Summit Rituals/Traditions ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the summit I don't do anything unique but, I have a number of traditions that I do on the way to or from the trail.

I usually stop at the Irving station off exit 23 for coffee.
I usually stop at White Mountain Bagel in Lincoln for breakfast.
I usually stop at The Mountain Wanderer post hike (time and company permitting)

And I usually listen to a CD of mountain/outdoors themed songs that I compiled, unless I'm going for speed and then I'll listen to whatever is going to get me really pumped up that day.

Oh, and what did I title the compilation CD you may ask? Trail Mix #1 of course!!:D :D

I have a look around for a min or 2. Say yip. Walk down.

Some say I have ice water in my blood. :D

dr_wu002 said:
Sorry, but I don't thank anyone or anything but myself for getting there.

-Dr. Wu

He said a lot to be thankful for... not thanking any one person or anything. Maybe just thankful that you have 2 legs. Maybe thankful you were able to make time to go for a hike. Being thankful that you can see that awsome view (depending on cloud cover and fog ofcourse). Be proud to make it there on your own, but be thankful you had the means to do it.

WhiteMTHike said:
We're getting a little off topic here (sorry Darren), Enya has had many CD's since Sail Away, which is on the Orinico Flow cd; one of her first. I'm not familiar with Clannad so I googled their web site. I could tell right away that is her sister in the band, they could pass for twins.

Getting back on topic ... what is your summit ritual, Giggy?

:)

sometimes - throw in grandmaster flash and do some break dancing - the backspin is awesome on adams for self torture - dr wu would like it.

Enya was actually on their furium (sp?) CD - good stuff - all kidding aside - I have 3 enya cd's if you can believe that!! Alphabetically - right next to the ENTOMBED ones. Orinico Flow is the name of the song - on the watermark CD. ok - I digress - no more useless info

seriously on summit - not much - sometimes eat some food - shoot the breeze with others up there - chill out for a few seconds and head down. I don't get all spirtual and stuff up there like some others.

I don't know if it is a ritual or just old age, but I usually drop my pack, pull out my old foam sitpad, pull off my boots and socks and take a good long tug at my water bottle while feeling the little rivulets of sweat evaporate in a cool breeze as I roll my newly freed shoulders back and let the sweet feeling of success tingle through me as I soak in the relaxation and bliss. ;)

Of course, disregard the above if it is only the first of a mult-summit day. :)

No ritual out of the ordinary (take pack off, eat something, enjoy summit for a bit), just the usual rush of good feelings filing my chest and forcing my face into a huge grin... like so: :D

On the summit I usually say a prayer that no one up there is playing their Enya CDs while practicing a martial art. ;)

Used to quietly and discretely "spark one up" but alas...I'm older now....so I wait till I'm at camp. ;) ;)

I take in the views, have a handful of gorp, a swig of water, and press on. Going up to hike I have McDonald's for breakfast. When driving back to the real world I hit Dunkies and location permitting the Mountain Wanderer and a trip to Vesta Pizza.

cantdog said:
Johhny and Robert, who I don't think post here, have an interesting act, which I observed at the top of Scar Ridge with Bob and Geri last year. ..

Johhny and Robert performed an Indian song and dance which we found fascinating. Ourselves - we take a photo, have something to eat, and smile a lot.

i used to always have a 'summit' bar. :) I don't think they make them anymore. I usually take a look all around the summit, looking in the different directions. then i sit down and have something to eat and drink, and take it all in. sometimes i sunbathe. my hiking buddy john has climbed 40 of the hundred highest and sparks one up at the top of every one.
I think some people partake in certain activities on summits if they are alone with each other that is best left unmentioned...laffs.
I like to stop for some chow on the way home always, and if in north conway, i like to stop at EMS and IME.

I used to take my boots off to let my dogs breathe when I got to the summit. That stopped when I broke my toe on the summit of South Baldface. The six miles out was slow and painful. :eek:

Now I do something safer like get my list out and tick off a peak. ;)

Last edited:
I sign the register, have a picture taken by the register, put up a strip of surveyor's tape so the register is more easily seen by the next visitor, have a bite to eat, then dive into the scrub for the next peak!!