spreadsheet prepared by Tony Federer, with only a few minor differences. Tony listed 549 trails and 1420.8 miles.

Thanks again, and good hiking, Steve Smith

www.mountainwandering.blogspot.com

I had the pleasure of meeting the legend on Mt. Jefferson last summer during that helicopter evacuation of an injured hiker. I consider it a highlight of my hiking years.

Steve is on the right
265aaa.jpg

nice!

Awesome accomplishment, Steve.

Here's to many, many more years of exploring the nooks and crannies of the Whites, and sharing them through your wonderful writing.